Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed? Post 302952635 by Nvizn on Thursday 20th of August 2015 01:35:06 PM
Old 08-20-2015
Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

My example:
Code:
sed -i '14 i\
# add these lines
add these lines to the file
add these line to the file'
/my/file/location | tee /my/file/location

This is suppose to insert the lines after "sed -i '14 i\," into line 14, overwrite and save.

Last edited by Nvizn; 08-20-2015 at 03:43 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a file and save the changes

I have an xml file that gets created as a part of daily build. I have to modify some lines in this file, uncomment some lines, comment some line, add 2 new lines in the file every time. Is there an easier automated way to do this using perl, bash, or sh. I would appreciate it if someone can point... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How search,edit and save the file

Hi All, I want to edit a file using shell script..For ex...a file called /etc/passwd..here I am searching for "ftp" if it is there just change it to "tftp" without using any temporary file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vichu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the switch to let sed edit and save file

I remember there is a sed switch i can use to edit and save the file at the same time, but i cannot recall it at all. so instead of -> sed 's/A/B/' file > file-tmp -> mv file-tmp file what can i do to just let sed edit and save the "file" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a bash script, display on the screen and save all information in a file including error info

Hi all, How to: Run a bash script, display on the screen and save all information in a file including error information. For example: I have a bash script called test.sh now I want to run the test.sh and display the output on the screen and save the output including error info to a file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon sine
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK to edit/add field values in a record

Hi Experts, I am new to shell scripting. Need some help in doing one task given by the customer. The sample record in a file is as follows: 3538,,,,,,ID,ID1,,,,,,,,,,, It needs to be the following: 3538,,353800,353800,,,ID,ID1,,,,,COLX,,,,,COLY, And i want to modify this record in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot save edit on cron on Solaris 10

Hi Everyone, I have edited my cron using 'crontab -e'. When I try to save the changes using ':wq!' The file closes but the changes are not saved. I get the following messages: "/tmp/crontabJFainH" 45 lines, 2996 characters trail.log crontab: error on previous line; unexpected character found... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlet
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output into file bash scripting

Hi there. i have created a program that in the end it will give output like this 1 2 3 4 5 10 9 8 7 6 11 12 13 14 15 .............. 17 i wonder how to save the output into a single string and into a file. i.e 1 10 11 12 9 2 3 8 13 14 7 4 5 6 15 17 (in this order,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shdin271
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input password to bash script, save, and enter when needed

I am looking for a way to start a script and have it prompt for a password that will be used later on in the script to SSH to another host and to SFTP. I don't want the password to be hard coded. Below is my script with the actual IP's and usernames removed. #!/usr/bin/expect -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select and save file in new directory

I am trying to select a file in bash and save it to a directory. The below does run but no selected file is saved. Thank you :). bash # select file printf "please select a file to analyze with entered gene or genes \n" select file in $(cd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)