Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing tab spaces at the end of each line Post 302953957 by Don Cragun on Thursday 3rd of September 2015 02:59:59 AM
Old 09-03-2015
I asked you to show us results of running a set of commands on your sample input file. Instead of that, you showed us the results of running those commands on bytes 48 through 80 of that file showing us a single complete line of data (with no spaces at all and no trailing tabs) and two characters from the start of the next line (with no spaces and no tabs at all). So, I have no more idea now what you're trying to do than I did before.

But, now that we know you're using a Solaris system, try:
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/sed 's/[[:space:]]*$//' file

If this still doesn't work, you are going to have to give us the details about your file that I requested before AND a MUCH clearer explanation of what output you are trying to produce.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to see space, tab, end of the line chracters

what can I use ?? In vi, I can use :set list <-- and see end of line $.. or use cat -A but I am wondering if there is command or program that allows me to see all the hidden characters( space, tab and etc) Please help thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces between strings in a line with tab

Hi All I am having problem in substitution of any number of spaces, or a combination of space and tab in between strings in the lines of text file. Is there any way out in Perl? Please help me. e.g., Say the input is in the following format:- XX yyy zzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces in a line

Hi All, I have a line like this " field1;field2;field3 " (single space after and before double quotes). Now i have to remove these single space . Kindly help me. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append end of line with 8 spaces

child_amt=$amount prev_line="$prev_line $child_amt" i am getting the result like this 21234567890001343 000001004OLFXXX029100020091112 0000060 but i want 8 spaces between the eg: 21234567890001343 000001004OLFXXX029100020091112 0000060 how can i do this in .ksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshuser
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it?

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it. for example there is a file a.txt. $more a.txt create view as (select from ......... .......... ( select .... ( select ...... .. select only no ((( number ( select end (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
12 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD