Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux command to show where bin files are located Post 302952821 by drl on Saturday 22nd of August 2015 09:41:15 AM
Old 08-22-2015
Hi.

For bash and ksh, see also command:
Code:
command: command [-pVv] command [arg ...]
    Runs COMMAND with ARGS ignoring shell functions.  If you have a shell
    function called `ls', and you wish to call the command `ls', you can
    say "command ls".  If the -p option is given, a default value is used
    for PATH that is guaranteed to find all of the standard utilities.  If
    the -V or -v option is given, a string is printed describing COMMAND.
    The -V option produces a more verbose description.

As in (using bash):
Code:
$ command -v mkdir
/bin/mkdir

and
Code:
$ command -V mkdir
mkdir is hashed (/bin/mkdir)

and (for me):
Code:
$ command -V ls
ls is aliased to `ls -CF --color=never'

For a local command (script):
Code:
$ command -V mag
mag is hashed (/home/drl/bin/mag)

In this environment:
Code:
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 5.0.8 (lenny, workstation) 
bash GNU bash 3.2.39
ksh 93s+

For ksh, similar to:
Code:
$ whence -v whence
whence is a shell builtin

See man bash and man ksh for details.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 08-22-2015 at 10:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Where are the Areca and IPMI config files located

Hi, I'm trying to locate the config files that are installed on a Unix/Linux system that belong to programs called Areca and IPMI. Two different programs. The most information I can get from IPMI is that it may be version 1.11 from Supermicro and it's installed by a CD. I checked the CD and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edomingox
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting to compare N number of files located in two directories

I want to compare "N" (around 2000+) number of huge files located in a directory A against "N" files located in a different directory using Bash scripting. Please help me with any scripts available. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Where are the source files located in solaris (b 116)

Hi all, I would like to know the dir location where all the source files for various file systems are located(not the compiled ones)? I tried in /usr/src/uts , but thats as far as I can go. After this i have the i86pc but there are no .c files anywhere.... (Impossible) # find / -name *.c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW: Shell script accessing files located in individual logged in user.

Hi I have below scenario, I hope this could be possible, but as of now no idea how to implement this. Mount point in this location /abc/mp, and there will different users who will be executing one the file shell1.sh file located in /abs/mp, but every user will execute this shell1.sh file from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Show complete command on command line when we use 'ps'

Hi, When I query using ps -ef, the complete command is not displayed and is truncated. Can you please tell me a method to resolve this ? I have tried the below. ps -ef | cat ps -ef | grep imp >/tmp/t1.txt /usr/ucb/ps -auxw pargs <pid> /usr/ucb/ps -aefyl | grep imp Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to show unique strings in two files

how to display the unique strings in two files using shell script or commands. I tried diff and cmp but it shows the entire line, i need only the mismatched strings. File1: sat,sun,mon,tue rose,lilly,lotus white,red,blue,green,pink File2: sat,sun,mon,tue rose,sunflower,lotus... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing file ownership/permission and content of files located on two different servers

Hi All, can some one suggest me a tool to compare file ownership/permission and contents of files located at two different unix servers? Thanks, Pranav (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
1 Replies

8. Linux

The DNS files, where are located?

Hello, please where are located DNS files on various linux distributions? Mainly im interested in CentOS (RedHat) and Ubuntu (Debian). I mean i will be changing IPs and i have registered nameservers on my domain registar and it points to OLD IP, so i need to know in which files to edit on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out directory where command is located

so i have a script that i do not want copies of that script to be roaming around. i want that script to be in only one location on the filesystem, and whoever wants to use it should just link to it. any idea on how to exit from a script if it is detected that the running version is a copy and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with running a script on files located in subdirectories

Hello everyone, I'm am a newbie to coding so I am reaching out in hopes that I can get some help from this forum. I am trying to run the script below from a single directory, however the directory has many subfolders. In each of those subfolders is a file, uniquely named to that specific... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azurite
3 Replies