Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ZFS Filesystem
Operating Systems Solaris ZFS Filesystem Post 302953476 by jlliagre on Friday 28th of August 2015 10:26:23 AM
Old 08-28-2015
@achenle Yes, the ARC size should not be left unlimited when running an Oracle database. 1GB seems to be quite aggressive with a 32GB server though. That might waste memory and will likely affect overall performance.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How do I export a zfs filesystem that I created?

I created a zpool and two ZFS volumes in OpenSolaris. I would like both ZFS volumes to be exportable. However, I don't know how to set that up. These are the steps I did: 1) Create the zpool using raidz1 across five disks. I have six disks and created a zpool across 5 of them. c4t0d0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Why does the # of blocks change for a file on a ZFS filesystem?

I created a zpool and zfs filesystem in OpenSolaris. I made two NFS mount points: > zpool history History for 'raidpool': 2009-01-15.17:12:48 zpool create -f raidpool raidz1 c4t1d0 c4t2d0 c4t3d0 c4t4d0 c4t5d0 2009-01-15.17:15:54 zfs create -o mountpoint=/vol01 -o sharenfs=on -o... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Mount old zfs filesystem

Hey all, I have a machine with 16 drive slots. Two of the drives have a ZFS mirror of the operating system, the other 14 contain the storage raidz. So, after installing Opensolaris on the OS drives, how can I remount the storage raid? TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
11 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Howto Convert a filesystem from Veritas to ZFS?

Hi Folks, Looking for info here more than any actual HowTo, does anyone know if there is an actual way of converting a Veritas or UFS filesystem to ZFS leaving the resident data intact. All that I have been able to find, including the commercial products seem to require the FS backed up from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gull04
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Please explain why ZFS is said to be a hybrid filesystem and a volume manager also

Hi guys! How come ZFS is said to be not just a filesystem but a hybrid filesystem and also a volume manager? Please explain. I will appreciate your replies. Hope you can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Klyde
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Extend zfs storage filesystem

Hello, Need to ask the question regarding extending the zfs storage file system. currently after using the command, df -kh u01-data-pool/data 600G 552 48G 93% /data /data are only 48 gb remaining and it has occupied 93% for total storage. zpool u01-data-pool has more then 200 gb... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahzad53
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to finish expanding a zfs filesystem?

I have a esxi 6.7 server running a Solaris 10 x86 vm (actually a bunch of them). The VM uses zfs for the pools (of course). I expand the underlying ESX logical disk, for example from 50GB to 100gb, then I set autoexpand=on <pool> that belongs to the esx logical disk. what am i missing to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies
VFS_SHADOW_COPY2(8)					    System Administration tools 				       VFS_SHADOW_COPY2(8)

NAME
vfs_shadow_copy2 - Expose snapshots to Windows clients as shadow copies. SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = shadow_copy2 DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_shadow_copy2 VFS module functionality that is similar to Microsoft Shadow Copy services. When setup properly, this module allows Microsoft Shadow Copy clients to browse "shadow copies" on Samba shares. This is a 2nd implementation of a shadow copy module. This version has the following features: 1. You don't need to populate your shares with symlinks to the snapshots. This can be very important when you have thousands of shares, or use [homes]. 2. The inode number of the files is altered so it is different from the original. This allows the 'restore' button to work without a sharing violation. This module is stackable. CONFIGURATION
vfs_shadow_copy2 relies on a filesystem snapshot implementation. Many common filesystems have native support for this. Filesystem snapshots must be mounted on specially named directories in order to be recognized by vfs_shadow_copy2. The snapshot mount points must be immediate children of a the directory being shared. The snapshot naming convention is @GMT-YYYY.MM.DD-hh.mm.ss, where: o YYYY is the 4 digit year o MM is the 2 digit month o DD is the 2 digit day o hh is the 2 digit hour o mm is the 2 digit minute o ss is the 2 digit second. The vfs_shadow_copy2 snapshot naming convention can be produced with the following date(1) command: TZ=GMT date +@GMT-%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S OPTIONS
shadow:snapdir = SNAPDIR Path to the directory where snapshots are kept. shadow:basedir = BASEDIR Path to the base directory that snapshots are from. shadow:fixinodes = yes/no If you enable shadow:fixinodes then this module will modify the apparent inode number of files in the snapshot directories using a hash of the files path. This is needed for snapshot systems where the snapshots have the same device:inode number as the original files (such as happens with GPFS snapshots). If you don't set this option then the 'restore' button in the shadow copy UI will fail with a sharing violation. EXAMPLES
Add shadow copy support to user home directories: [homes] vfs objects = shadow_copy2 shadow:snapdir = /data/snaphots shadow:basedir = /data/home CAVEATS
This is not a backup, archival, or version control solution. With Samba or Windows servers, vfs_shadow_copy2 is designed to be an end-user tool only. It does not replace or enhance your backup and archival solutions and should in no way be considered as such. Additionally, if you need version control, implement a version control system. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.2.7 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 VFS_SHADOW_COPY2(8)