Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ZFS Filesystem
Operating Systems Solaris ZFS Filesystem Post 302953026 by jlliagre on Tuesday 25th of August 2015 02:40:18 AM
Old 08-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2mac
while admittedly I don't know the specifics of how it works I do know that a zfs snapshot is a delta value of the FS.
This is incorrect, a snapshot is a frozen dataset content. What you call the delta value is written once on the live file system.
Quote:
so it must be recording those deltas somewhere.
The snapshots delta is already there, no need to record it.
Quote:
The older the snap the larger the file
Yes, if the file system is evolving.
Quote:
and the more snaps the more writes.
No, there is no write inflation.
Quote:
I can only tell you from practical experience that removing snapshots DOES improve performance.
Perhaps had you rolling snapshots in place?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How do I export a zfs filesystem that I created?

I created a zpool and two ZFS volumes in OpenSolaris. I would like both ZFS volumes to be exportable. However, I don't know how to set that up. These are the steps I did: 1) Create the zpool using raidz1 across five disks. I have six disks and created a zpool across 5 of them. c4t0d0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Why does the # of blocks change for a file on a ZFS filesystem?

I created a zpool and zfs filesystem in OpenSolaris. I made two NFS mount points: > zpool history History for 'raidpool': 2009-01-15.17:12:48 zpool create -f raidpool raidz1 c4t1d0 c4t2d0 c4t3d0 c4t4d0 c4t5d0 2009-01-15.17:15:54 zfs create -o mountpoint=/vol01 -o sharenfs=on -o... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Mount old zfs filesystem

Hey all, I have a machine with 16 drive slots. Two of the drives have a ZFS mirror of the operating system, the other 14 contain the storage raidz. So, after installing Opensolaris on the OS drives, how can I remount the storage raid? TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
11 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Howto Convert a filesystem from Veritas to ZFS?

Hi Folks, Looking for info here more than any actual HowTo, does anyone know if there is an actual way of converting a Veritas or UFS filesystem to ZFS leaving the resident data intact. All that I have been able to find, including the commercial products seem to require the FS backed up from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gull04
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Please explain why ZFS is said to be a hybrid filesystem and a volume manager also

Hi guys! How come ZFS is said to be not just a filesystem but a hybrid filesystem and also a volume manager? Please explain. I will appreciate your replies. Hope you can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Klyde
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Extend zfs storage filesystem

Hello, Need to ask the question regarding extending the zfs storage file system. currently after using the command, df -kh u01-data-pool/data 600G 552 48G 93% /data /data are only 48 gb remaining and it has occupied 93% for total storage. zpool u01-data-pool has more then 200 gb... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahzad53
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to finish expanding a zfs filesystem?

I have a esxi 6.7 server running a Solaris 10 x86 vm (actually a bunch of them). The VM uses zfs for the pools (of course). I expand the underlying ESX logical disk, for example from 50GB to 100gb, then I set autoexpand=on <pool> that belongs to the esx logical disk. what am i missing to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any metacharacter in the output is preceded by an "escape" character, which by default is a backslash. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ex Specifies "x", rather than backslash, to be the escape char for metachars. If x is "-", no escape char is used and arguments con- taining metachars are surrounded by quotes instead. -ox Specifies "x", rather than double-quote, to be the open quote character, which is used if the -e- option is specified. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. By default, no characters are considered metachars. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing metacharacters are quoted SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 458: 04 Apr 2013 LESSECHO(1)