Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace multiple words together? Post 302953116 by Corona688 on Tuesday 25th of August 2015 11:41:02 AM
Old 08-25-2015
What does the text being replaced look like? If it's regular enough to do in a more intelligent way than a brute-force search that could help a lot. If not, perhaps not.

A brute force search in Perl won't be much faster than a brute force search in awk, the problem is the brute force search.

How big is new_word_list.txt ? Does the first column ever contain special characters? If you have GNU awk, it might be possible to build your own regex and play with a loop on match.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to replace some words with other from a list

I have a list file, in which both the words to be replaced and to be replaced with are there... need to run a script which will accept the list name and replace all the occurances .. ex. the list file contains something like hi=bye go=come Now i want to replace the words hi with bye and go... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixitked
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all the words containing a particular pattern

Hi Please help with this one.. I have a file...I need to replace all the words containing a particular pattern say "xyz' and replace the entire containing xyz with abc.. Before xyzwork connect connect xyz disconnect raxyz After the operation i want something like below: abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace words with the first characters

Hello folks, I have a simple request but I can't find a simple solution. Hare is my problem. I have some dates, I need to replace months with only the first 3 characters (jan for january, feb for february, ... all in lower case) ~$ echo '3 october 2010' | sed 3 oct 2010I thought of something... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tukuyomi
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific words with nothing

Hi I have a file like that contains infomation about genes exons introns made as a single string. i am just planning to get the gene name alone with out any extra information. intergenic_Nedd4_exon_0_F Gapvd1_intron_24_R Gapvd1_exon_25_Rmy output file should be intergenic_Nedd4 Gapvd1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the words in the file to the words that user type?

Hello, I would like to change my setting in a file to the setting that user input. For example, by default it is ONBOOT=ON When user key in "YES", it would be ONBOOT=YES -------------- This code only adds in the entire user input, but didn't replace it. How do i go about... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace words in file?

Hi Guys, I have a text where we used Ram in 10 times now I want replace all Ram words by Shyam word then how to do it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed parser behaving strange on replacing multiple words in multiple files

I have 4000 files like $cat clus_grp_seq10_g.phy 18 1002 anig_OJJ65951_1 ATGGTTTCGCAGCGTGATAGAGAATTGTTTAGGGATGATATTCGCTCGCGAGGAACGAAGCTCAATGCTGCCGAGCGCGAGAGTCTGCTAAGGCCATATCTGCCAGATCCGTCTGACCTTCCACGCAGGCCACTTCAGCGGCGCAAGAAGGTTCCTCG aver_OOF92921_1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)