Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable Post 302954266 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 6th of September 2015 08:16:43 AM
Old 09-06-2015
Hold on - you run a pwdx on a PID that is from another system??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output of awk in variable

HI I am trying to store the output of this awk command awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr in a variable when I am trying v= awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr $v = awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr but its not working out . Any suggestions Thanks Arif (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing the output into a variable

Hi unix gurus, I am trying to store the result of a command into a variable. But it is not getting stored. x='hello' y=echo $x | wc -c but it is giving the output as 0(zero) Pls help me its very urgent (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 'defaults read' and storing the output in a variable

Hi all, I'm creating a script which uses 'defaults read' to retrieve details from an Info.plist like this; defaults read "/Path/Contents/Info" CFBundleShortVersionString This works fine in Terminal and returns the expected values. Is it possible to use this command in a script, and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

problem while storing the output of awk to variable

Hi, i have some files in one directory(say some sample dir) whose names will be like the following. some_file1.txt some_file2.txt. i need to get the last modified file size based on file name pattern like some_ here i am able to get the value of the last modified file size using the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eswarreddya
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing lines of output into a script variable

I'm sure this is a simple thing but I can't figure it out. In a script that I'm writing, I'd like to be able to store each line of output from "ls -l" into a variable. Ultimately I'd like to end up with something like: for a in `ls -l` do something with $a doneBut that's reading each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output from echo & cut into variable

Hi All, Hope someone can advise here as I have been struggling to find a syntax that works here. I have tried a stack of combination I have seed in the forums but I think because I have needed to use "" and `` in the statments another method is found. I am reading in lines with the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching & storing result in variable

Hi! i'm trying to parse textfiles against a pattern and storing the result in a variable. The strings i want to get are embraced by and can occur several times in one line, so e.g. some text anything else endwhat i have so far: #!/bin/bash for f in $* do exec 3<&0 exec 0<$f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoni
2 Replies

8. Programming

Storing input + some text into a variable (C Programming)

Hey guys got a slight problem here, I kindda new to socket programming in C so I need some guide on how to store something like this in a variable. printf ("%s Name : %s\n", id,getNAME(name)); name is declared as name. The getName is a function. So what I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLHaNz
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output into a variable

My script below seems to be choking because I need the the output of the find command to be stored as a variable that can then be called by used lower in the script. #!/bin/bash cd "/resumes_to_be_completed" var1=find . -mmin -1 -type f \( -name "*.doc" -o -name "*.docx" \)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in a variable and using cut/awk

Hi, My aim is to get the md5 hash of a file and store it in a variable. var1="md5sum file1" $var1 The above outputs fine but also contains the filename, so somthing like this 243ASsf25 file1 i just need to get the first part and put it into a variable. var1="md5sum file1"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustALol
5 Replies
procsystime(1m) 						   USER COMMANDS						   procsystime(1m)

NAME
procsystime - analyse system call times. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
procsystime [-acehoT] [ -p PID | -n name | command ] DESCRIPTION
procsystime prints details on system call times for processes, both the elapsed times and on-cpu times can be printed. The elapsed times are interesting, to help identify syscalls that take some time to complete (during which the process may have slept). CPU time helps us identify syscalls that are consuming CPU cycles to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -c print syscall counts -e print elapsed times, ns -o print CPU times, ns -T print totals -p PID examine this PID -n name examine processes which have this name EXAMPLES
Print elapsed times for PID 1871, # procsystime -p 1871 Print elapsed times for processes called "tar", # procsystime -n tar Print CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -on tar Print syscall counts for "tar" processes, # procsystime -cn tar Print elapsed and CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -eon tar print all details for "bash" processes, # procsystime -aTn bash run and print details for "df -h", # procsystime df -h FIELDS
SYSCALL System call name TIME (ns) Total time, nanoseconds COUNT Number of occurrences DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
procsystime will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtruss(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 Sep 22, 2005 procsystime(1m)