Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Setting serial port configuration Post 302954001 by Corona688 on Thursday 3rd of September 2015 10:57:32 AM
Old 09-03-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjan Ganguly
It is a typical mistake from My side.Data Bit should be 8 instead of 9.
I need the commands to do so.
Oh, thank goodness -- that's much, much easier.

Quote:
To set the following I have used the following command.
Code:
Baud Rate:- 9600 Data Bit: - 8 Parity: - None Stop Bit: - 1 Flow Control :- None
$stty 9600 cs8 -parenb -ixon -cstopb -echo -F /dev/ttyS0

If you see again the parameter by the following command, it shows the attibute as set by the above command.
Code:
$stty -a -F /dev/ttyS0

Do I need to restart the machine after that?
You do not.

Indeed, if you do, you'll have to set it again. Remember that -- you might want to put it in local.start or in an @reboot cron job.

wisecracker speaks wisely. UNIX serial ports have far more settings than data bits and flow control. See Canonical and noncanonical mode in man termios. What you need depends on the needs of your application (reading lines of text? canonical. reading individual bytes of binary data? raw.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

serial port configuration

I am having trouble with a device connected through a serial port on my sun workstation ( I am running solaris 7). The seriel device works on an identical workstation running the same o/s version but when I move it to the initial workstation it doesn't work. I am using an rs232 serial cable and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Henrik
1 Replies

2. Linux

modem - usb to serial configuration

I have a serial modem connected to a usb port using an adapter cable. The system is a HP DL360. RedHat ES3.0 I am using the device /dev/ttyUSB0 When I issue the command "mgetty ttyUSB0" I get the following output in the log file. How do I get the system to see the modem. 12/02 14:17:55... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshoovie
2 Replies

3. SCO

Serial port configuration

Hi I have just re-installed Compaq ML350 G2 Server with Unix SCO 5.0.5 and informix DBMS . on this server we have 2 serial ports , unfortunately its not working. Can anyone help me to check the serial ports working or not OR guide me to reconfigure it. I have attached a device with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: munirh
1 Replies

4. Programming

Serial port programming

I am developing an application in c with Linux OS, where a radio modem working at baud rate 9600 will be attached to PC on serial port. More than four such units will be communicating at one time, so there may be jamming or data corruption. Each module will be transmitting Data packets less than... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj8109
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Serial port problem

I am working with solaris 9 sparc and I want to connect physical device in serial port but when I am connecting it,It is showing the error window saying-- So can any1 tell me the reason or is there any package I have to add to work with serial port??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Serial port issue

Hi, I am working with Sun Solaris 9 Sparc,Sun-Blade-100.In my application,I need to monitor the UPS using Serial port. When I am using JRE 1.4 in my application,I am able to monitor it but when I am upgrading the JRE version from 1.4 to JRE1.6. I am not able to monitor the UPS.It is showing the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with serial port

Hi, I have a external board connected to my serial port. I need to execute "shutdown -r now" command when system boot up. When system boots up it requires a username ans password. Then I need to run my command. I can use rc script but that is rebooting system before it asks for username and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie.arya
0 Replies

8. Solaris

How to enable Serial port on ILOM, when Network Port is enabled in parallel

Hi Everyone, In my environment, I have few T5220. On the iLOM Management Card, I have both Network and Serial port are cabled, I don't have any issues while I try to connect using Network Management port, but when I try to connect the serial port for the same server which is actually connected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Cabling and adapters to communicate to service processor serial port from Windows PC with USB port.

Hello, I have an unloaded T5140 machine and want to access the ILOM for the first time and subsequently the network port after that., and then load Solaris 10 the final January 2011 build. The first part is what confuses me -the cabling. I am coming from a Windows machine (w/appropriate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joboy
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Serial Port Setting Automatically changes

I am trying to change the setting of serial port baud rate in Red Hat Linux 5.9 by the following command. >> stty 9600 cs8 -parenb -ixon -cstopb -echo -F /dev/ttyS0 The serial port will be used by our custom application in 2 separate servers which are the replica of one another. The port setting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
2 Replies
IO::Stty(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       IO::Stty(3)

NAME
Change and print terminal line settings SYNOPSIS
# calling the script directly stty.pl [setting...] stty.pl {-a,-g,-v,--version} # Calling Stty module use IO::Stty; IO::Stty::stty(*TTYHANDLE, @modes); use IO::Stty; $old_mode=IO::Stty::stty(*STDIN,'-g'); # Turn off echoing. IO::Stty::stty(*STDIN,'-echo'); # Do whatever.. grab input maybe? $read_password = <>; # Now restore the old mode. IO::Stty::stty(*STDIN,$old_mode); # What settings do we have anyway? print IO::Stty::stty(*STDIN,'-a'); DESCRIPTION
This is the PERL POSIX compliant stty. INTRO
This has not been tailored to the IO::File stuff but will work with it as indicated. Before you go futzing with term parameters it's a good idea to grab the current settings and restore them when you finish. stty accepts the following non-option arguments that change aspects of the terminal line operation. A `[-]' before a capability means that it can be turned off by preceding it with a `-'. stty parameters Control settings [-]parenb Generate parity bit in output and expect parity bit in input. [-]parodd Set odd parity (even with `-'). cs5 cs6 cs7 cs8 Set character size to 5, 6, 7, or 8 bits. [-]hupcl [-]hup Send a hangup signal when the last process closes the tty. [-]cstopb Use two stop bits per character (one with `-'). [-]cread Allow input to be received. [-]clocal Disable modem control signals. Input settings [-]ignbrk Ignore break characters. [-]brkint Breaks cause an interrupt signal. [-]ignpar Ignore characters with parity errors. [-]parmrk Mark parity errors (with a 255-0-character sequence). [-]inpck Enable input parity checking. [-]istrip Clear high (8th) bit of input characters. [-]inlcr Translate newline to carriage return. [-]igncr Ignore carriage return. [-]icrnl Translate carriage return to newline. [-]ixon Enable XON/XOFF flow control. [-]ixoff Enable sending of stop character when the system input buffer is almost full, and start character when it becomes almost empty again. Output settings [-]opost Postprocess output. Local settings [-]isig Enable interrupt, quit, and suspend special characters. [-]icanon Enable erase, kill, werase, and rprnt special characters. [-]echo Echo input characters. [-]echoe, [-]crterase Echo erase characters as backspace-space-backspace. [-]echok Echo a newline after a kill character. [-]echonl Echo newline even if not echoing other characters. [-]noflsh Disable flushing after interrupt and quit special characters. * Though this claims non-posixhood it is supported by the perl POSIX.pm. [-]tostop (np) Stop background jobs that try to write to the terminal. Combination settings ek Reset the erase and kill special characters to their default values. sane Same as: cread -ignbrk brkint -inlcr -igncr icrnl -ixoff opost isig icanon echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop also sets all special characters to their default values. [-]cooked Same as: brkint ignpar istrip icrnl ixon opost isig icanon plus sets the eof and eol characters to their default values if they are the same as the min and time characters. With `-', same as raw. [-]raw Same as: -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -opost -isig -icanon min 1 time 0 With `-', same as cooked. [-]pass8 Same as: -parenb -istrip cs8 With `-', same as parenb istrip cs7. dec Same as: echoe echoctl echoke -ixany Also sets the interrupt special character to Ctrl-C, erase to Del, and kill to Ctrl-U. Special characters The special characters' default values vary from system to system. They are set with the syntax `name value', where the names are listed below and the value can be given either literally, in hat notation (`^c'), or as an integer which may start with `0x' to indicate hexadecimal, `0' to indicate octal, or any other digit to indicate decimal. Giving a value of `^-' or `undef' disables that special character. intr Send an interrupt signal. quit Send a quit signal. erase Erase the last character typed. kill Erase the current line. eof Send an end of file (terminate the input). eol End the line. start Restart the output after stopping it. stop Stop the output. susp Send a terminal stop signal. Special settings min N Set the minimum number of characters that will satisfy a read until the time value has expired, when <E>-icanon<E> is set. time N Set the number of tenths of a second before reads time out if the min number of characters have not been read, when -icanon is set. N Set the input and output speeds to N. N can be one of: 0 50 75 110 134 134.5 150 200 300 600 1200 1800 2400 4800 9600 19200 38400 exta extb. exta is the same as 19200; extb is the same as 38400. 0 hangs up the line if -clocal is set. OPTIONS -a Print all current settings in human-readable form. -g Print all current settings in a form that can be used as an argument to another stty command to restore the current settings. -v,--version Print version info. Direct Subroutines stty() IO::Stty::stty(*STDIN, @params); From comments: I'm not feeling very inspired about this. Terminal parameters are obscure and boring. Basically what this will do is get the current setting, take the parameters, modify the setting and write it back. Zzzz. This is not especially efficent and probably not too fast. Assuming the POSIX spec has been implemented properly it should mostly work. show_me_the_crap() Needs documentation AUTHOR
Austin Schutz <auschutz@cpan.org> (Initial version and maintenance) Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpan.org> (Maintenance) BUGS
This is use at your own risk software. Do anything you want with it except blame me for it blowing up your machine because it's full of bugs. See above for what functions are supported. It's mostly standard POSIX stuff. If any of the settings are wrong and you actually know what some of these extremely arcane settings (like what 'sane' should be in POSIX land) really should be, please open an RT ticket. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
None COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 1997 Austin Schutz, all rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 IO::Stty(3)