Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Vi remove line range containing a string Post 302954324 by cokedude on Monday 7th of September 2015 04:06:42 AM
Old 09-07-2015
When I do this command I get the message below. I don't understand why it does that when 3622 is less than 3643.

Code:
:3622,3643/gcc/d

Backwards range given, OK to swap (y/n)?

Does this have anything to do with it? Do I need to include + and -?

What is the best way in Vim to operate on relative ranges in visual mode? - Stack Overflow

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Line that contains specific string

I am looking for a way to remove any line in a text file that contains the string "Mac address". I guess you would grep and sed, but I am not sure how to do this. Thanks for you help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBarraford
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file within a range of line

Hi, I want to replace the srting '; with ABCD'; in a file from line 1 to line 65. Is there any single command to do it without using awk Thanks for quick reply https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tosattam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line char from a string

Hi Can anyone tell me how can i remove new line character from a string. My requirement is to read a line from a file and store it to a string. read line string1=$line read line string2=$line echo $string1$string2 The result i am getting in different line. i want the output in the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreedivia
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string in a range and delete the line

Hi, i need to delete a lines after searching a particular string but this searching should only happen after the 4th line.. basically imagine a file like this From: abcd.yahoo.com To: cdeb.yahoo.com Subject: hi all sdfsd sadasd asdasd dfsdf From: abcd.yahoo.com To:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: depakjan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove unwanted specific line range

Hello everyone...I have large txt file and I would like to remove unwanted specific line. My data is like this: So I would like to remove from line below No. until line reassambled like this: Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taxi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line based on string and put new line with parameter

Hi Folks, I am new to ksh, i have informatica parameter file that i need to update everyday with shell script. i need your help updating this file with new parameters. sample data $$TABLE1_DATE=04-27-2011 $$TABLE2_DATE=04-23-2011 $$TABLE3_DATE=03-19-2011 .......Highligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last string from each line

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to recursively look at my directories, and output all filenames to a txt document. I am almost finished, however I am hitting one last snag. Here is my script so far: find . | grep .jpg | awk -F"/" '{print $NF}' > output.txtThis will give me an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinator
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last string from last line in a file

Hi, I have a file like : I want to remove last string in last line (here total string is "05550"~). And last line end with ~ character. Output should be : Please help me Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove every line with specific string, and also the one above and below it

I would like to identify every line with a specific string, in this case: "Mamma". I would like to remove that line, and also the line above it and below it. So the below Where are all amazing Flats Look At The Great Big White Hey There Hot Mamma You Are So hot Baby I wish You were Mine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
5 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)