Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Strange behaviour on Openserver 5.0.2 after 09/2015 Post 302954450 by ChipperEs on Tuesday 8th of September 2015 06:14:41 AM
Old 09-08-2015
Strange behaviour on Openserver 5.0.2 after 09/2015

Dear friends,
i am having some Problems with a Sco Openserver in a Box (normally on VMWare, importing it on a Virtualbox does the same).

When i boot up the system on xx/09/2015 i got fork failed - too many processes during startup.
The programs which should run on the server, do not run.
I can login, but i got no shell, instead i got: cannot fork to run /usr/bin/mapkey: Resource temporarily unavailable (error 11).

When i start the single user mode, then change the date to 08/2015, for example 31/08/2015, and then restart the server; it comes up like a charm, without any error.

If i change then the date of the system to the actual date the Server is working.

I have already tried a lot to make the server start the programs normally at boot time with the right date, but no luck:
disabling init scripts <P80
adding second swap space
adjusting Kernel Parameters (just doubling the values) on scoadmin -> kernel manager -> tune parameters -> users and group configuration

Does anybody know this kind of behaviour and has a hint for me?

thanks a lot
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to ChipperEs For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there, first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown on a fedora machine. Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

7. HP-UX

Strange login behaviour

Hi all, I am using HP-UX and I have just noticed that when I log into the network it seems to save the previous windows that were subsequently closed on previous occasions. Does anyone know when I log in, it seems to display these previous windows, e.g. nedit windows open again? Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies
XINIT(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     XINIT(1)

NAME
xinit - X Window System initializer SYNOPSIS
xinit [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The xinit program is used to start the X Window System server and a first client program on systems that are not using a display manager such as xdm(1) or in environments that use multiple window systems. When this first client exits, xinit will kill the X server and then terminate. If no specific client program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xinitrc to run as a shell script to start up client programs. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: xterm -geometry +1+1 -n login -display :0 If no specific server program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xserverrc to run as a shell script to start up the server. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: X :0 Note that this assumes that there is a program named X in the current search path. The site administrator should, therefore, make a link to the appropriate type of server on the machine, or create a shell script that runs xinit with the appropriate server. Note, when using a .xserverrc script be sure to ``exec'' the real X server. Failing to do this can make the X server slow to start and exit. For example: exec Xdisplaytype An important point is that programs which are run by .xinitrc should be run in the background if they do not exit right away, so that they don't prevent other programs from starting up. However, the last long-lived program started (usually a window manager or terminal emula- tor) should be left in the foreground so that the script won't exit (which indicates that the user is done and that xinit should exit). An alternate client and/or server may be specified on the command line. The desired client program and its arguments should be given as the first command line arguments to xinit. To specify a particular server command line, append a double dash (--) to the xinit command line (after any client and arguments) followed by the desired server command. Both the client program name and the server program name must begin with a slash (/) or a period (.). Otherwise, they are treated as an arguments to be appended to their respective startup lines. This makes it possible to add arguments (for example, foreground and back- ground colors) without having to retype the whole command line. If an explicit server name is not given and the first argument following the double dash (--) is a colon followed by a digit, xinit will use that number as the display number instead of zero. All remaining arguments are appended to the server command line. EXAMPLES
Below are several examples of how command line arguments in xinit are used. xinit This will start up a server named X and run the user's .xinitrc, if it exists, or else start an xterm. xinit -- /usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 This is how one could start a specific type of server on an alternate display. xinit -geometry =80x65+10+10 -fn 8x13 -j -fg white -bg navy This will start up a server named X, and will append the given arguments to the default xterm command. It will ignore .xinitrc. xinit -e widgets -- ./Xorg -l -c This will use the command .Xorg -l -c to start the server and will append the arguments -e widgets to the default xterm command. xinit /usr/ucb/rsh fasthost cpupig -display ws:1 -- :1 -a 2 -t 5 This will start a server named X on display 1 with the arguments -a 2 -t 5. It will then start a remote shell on the machine fasthost in which it will run the command cpupig, telling it to display back on the local workstation. Below is a sample .xinitrc that starts a clock, several terminals, and leaves the window manager running as the ``last'' application. Assuming that the window manager has been configured properly, the user then chooses the ``Exit'' menu item to shut down X. xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid gray & xclock -g 50x50-0+0 -bw 0 & xload -g 50x50-50+0 -bw 0 & xterm -g 80x24+0+0 & xterm -g 80x24+0-0 & twm Sites that want to create a common startup environment could simply create a default .xinitrc that references a site-wide startup file: #!/bin/sh . /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc Another approach is to write a script that starts xinit with a specific shell script. Such scripts are usually named x11, xstart, or startx and are a convenient way to provide a simple interface for novice users: #!/bin/sh xinit /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X -br ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. XINITRC This variable specifies an init file containing shell commands to start up the initial windows. By default, .xinitrc in the home directory will be used. FILES
.xinitrc default client script xterm client to run if .xinitrc does not exist .xserverrc default server script X server to run if .xserverrc does not exist SEE ALSO
X(7), startx(1), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), xterm(1) AUTHOR
Bob Scheifler, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 XINIT(1)