Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Should I disable filesystem journaling for my Macbook? Post 302954485 by Ultrix on Tuesday 8th of September 2015 11:55:39 AM
Old 09-08-2015
Should I disable filesystem journaling for my Macbook?

I just learned how to turn filesystem journaling on and off using the diskutil command. I'm thinking I probably don't need it on. I mean, journaling is mostly useful if you have mission-critical files that are frequently being modified, like on a web server or banking system. I don't think it's really that beneficial for a laptop that I just use as my personal computer. On the other hand, turning filesystem journaling off might result in a slight performance boost since there would be less disk thrashing (I'm using an older Macbook with a magnetic hard drive, not one of the newer SSDs). What do you think?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is a journaling file system

Like ext3? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed regarding Journaling File system

Hi frnds, i have ext3 filesytem with journal enabled..... i am interested to know more about it..like..how can i take a backup using journaling... where the metadata is stored....all such stuffs can anyone help plz deep :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deep
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

5. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies
HFS.UTIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       HFS.UTIL(8)

NAME
hfs.util -- HFS/HFS+ file system utility SYNOPSIS
hfs.util -m device mountpoint [mountflag1] [mountflag2] [mountflag3] [mountflag4] hfs.util -p device [mountflag1] [mountflag2] [mountflag3] [mountflag4] hfs.util -J [size] mountpoint hfs.util -U mountpoint hfs.util -N device hfs.util -I mountpoint hfs.util [-aksu] device DESCRIPTION
The hfs.util command supports the mounting, probing, and unmounting of HFS file systems. Options: -a Adopt permissions for the HFS file system at device -I Print out status information about the journal on the HFS file system at mountpoint -J [size] Enable journaling on the HFS file system mounted on mountpoint. An optional size may be specified (e.g. 32M for a 32 megabyte journal). -k Get the UUID key for the HFS file system at device. -m Mount the HFS file system located on device onto mountpoint with the flags mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4 -M Force mount the HFS file system located on device onto mountpoint with the flags mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4. This is a deprecated option. -N Disable journaling on a HFS+ file system located at device -p Probe the device for an HFS file system using the flags mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4 -s Set the UUID key (generates a new UUID value) for the HFS file system at device -u Unmount the HFS file system located at device -U Disable journaling on the HFS+ file system mounted on mountpoint The mountflags referenced above are either: o removable or fixed o readonly or writeable o suid or nosuid o dev or nodev Note that for the device references above, you must only supply the last component of the path to the device in question, such as disk0s2 rather than /dev/disk0s2. SEE ALSO
diskarbitrationd(8) HISTORY
Derived from the Openstep Workspace Manager file system utility programs. Darwin July 16, 2003 Darwin