Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading multiple variables in a loop Post 302953331 by shash on Thursday 27th of August 2015 05:46:18 AM
Old 08-27-2015
Many thanks Rudi & bakunin. Got it working as follows:
Code:
table_name=table1,table2,table3
col_name=col1,col2,col3

OI="$IFS"
IFS=,
table_arr=($table_name)
col_arr=($col_name)
IFS="$OI"

counter=0

while [ $counter -lt ${#table_arr[@]} ] ; do
     echo "TABLE: ${table_arr[$counter]}     COL: ${col_arr[$counter]}"
     (( counter += 1 ))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with multiple variables ?

I have a script which selects two 'sets' of system LVM device files from a tabular file 'mapfile' using awk : LIVELV=`awk '{print($1)}' mapfile` BCVLV=`awk '{print($3)}' mapfile` I wanted to pass these 'sets' into an LVM command 'loop' along the lines of : lvmerge $BCVLV $LIVELV ie.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosterian
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Multiple Variables From a Single Line in Shell

I'm a Linux newb, I've been running a Debian Linux server for about a year now, and I've written some simple scripts to automate various things, but I still don't know much, and I forget what I learn as fast as I figure it out... Anyway, that really isn't important, I just want you to know that... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drek
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with Multiple variables

Hi , I am trying to write a script in kshell with while loop ,its like count=1 count_cmp=1 while ; do tail -$count tempfile | head -1 > tempstring ....... done However i get CIF.sh: line 33: ' I have checked thetrailing spaces , not sure what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple variables in for loop

hi, I want an equivalent for loop for this C code in unix shell script... for(int i,int j;i<5;i++,j++) { } Please reply soon Regards Navjot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values in while loop

I'm having trouble with a simple piece of code. IFS=, echo "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" | while read x y do echo "x=$x" echo "y=$y" done I'm hoping for x=1 y=2 x=3 y=4 . . . but I'm getting x=1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabbata
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop reading file with multiple conditions

Hi Am trying to print the PIDs of process in a file and trying to grep any PID from that file I set the if condition as $value != "PID" and $value != "-" Assign that number to a variable Am confused since am using while loop to read the line from file and again if condition to check those... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use for/while loop with multiple variables?

Hi, I have two variables like below which will always be of the same size a=1:2:3 b=A:B:C I need to use a for/while loop that will have both the variables available. I cannot use an array here and will probably might iterate through the variable as echo $a | tr ':' '\n' and thus iterate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elizabeth H
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values from multiple lines and columns and setting them to unique variables.

Hello, I would like to ask for help with csh script. An example of an input in .txt file is below, the number of lines varies from file to file and I have 2 or 3 columns with values. I would like to read all the values (probably one by one) and set them to independent unique variables that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FMMOLA
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with multiple delimited variables

hi, i need a portion in a audit logging shell script where i have to loop thru multiple variables. I need some help in accomplishing this. i have 3 variables var1=1,23,234 var2=a,ab,xyz var3=0,0,0 the variables will have variables number of values but same length.(3 in this case ) i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock1
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying multiple variables in for loop

Hi! I've run into a problem where my variables are displayed in the wrong order. Basically I'm supposed to use a file that has information like this username:firstname:lastname:etc:etc. What I'm interested in doing is reformating it into a something more like this: username lastname,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reindeermountai
2 Replies
Vend::CounterFile(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Vend::CounterFile(3pm)

NAME
Vend::CounterFile - Persistent counter class SYNOPSIS
use Vend::CounterFile; $c = new Vend::CounterFile "COUNTER", "aa00"; $id = $c->inc; open(F, ">F$id"); DESCRIPTION
(This module is modified from Gisle Aas File::CounterFile to use Interchange's locking protocols -- lack of fcntl locking was causing counter problems.) This module implements a persistent counter class. Each counter is represented by a separate file in the file system. File locking is applied, so multiple processes might try to access the same counters at the same time without risk of counter destruction. You give the file name as the first parameter to the object constructor ("new"). The file is created if it does not exist. If the file name does not start with "/" or ".", then it is interpreted as a file relative to $Vend::CounterFile::DEFAULT_DIR. The default value for this variable is initialized from the environment variable "TMPDIR", or /usr/tmp is no environment variable is defined. You may want to assign a different value to this variable before creating counters. If you pass a second parameter to the constructor, that sets the initial value for a new counter. This parameter only takes effect when the file is created (i.e. it does not exist before the call). When you call the "inc()" method, you increment the counter value by one. When you call "dec()" the counter value is decrementd. In both cases the new value is returned. The "dec()" method only works for numerical counters (digits only). You can peek at the value of the counter (without incrementing it) by using the "value()" method. The counter can be locked and unlocked with the "lock()" and "unlock()" methods. Incrementing and value retrieval is faster when the counter is locked, because we do not have to update the counter file all the time. You can query whether the counter is locked with the "locked()" method. There is also an operator overloading interface to the Vend::CounterFile object. This means that you might use the "++" operator for incrementing the counter, "--" operator for decrementing and you can interpolate counters diretly into strings. BUGS
(This problem alleviated by this modified module) It uses flock(2) to lock the counter file. This does not work on all systems. Perhaps we should use the File::Lock module? COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-1998 Gisle Aas. All rights reserved. Modifications made by and copyright (C) 2002 Red Hat, Inc. and (c) 2002-2007 Interchange Development Group This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <aas@sn.no> perl v5.14.2 2010-03-25 Vend::CounterFile(3pm)