Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenating(??) shell variable with string Post 302953913 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 2nd of September 2015 02:18:39 PM
Old 09-02-2015
Whenever you expand a variable concatenated with characters that could also be part of a variable name, you need to use braces to delimit the variable name from the surrounding text... Try:
Code:
suop2 $SU_DATA/${a}_clean.su $SU_DATA/${b}_clean.su op=sum > W1.su

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating static string to records in data file

I just need to add a static ID to each output record so the users will be able to tell which group records in combined flatfiles come from I have the static ID in a bourne variable. I tried awk '{print "${GroupID}" $0}' infile > outfile But I ended up with the string ${GroupID} instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenating string and variable

how to concatenate a string and variable like a=rahul and i want to put it into another variable 'b' as "rahul_prasath" i dont want to use another variable for "_prasath" how to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
1 Replies

3. Programming

Concatenating array of strings into one string separated by spaces

Hi, Well as the title says, I have an array of strings (delimited by null). The length of the array is variable and length of each string is variable as well. What I need is one huge string with the original strings in the array separated by spaces. For example is an array is such that array... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhere
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating string with numbers

Hi, I want to display the string value with number value. I dont know how to display. Can anyone help me. This is my code export A=${file_name} echo $a $b $sum | awk '{ printf "%011.f,%014.f,%014.f\n", $1,$2,$3}' >> ${MRR_OUTPUT} the out put shold be ${A}, $a, $b filename,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: easterraj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating and appending string based on specific pattern match

Input #GEO-1-type-1-fwd-Initial 890 1519 OPKHIJEFVTEFVHIJEFVOPKHIJTOPKEFVHIJTEFVOPKOPKHIJHIJHIJTTOPKHIJHIJEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKHIJOPKEFVEFVOPKHIJHIJEFVHIJHIJEFVTHIJOPKOPKTEFVEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKOPKHIJTTEFVEFVTEFV #GEO-1-type-2-fwd-Terminal 1572 2030... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating File and String for Sendmail

I want o add a variable in addition to a file which will be send with sendmail. I have problems to find the correct syntax for concatenating this variable called $MyVariable. sendmail mai@domain.com </tmp/errormessage.txt $MyVariable] Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: high5
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate string containing shell variable names

Hello, I have this: #!/usr/bin/ksh V1=ABC str="hello 123;${V1}" eval "echo $str" i get hello 123 /script.sh ABC not found However eval works if $str variable doesn't contain a semicolumn (eg if str="hello 123~${v1}" running the eval statement above would produce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endorphin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

de concatenating a string

I have a variable var=string1:string2:string3 I want to get the string de-concatenated and put it as var1=string1 var2=string2 var3=string3 Thanks in advance. ---------- Post updated at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:45 PM ---------- I got the solution as below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak62828r
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating awk fields with variable

Hi, I am trying to do this:- FILE=application.log PID=12345 FILE=`echo $FILE | awk -F "." '{print $1 "$PID" $2}'` echo $FILE application$PIDlog I need the output to be application12345.log but I am not sure how to get the $PID variable into the output. I have tried various things... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
3 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)