Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Problem with maximum files and directories Post 302952933 by jim mcnamara on Monday 24th of August 2015 11:38:47 AM
Old 08-24-2015
Do you have all 4096 files open at the same time?

There are possibilities, but as disedorgue mentioned, some code would clear things up.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum files in a Directory

Does Solaris impose limits on : - the maximum number of files a directory can have, - total file size in a directory If there is such limits, how can I can check for each? Thanks...:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - maximum number of files

what is the maximum number ls can list down (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

3. Linux

maximum file & directories

Dear friends, How many maximum number of files and directories can be created in linux system. Thanks.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sub directories containing maximum files

Hi All, I have this command coded in C Shell to get the top ten sub directories in the order of number of files they contain. find $parent_dir -type d -exec filecount {} \; | sort -nr | head -10 But it does not seem to show any output. Can someone please help me out in correcting this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the files in all the directories and sub-directories

Hi all, I have more than 12000 files in 46 different directories and each directory has 2 sub-directories named “dat” or “gridded”. Dat sub-directories have files with extension “jpg.dat” and gridded sub-directories have files with extension “.jpg”. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting files having maximum timestamp

Hi , I'm using Ksh 88 I've the following files in a directory with YearMonthDate (Ex:20130601) YDT:FILE1:20130601 YDT:FILE1:20130615 YDT:FILE2:20130601 YDT:FILE2:20130615 YDT:FILE3:20130601 YDT:FILE3:20130615 And i need the files having maximum timestamp , Means i need to display ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies
TMPNAM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 TMPNAM(3)

NAME
tmpnam, tmpnam_r - create a name for a temporary file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char *tmpnam(char *s); DESCRIPTION
The tmpnam() function returns a pointer to a string that is a valid filename, and such that a file with this name did not exist at some point in time, so that naive programmers may think it a suitable name for a temporary file. If the argument s is NULL this name is gener- ated in an internal static buffer and may be overwritten by the next call to tmpnam(). If s is not NULL, the name is copied to the charac- ter array (of length at least L_tmpnam) pointed to by s and the value s is returned in case of success. The pathname that is created, has a directory prefix P_tmpdir. (Both L_tmpnam and P_tmpdir are defined in <stdio.h>, just like the TMP_MAX mentioned below.) RETURN VALUE
The tmpnam() function returns a pointer to a unique temporary filename, or NULL if a unique name cannot be generated. ERRORS
No errors are defined. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2008 marks tmpnam() as obsolete. NOTES
The tmpnam() function generates a different string each time it is called, up to TMP_MAX times. If it is called more than TMP_MAX times, the behavior is implementation defined. Although tmpnam() generates names that are difficult to guess, it is nevertheless possible that between the time that tmpnam() returns a pathname, and the time that the program opens it, another program might create that pathname using open(2), or create it as a symbolic link. This can lead to security holes. To avoid such possibilities, use the open(2) O_EXCL flag to open the pathname. Or better yet, use mkstemp(3) or tmpfile(3). Portable applications that use threads cannot call tmpnam() with a NULL argument if either _POSIX_THREADS or _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS is defined. A POSIX draft proposed to use a function tmpnam_r() defined by char * tmpnam_r(char *s) { return s ? tmpnam(s) : NULL; } apparently as a warning not to use NULL. A few systems implement it. To get a glibc prototype for this function from <stdio.h>, define _SVID_SOURCE or _BSD_SOURCE (before including any header file). BUGS
Never use this function. Use mkstemp(3) or tmpfile(3) instead. SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), tempnam(3), tmpfile(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-09-10 TMPNAM(3)