Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Extract part of an archive to a different file Post 302954276 by Don Cragun on Sunday 6th of September 2015 02:52:19 PM
Old 09-06-2015
OK. Show us the java code and show us where in the code you are running into buffering problems.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract archive to a specified directory

Hi, I would like to extract the files from an archive which I have copied from a different server which has different file structures to my server. When I do a tar xvf archive_name, I get the error saying the file or directory cannot be found. How do I specify a desginated directory to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_trinh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a part of file name

Hi, I want to extract a part of filename and pass it as a parameter to one of the scripts. Could someone help. File name:- NLL_NAM_XXXXX.XXXXXXX_1_1.txt. Here i have to extract only XXXXX.XXXXXXX and the position will be constant. that means that i have to extract some n characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello! I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual. I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how. Could anyone please tell me how to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract certain part of log file?

Hi there, I'm having some problem with UNIX scripting (ksh), perhaps somebody can help me out? For example: ------------ Sample content of my log file (text file): -------------------------------------- File1: .... info_1 ... info_2 ... info_3 ... File2: .... info_1 ... info_2 ...... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of text file

I need to extract the following lines from this text and put it in different files. From xxxx@gmail.com Thu Jun 10 21:15:46 2010 Return-Path: <xxxxx@gmail.com> X-Original-To: xxx@localhost Delivered-To:xxxx@localhost Received: from ubuntu (localhost ) by ubuntu (Postfix) with ESMTP... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: waxo
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract part of file

Hello All, I need to extract part of a file into a new file My file is Define schema xxxxxx Insert into table ( a ,b ,c ,d ) values ( 1, 2, 3, (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the part of sequences from a file

I have a text file, input.fasta contains some protein sequences. input.fasta is shown below. >P02649 MKVLWAALLVTFLAGCQAKVEQAVETEPEPELRQQTEWQSGQRWELALGRFWDYLRWVQT LSEQVQEELLSSQVTQELRALMDETMKELKAYKSELEEQLTPVAEETRARLSKELQAAQA RLGADMEDVCGRLVQYRGEVQAMLGQSTEELRVRLASHLRKLRKRLLRDADDLQKRLAVY... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahim42
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

> dpkg-deb to Extract and Reconstruct a Multipart Archive???

Greetings! Here's one which has been bugging me for a bit ;) As might be known, LibreOffice is available to some of us Linux folk as a large set of debs. Of course, being a curious sort, I'd like to dig in and recreate the original tree which is composed of these assorted archives. So, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinQ
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI All Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything is working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but when im... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BACya
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies
ar(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     ar(4)

NAME
ar - common archive file format SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command is used to concatenate several files into an archive file (see ar(1)). Archives are used mainly as libraries to be searched by the link editor (see ld(1)). Each archive begins with the archive magic string. Following the archive magic string are the archive file members. Each file member is preceded by a file member header which is of the fol- lowing format: All information in the file member headers is in printable ASCII. The numeric information contained in the headers is stored as decimal numbers (except for which is in octal). Thus, if the archive contains printable files, the archive itself is printable. The contents of the field are slash terminated and blank-padded. The field is the modification date of the file at the time of its inser- tion into the archive. Common format archives can be moved from system to system as long as the portable archive command is used. Note that older versions of did not use the common archive format, and those archives cannot be read or written by the common archiver. Each archive file member begins on an even byte boundary; a new-line character is inserted between files if necessary. Nevertheless, the size given reflects the actual size of the file exclusive of padding. Notice there is no provision for empty areas in an archive file. If the archive symbol table exists, the first file in the archive has a zero-length name (i.e., and The contents of this archive member are machine-dependent. Refer to the appropriate a.out(4) manual entry for more information. Each archive which contains object files (see a.out(4)) may include an archive symbol table. This symbol table is used by the link editor (see ld(1)) to determine which archive members must be loaded during the link edit process. The archive symbol table (if it exists) is always the first member in the archive (but is never listed) and is automatically created and/or updated by If a member with a file name greater than 15 bytes exists within the archive, then the archive will also contain an additional special mem- ber to store the long file name string table. The special string table member has a zero length name where and If a special string table exists, it will precede all non-special archive members. If both a symbol table member and a string table member exist then the symbol table member will always precede the string table member. Each entry in the string table is followed by a slash and a new-line character. The offset of the table begins at zero. If an archive mem- ber name exceeds 15 bytes, then the entry in the member's header does not contain a name, instead it contains the offset into the string table preceded by a slash. For example, the member name contains in the field. This value represents the offset into the string table. The member name contains in the field. The long name string table would have the following format: +0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +---------------------------------------------------------- 0| t | h | i | s | i | s | a | v | e | r | +---------------------------------------------------------- 10| y | l | o | n | g | f | i | l | e | n | +---------------------------------------------------------- 20| a | m | e | . | o | / | | y | e | t | +---------------------------------------------------------- 30| a | n | o | t | h | e | r | l | o | n | +---------------------------------------------------------- 40| g | f | i | l | e | n | a | m | e | . | +---------------------------------------------------------- 50| o | / | | +---------------- SEE ALSO
System Tools: ar(1) create archived libraries ld(1) invoke the link editor Miscellaneous: a.out(4) assembler, compiler, and linker output magic(4) magic number for HP-UX implementations ranlib(1) regenerate an archive symbol table strip(1) strip symbol and line number information from an object file CAVEATS
removes the archive symbol table member from the archive (see strip(1)). The archive symbol table must be restored by using the option of the command or the ranlib(1) command before the archive can be used with the link editor. ar(4)