Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract fields before search pattern Post 302953593 by bakunin on Sunday 30th of August 2015 11:47:03 AM
Old 08-30-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
With a standards conforming implementation of the sed utility, the following command works:
Code:
sed 's/.*was /0 0 /
s/ and//
s/one/1/g
s/second.*//
s/minute[^[:space:]]* //
s/hour[^[:space:]]* //
s/.*\([0-9][0-9]* [0-9][0-9]* [0-9][0-9]*\)/\1/' Canary1.log

This will not work if the hours and seconds are given but the minutes are missing. For instance, from the sample given:

Code:
echo "*** Total elapsed time was 42 minutes and 57 seconds." | yoursed
0 42 57

works as expected, but:

Code:
echo "*** Total elapsed time was 42 hours and 57 seconds." | yoursed
0 42 57

will get it wrong. If this could be the case in the logfile is everybodies guess, but it would be within the given specification.

Here is a script which will cover this:

Code:
sed --posix -n '
h
:hours
 /hour/ ! {
            s/.*/0 /
            b minutes
          }
s/hour.*/hour/
s/^.*[^0-9]\([0-9][0-9]*\)[     ]*hour$/\1 /
:minutes
 G
 /minute/ ! {
                s/^\([0-9][0-9]*\).*/\1 0/
                b seconds
            }
 s/minute.*/minute/
 s/^\([0-9][0-9]* \).*[^0-9]\([0-9][0-9]*\) minute$/\1 \2/
:seconds
 G
 /second/ ! {
                s/^\([0-9]* [0-9]*\).*/\1 0/
                b end
            }
 s/second.*/second/
 s/^\([0-9][0-9]* [0-9][0-9]*\).*[^0-9]\([0-9][0-9]*\) second$/\1 \2/
:end
p'

The inner workings is:

First, the line is copied to hold space. Then, if the line has "hour" in it, the amount of hours is extracted by removing everythng else from the line, otherwise the line is reduced to "0 ". At the next step (minutes), the content from the hold space is appended to this and the process repeated (with minimal changes to cover for the hour-number already on the line), the same a third time for seconds.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific line if the search pattern is found

Hi, I need to extract <APPNUMBER> tag alone, if the <college> haas IIT Chennai value. college tag value will have spaces embedded. Those spaces should not be suppresses. My Source file <Record><sno>1</sno><empid>E0001</empid><name>Rejsh suderam</name><college>IIT ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a pattern between the xml tags based on a search pattern

Hi all, I am trying to extract the values ( text between the xml tags) based on the Order Number. here is the sample input <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <NJCustomer> <Header> <MessageIdentifier>Y504173382</MessageIdentifier> ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oky
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
PARSE_TIME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     PARSE_TIME(3)

NAME
parse_time, print_time_table, unparse_time, unparse_time_approx, -- parse and unparse time intervals LIBRARY
The roken library (libroken, -lroken) SYNOPSIS
#include <parse_time.h> int parse_time(const char *timespec, const char *def_unit); void print_time_table(FILE *f); size_t unparse_time(int seconds, char *buf, size_t len); size_t unparse_time_approx(int seconds, char *buf, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
The parse_time() function converts a the period of time specified in into a number of seconds. The timespec can be any number of <number unit> pairs separated by comma and whitespace. The number can be negative. Number without explicit units are taken as being def_unit. The unparse_time() and unparse_time_approx() does the opposite of parse_time(), that is they take a number of seconds and express that as human readable string. unparse_time produces an exact time, while unparse_time_approx restricts the result to only include one units. print_time_table() prints a descriptive list of available units on the passed file descriptor. The possible units include: second, s minute, m hour, h day week seven days month 30 days year 365 days Units names can be arbitrarily abbreviated (as long as they are unique). RETURN VALUES
parse_time() returns the number of seconds that represents the expression in timespec or -1 on error. unparse_time() and unparse_time_approx() return the number of characters written to buf. if the return value is greater than or equal to the len argument, the string was too short and some of the printed characters were discarded. EXAMPLES
#include <stdio.h> #include <parse_time.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { int i; int result; char buf[128]; print_time_table(stdout); for (i = 1; i < argc; i++) { result = parse_time(argv[i], "second"); if(result == -1) { fprintf(stderr, "%s: parse error ", argv[i]); continue; } printf("-- "); printf("parse_time = %d ", result); unparse_time(result, buf, sizeof(buf)); printf("unparse_time = %s ", buf); unparse_time_approx(result, buf, sizeof(buf)); printf("unparse_time_approx = %s ", buf); } return 0; } $ ./a.out "1 minute 30 seconds" "90 s" "1 y -1 s" 1 year = 365 days 1 month = 30 days 1 week = 7 days 1 day = 24 hours 1 hour = 60 minutes 1 minute = 60 seconds 1 second -- parse_time = 90 unparse_time = 1 minute 30 seconds unparse_time_approx = 1 minute -- parse_time = 90 unparse_time = 1 minute 30 seconds unparse_time_approx = 1 minute -- parse_time = 31535999 unparse_time = 12 months 4 days 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds unparse_time_approx = 12 months BUGS
Since parse_time() returns -1 on error there is no way to parse "minus one second". Currently "s" at the end of units is ignored. This is a hack for English plural forms. If these functions are ever localised, this scheme will have to change. HEIMDAL
October 31, 2004 HEIMDAL