Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading multiple variables in a loop Post 302953339 by shash on Thursday 27th of August 2015 06:16:06 AM
Old 08-27-2015
I 'm reading it from a global variable which I can't change. I need to read those variables as I had mentioned. Many thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with multiple variables ?

I have a script which selects two 'sets' of system LVM device files from a tabular file 'mapfile' using awk : LIVELV=`awk '{print($1)}' mapfile` BCVLV=`awk '{print($3)}' mapfile` I wanted to pass these 'sets' into an LVM command 'loop' along the lines of : lvmerge $BCVLV $LIVELV ie.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosterian
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Multiple Variables From a Single Line in Shell

I'm a Linux newb, I've been running a Debian Linux server for about a year now, and I've written some simple scripts to automate various things, but I still don't know much, and I forget what I learn as fast as I figure it out... Anyway, that really isn't important, I just want you to know that... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drek
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with Multiple variables

Hi , I am trying to write a script in kshell with while loop ,its like count=1 count_cmp=1 while ; do tail -$count tempfile | head -1 > tempstring ....... done However i get CIF.sh: line 33: ' I have checked thetrailing spaces , not sure what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple variables in for loop

hi, I want an equivalent for loop for this C code in unix shell script... for(int i,int j;i<5;i++,j++) { } Please reply soon Regards Navjot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values in while loop

I'm having trouble with a simple piece of code. IFS=, echo "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" | while read x y do echo "x=$x" echo "y=$y" done I'm hoping for x=1 y=2 x=3 y=4 . . . but I'm getting x=1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabbata
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop reading file with multiple conditions

Hi Am trying to print the PIDs of process in a file and trying to grep any PID from that file I set the if condition as $value != "PID" and $value != "-" Assign that number to a variable Am confused since am using while loop to read the line from file and again if condition to check those... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use for/while loop with multiple variables?

Hi, I have two variables like below which will always be of the same size a=1:2:3 b=A:B:C I need to use a for/while loop that will have both the variables available. I cannot use an array here and will probably might iterate through the variable as echo $a | tr ':' '\n' and thus iterate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elizabeth H
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values from multiple lines and columns and setting them to unique variables.

Hello, I would like to ask for help with csh script. An example of an input in .txt file is below, the number of lines varies from file to file and I have 2 or 3 columns with values. I would like to read all the values (probably one by one) and set them to independent unique variables that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FMMOLA
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with multiple delimited variables

hi, i need a portion in a audit logging shell script where i have to loop thru multiple variables. I need some help in accomplishing this. i have 3 variables var1=1,23,234 var2=a,ab,xyz var3=0,0,0 the variables will have variables number of values but same length.(3 in this case ) i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock1
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying multiple variables in for loop

Hi! I've run into a problem where my variables are displayed in the wrong order. Basically I'm supposed to use a file that has information like this username:firstname:lastname:etc:etc. What I'm interested in doing is reformating it into a something more like this: username lastname,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reindeermountai
2 Replies
global(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 global(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
global - Access global variables SYNOPSIS
global varname ?varname ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command has no effect unless executed in the context of a proc body. If the global command is executed in the context of a proc body, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding global variables (though these linked variables, like those created by upvar, are not included in the list returned by info locals). If varname contains namespace qualifiers, the local variable's name is the unqualified name of the global variable, as determined by the namespace tail command. varname is always treated as the name of a variable, not an array element. An error is returned if the name looks like an array element, such as a(b). EXAMPLES
This procedure sets the namespace variable ::a::x proc reset {} { global a::x set x 0 } This procedure accumulates the strings passed to it in a global buffer, separated by newlines. It is useful for situations when you want to build a message piece-by-piece (as if with puts) but send that full message in a single piece (e.g. over a connection opened with socket or as part of a counted HTTP response). proc accum {string} { global accumulator append accumulator $string } SEE ALSO
namespace(n), upvar(n), variable(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl global(n)