Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Who would you employ?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Who would you employ? Post 302953265 by Corona688 on Wednesday 26th of August 2015 12:36:34 PM
Old 08-26-2015
The playing field is a little different now. They began in the era when being able to use a computer at all was a rare and expensive privilege and you had unquestioned full control over the machine. (At least, unquestioned by the machine.) I feel they knew they had some power over the future and tried to use it wisely. Now, even a homeless person is liable to carry greater computing power with them wherever they go, albeit only accessible in a peculiarly limited way; more availability and less control.

What used to need "witch doctors" now uses historians, since new tools aren't needed for common purposes and everyone keeps forgetting the old ones.

What the witch doctors are doing now, I'm less certain, but I bet they'll turn up sooner or later exactly where we weren't looking.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-26-2015 at 01:46 PM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot properly employ "or" operator in an if statement (bash)

Hi, I have a variable, $sername, and I would like to display this variable only if it *does not* contain either of these two tags: *DTI*FA* or *DIFF*FA*. I think the syntax for my 'or' operator is off. The variable $sername is continuously changing in an outer loop (not shown), but at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)							     shutdown							       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown - Halt, power-off or reboot the machine SYNOPSIS
shutdown [OPTIONS...] [TIME] [WALL...] DESCRIPTION
shutdown may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the machine. The first argument may be a time string (which is usually "now"). Optionally, this may be followed by a wall message to be sent to all logged-in users before going down. The time string may either be in the format "hh:mm" for hour/minutes specifying the time to execute the shutdown at, specified in 24h clock format. Alternatively it may be in the syntax "+m" referring to the specified number of minutes m from now. "now" is an alias for "+0", i.e. for triggering an immediate shutdown. If no time argument is specified, "+1" is implied. Note that to specify a wall message you must specify a time argument, too. If the time argument is used, 5 minutes before the system goes down the /run/nologin file is created to ensure that further logins shall not be allowed. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Prints a short help text and exits. -H, --halt Halt the machine. -P, --poweroff Power-off the machine (the default). -r, --reboot Reboot the machine. -h Equivalent to --poweroff, unless --halt is specified. -k Do not halt, power-off, reboot, just write wall message. --no-wall Do not send wall message before halt, power-off, reboot. -c Cancel a pending shutdown. This may be used cancel the effect of an invocation of shutdown with a time argument that is not "+0" or "now". EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), halt(8), wall(1) systemd 208 SHUTDOWN(8)