Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert a single quote in front of a line in vi editor Post 302954178 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 5th of September 2015 04:15:18 AM
Old 09-05-2015
With sed:
Code:
sed "s|/oradata[^ ]*\.dbf|'&'|g" file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote

Hi I have a shell script with many lines as below: comment on column dcases.proj_seq_num is dcases_1sq; .... .... I want the above script to be as below: comment on column dcases.proj_seq_num is 'dcases_1sq'; I want to have single quotes like that as above for the entire shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert predefine text in front and on a loop

Hi Experts, I wish to insert predefined text in front of every line and this needs to be in a loop because it is always expanding. Before : 11111111 22222222 33333333 44444444 55555555 77777777 88888888 00000000 To be Inserted : a= b= (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masayangbata
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add single digit in front of the word and line in the file.

Hi , how to add the single digit to front of the word and front of the lines in the one file with compare pattern file and get digit. like example pattern file pattern.txt pattern num bala 2 raja 3 muthu 4 File Name: chennai.dat muthu is good boy raja is bad boy selvam in super... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a single quote to each record

I have a file as: 1 New used 1 used New I need o/p as: '1' 'New' 'used' '1' 'used' 'New' (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert single quote and commas

Hi All, I have a set of data as below : XS012371378 Raj 23-09-12 SH128238948 Andrew 24-08-12 CH273712399 Walsh 12-10-12 JK7249923893 Nick 10-02-13 JP6383791389 Braslin 30-12-13 I want the first column to be extracted separately. I can get this using awk. awk '{print $1}' file_name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nand Kishor
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert single quote on every word separated by comma

Hello, I have a text file as:-ABC BCD CDF DEF EFGI need to convert as 'ABC', 'BCD', 'CDF', 'DEF', 'EFG' using a unix command anybody can help me out on this. Regards, Jas Please wrap all code, files, input & output/errors in CODE tags. It makes them easier to read and preserves... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: syntax to insert N spaces in front of a string

Dear all, I would like to insert N blankspaces in front of a string using sed command To give an example (N=10), I tried that code: $ echo "abcd" | sed 's/^/ \{10,\}&/' but I failed, by obtaining that result: {10,}abcd Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
18 Replies
GENCAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GENCAT(1)

NAME
gencat -- generates a Native Language Support (NLS) message catalog file SYNOPSIS
gencat catfile [msgfile|- ...] DESCRIPTION
The gencat utility generates a formatted message catalog catfile from stdin or one or more message source text files msgfile. The file catfile is created if it does not already exist. If catfile does exist, its messages are included in the new catfile. The new message text defined in msgfile replaces the old message text currently in catfile when the set and message numbers match. The generated message catalog contains message strings that will be retrieved using the catgets(3) library call. These messages are dynami- cally loaded by the Native Language Support (NLS) library at run time. Error messages are grouped into sets, and a program can load a par- ticular set depending on which type, or language, of messages is desired. Message Text Source File Format The message text source files are text files in the format described below. Note that the fields of a message text source line are separated by space or tab characters. $set n comment Determines the set identifier to be used for all subsequent messages until the next $set or end-of-file. The n is the set identifier which is defined as a number in the range [1, NL_SETMAX]. Set identifiers within a single source file need not be contiguous. Any string following the set identifier is treated as a comment. If no $set directive is specified in a message text source file, all mes- sages will be located in the default message set NL_SETD. $delset n comment Removes message set n from the catalog. The n is a set identifier in the range [1, NL_SETMAX]. If a message set was created earlier in the current file, or in a file previously read by the gencat command, this directive will remove it. Any string following the set iden- tifier is treated as a comment. $ comment A line beginning with $ followed by a space or tab character is treated as a comment. m message-text A message line consists of a message identifier m in the range [1, NL_MSGMAX] and the message-text. The message-text is read until the end of the line or a quote character (if one is specified). The message-text is stored in the message catalog with the set identifier specified by the last $set directive, and the message identifier m. If the message-text is empty and there is a space or tab character following the message identifier, an empty string is stored in the message catalog. If no message-text is provided, and if there is no space or tab character following the message identifier, the message with the message identifier m in the current set is removed from the catalog. Message identifiers need not be contiguous within a single set. The length of message-text must be in the range [0, NL_TEXTMAX]. $quote c Sets an optional quote character to be used around the message-text. The quote character c may be any character other than white space. If this is specified, then messages must begin and end with the quote character. This is useful when messages must contain leading white space. By default no quote character is used. If an empty $quote directive is specified, then the current quote character is unset. Empty lines and leading blanks in a message text source file are ignored. Any line beginning with any character other than those described above is ignored as a syntax error. Text message strings may contain any characters and the following special characters and escape sequences. Description Symbol Sequence newline NL(LF) horizontal tab HT vertical tab VT v backspace BS  carriage return CR form feed FF f backslash \ bit pattern ddd ddd A bit pattern, ddd, consists of a backslash followed by one, two, or three octal digits representing the value of the character. The cur- rent quote character, if defined, may be escaped with a backslash to generate the quote character. Any character following the backslash ('') other than those specified is ignored. A backslash at the end of the line continues the message onto the next line. The following two lines are an example of such a message: 1 This message continues on the next line Producing the following message: 1 This message continues on the next line EXIT STATUS
The gencat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
catclose(3), catgets(3), catopen(3), nls(7) AUTHORS
The Native Language Support (NLS) message catalog facility was contributed by J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.org>. This page was originally writ- ten by Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com>. BSD
December 29, 2011 BSD