Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace the first letter of each line by a capital Post 302952825 by ganon551 on Saturday 22nd of August 2015 01:59:54 PM
Old 08-22-2015
Thank you for this answers Smilie

By the way, do you also have a magic command to remove lines that are longer or smaller than a number ?

For instance remove all the lines in a file that are longer than 20 caracters, remove others that are smaller than 5 caracters, etc.

Thank you Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transformation capital letter

:confused: Hye everybody i would like to know if exist a internet site where i can founs some interesting shell script very usefull I need to transform hundreds names of files escribed in CAPITAL letter in minuscule letter do oyu know a mean o do that that thanks to a script or a shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark Angel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting day to capital letter...

Hello, I am receiving a file every day as this format. Since today is friday, the format is, PGI_STG_FRIDAY14.TXT. I need to write the shell script to check if this file exist in folder... I am using date format.. export DATE=`date '+%A'` echo $DATE The output is Friday But i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] check if chars is a capital letter and translate it

how can i check if read -n 1 LETTER; LETTER is a capital letter and after translate in minuscule. i have thought with: tr or no? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make all words begin with capital letter?

I need to use bash to convert sentences where all words start with a small letter into one where all words start with a capital letter. So that a string like: are utilities ready for hurricane sandy becomes: Are Utilities Ready For Hurricane Sandy (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Program to match the id and replace one letter in the content

Hi all, I have one file with a sequence and the other file which says the position and the letter to be changed. I have to match two files and replace content. Example is shown which will describe what I want to do. For example, file 1 has many sequences and few are shown below sequence file:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Organizing text file by Capital Names (capital word ' ' capital word)

Hi I have a file passwd_exmpl that contains: root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eladage
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace space in column with letter for several rows

I have a pbd file, which has the following format: TITLE Protein X MODEL 1 ATOM 1 N PRO 24 45.220 71.410 43.810 1.00 0.00 ATOM 2 H1 PRO 24 45.800 71.310 42.000 1.00 0.00 TER ENDMDL Column 22 is the chain... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Egy
5 Replies
yodlletter(7)						    Your Own Document Language						     yodlletter(7)

NAME
yodlletter - Yodl's `letter' document type SYNOPSIS
letter(language)(date)(subject)(opening)(salutation)(author) The letter document type was implemented to write LaTeX letters. DESCRIPTION
The letter document type was specifically implemented to write LaTeX letters, using LaTeX's brief.cls document class. It is available only for the LaTeX (yodl2latex(1)) converter. This manual page briefly describes Yodl's letter document type. This document type is specific enough that it warrants a separate man- page. letter documents do not allow you to use the `standard' sectioning commands (e.g., sect() and subsect()). You can, however, use macros that are normally used within such sections, such as description(), itemization(), bf() or em(). Several specific macros, to be used in the preamble, are available for the letter document type. They are: o AfourEnlarged(): Enlarges the usable height of A4 paper by 2 cm.: the top margin is reduced by 2 cm. o letteraddenda(type)(value): Adds an addendum at the end of a letter. type should be bijlagen (i.e., appendices), cc or ps. Use nl() within the value section if multiple addenda of a certain type are used. o letteradmin(yourdate)(yourref): Puts yourletterfrom and yourreference elements in the letter. If left empty, two dashes are inserted. o letterfootitem(name)(value): Puts a footer at the bottom of letter-pages. Up to three will usually fit. For example, o letterreplyto(name)(address)(zip city): Defines the `reply to' address. o letterto(element): Adds element as an additional line to the address of the addressee. Use one element for each line of the addressee's address. Up to five lines will usually fit. A sixth line may be squeezed in, if necessary. The letter) macro itself requires the following arguments: o language: select english, dutch, or another language supported by the babel.sty style; o date: the letter's date. Use your own date-convention. The text specified here will be used as the letter's date; o subject: a short indication as to why you wrote the letter o opening: the letter's opening, e.g., Dear Linus,; o salutation: the letter's closing phrase, e.g., Kind regards,; o author: the name of the letter's author. nl() macros can be used here, but the brief class will also restrict the width of the author-lines by itself. SEE ALSO
latex(1), yodlstriproff(1), yodl(1), yodlbuiltins(7), yodlconverters(1), yodlletter(7), yodlmacros(7), yodlmanpage(7), yodlpost(1), yodlverbinsert(1). BUGS
- AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl), yodl_3.00.0.tar.gz 1996-2010 yodlletter(7)