Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting One directory, extracting only files to a new directoy Post 302954259 by 1in10 on Sunday 6th of September 2015 02:49:16 PM
Old 09-06-2015
okay, I'll do so, just woke up, returning with the result in a few hours, thanks a lot for your quick reply.

---------- Post updated at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:06 AM ----------

Code:
xargs: unmatched simple   quotes ; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option

whole petaflops on duty, waiting for a result, and here is something that occurs before, the stat-command was not involved, but it surges as an error on some file, btw. the same message appeared in different versions of my version of this oneliner.

Code:
cp: calling of  stat for „/home/directory/origin/transit/World Party - Goodbye Jumbo - 05 - Aint Gonna Come Till Im Ready.mp3“ not possible: file or directory not found.

As if there should be a call for stat% A, though I do not understand this. And the directory with the content of hundreds of subdirectories just contains one single tune. Something went wrong. And the directory with the content of hundreds of subdirectories just contains one single tune. Something went wrong. Reading this list, it just listing one after another, a single tune out of an album that contains up to twenty songs. I am afraid, this is not the result I expected.

---------- Post updated at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:56 AM ----------

I do not even dare to offer my third attempt to flatten the hierarchy, but in a way it works. So here comes one attempt without checksum and cat-function. Be aware, as user you should act from the origin-directory. It gave me some headache to to this as root.

Code:
find . -type f -iname "*.mp3" -exec cp -nr {} destination \;

bit better

Code:
mkdir /path/to/destination | find /home/path/origin -type f -iname "*.mp3" -exec cp -nr {} destination \;

Looking at the result there are two questions to be scrutinized. The original directory has got a size of 22.8 GB, shoveling the files around to flatten the hierarchy it results to 22.1 GB, why?
And btw, anyone could help me to still insert the checksum and cut the value off? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1in10; 09-06-2015 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: reading the edited list and understanding the result, better switch

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a directoy

Hi, How to search a directory and know it's path. Please Help. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumsun
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a field from directory path ??????

Hi I'll be getting a directory path as the input to the script. E.g. 1 abc/fsg/sdfhgsa/fasgfsd/adfghad/XXX/fhsad e.g. 2 sadfg/sadgjhgds/sd/dtuc/cghcx/dtyue/dfghsdd/XXX/qytq This input will be stored in a variable. My query is how to extract the field in a variable VAR which occurs... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the different files from directory & its sub directories

Hi Everyone, It would be helpful if someone helps me on this. Requirement: I have a directory which includes different types of files(for example *.java,*.class),but not restricted for only these types. I need to find the same types of file extensions from its directories and subdirectories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Directory From Path

Hi guys. I'm doing some bash scripting and have run into a snag. Say I have the path: /home/one/two/three/ All I need is the 'three' while making a filename. Is there an easy way to do this? I've tried using grep (because I'm that smart.) cut (as I'm unable to tell how many fields there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drayol
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zipping a directory and extracting to another server.

Hello everyone, I am trying to make a script in KSH that will zip an entire directory but leave out one file in that directory. I then need to send that zipped directory to another UNIX box. I am new to UNIX and would appreciate a good template to study from. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrutalBryan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting into a remote directory

I need to fit in a module in my Korn Shell script which would extract file_archive.tar.gz residing in the folder /apps/Test of my local machine into a folder /global/ in a remote machine server1. Please help me on this regard. Thanks Kumarjit. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directoy Size - avoid cannot read directory

Hello, I need to write a script to check directory size on a linux server. I do not have access to some directories Inside the directory tree so I've got some warning in the output that say : du : cannot read directory .... Could you please help me. I did try Inside of my script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we automaitcally sync/copy files from one directoy to another ?

Hi, I would like to achieve below requirement, I have a directory "/mydir" and I want to automatically sync/copy all the content of /mydir directory to "/yourdir" directory all the time. meaning, if some application creates a file in /mydir, it supposed to be copied/available in "/yourdir"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron8667
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting to another directory using cygwin

I have a file, in Windows, called php_0.27.tar.gz and want to extract it to C:\Program Files\PHP\script through Cygwin using this command: tar -xf php_0.27.tar.gz -C /Program Files/PHP/script But I got an error saying: tar: Files: Not found in archive I tried this command too: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve120
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting directory portion.

Dear Experts, I have some directory structure something like follows. I would like to cut portion of it. Would you please help me? I have to run this on several sql's. The directory path is dynamic. I have cut what comes after first "sql" string. Input:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
3 Replies
fatsort(1)						      General Commands Manual							fatsort(1)

NAME
FATSort - FAT filesystem sorting utility SYNOPSIS
fatsort [options] device DESCRIPTION
FATsort sorts directory structures of FAT filesystems. Many MP3 hardware players don't sort files automatically but play them in the order they were transmitted to the device. FATSort can help here. OPTIONS
-c This option causes FATSort to ignore the case of filenames (e.g. 'example.mp3' is equal to 'EXAMPLE.MP3'). -f Force sorting even if the device is mounted or if FATSort cannot determine if the device is mounted. -h Shows some help information. -i Prints some file system information of the specified device. -l FATSort will not sort directory structures, but just print the current order. -o type This options specifies how FATSort will sort files and directories. type can be 'd' for directories before files (which is the default), 'f' for files before directories, or 'a' for no differentiation between files and directories. -n Uses natural order to sort directory structures instead of alphanumeric order. For example, an alphanumeric order would be file123.mp3 file21.mp3 file3.mp3 and the corresponding natural order would be file3.mp3 file21.mp3 file123.mp3. -q FATSort will work quietly without printing additional information messages. -r Sorts the directories in reverse order (Z-A). -R Sorts the directories in random order. -v Shows version information only. The following options can be specified multiple times: -d directory Sort directory only -D directory Sort directory and all subdirectories -x directory Don't sort directory -X directory Don't sort directory and all subdirectories -I prefix Ignore filename prefix prefix during sorting. For example, passing option -I "the " tells FATSort to sort 'The Beatles.mp3' like 'Beatles.mp3'. EXAMPLES
Sort FAT filesystem on an USB stick: fatsort /dev/sda1 Sort FAT filesystem in a file: fatsort /home/user/fat16_fs.img Sort directory /dir1 and all subdirectories except /dir1/dirA: fatsort /dev/sda1 -D /dir1 -x /dir1/dirA Ignore prefixes 'a ' and 'the ' during sorting: fatsort /dev/sda1 -I "a " -I "the " AUTHOR
Boris Leidner <fatsort(at)formenos.de> SEE ALSO
mount(8) fsck(8) NOTES
FAT12 is not supported yet. REPORT BUGS
Please report bugs to fatsort(at)formenos.de. Thanks. FATSort 0.9.15 2011 fatsort(1)