Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rebuilding computer tomorrow at work Post 302952617 by drl on Thursday 20th of August 2015 11:31:06 AM
Old 08-20-2015
Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_
Quote:
Originally Posted by drl
Our experience with VMWare and VirtualBox has been that we can easily run many OSs concurrently.
With the the example you provided, what kind of hardware was running on the machine(s) hosting all of those VMs?
For the sun/sun-like systems:
Code:
System:    Kernel: 2.6.26-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Console: tty 1
           Distro: Debian 5.0 (lenny vm-server)
Machine:   System: Dell product: PowerEdge SC1420
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T7495 Bios: Dell v: A02 date: 04/01/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Xeon (-HT-) speed: 2792 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: ATI Rage XL
           Display Server: X.org 1.4.2 driver: FAILED: mach64
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Network:   Card: Intel 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (20.5% used)
RAID:      Devices: 1: /dev/md3 2: /dev/md2 3: /dev/md1 4: /dev/md0
Info:      Processes: 92 Uptime: 256 days Memory: 440.7/3399.3MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.19

and for the remainder:
Code:
System:    Kernel: 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Console: tty 5
           Distro: Debian 7.7 (wheezy vm-server-ng)
Machine:   System: Dell product: PowerEdge T110 II
           Mobo: Dell model: 015TH9 v: A02
           Bios: Dell v: 1.2.4 date: 09/19/2011
CPU:       Quad core Intel Xeon E31230 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/3201 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Matrox Systems MGA G200eW WPCM450
           Display Server: X.org 1.12.4 drivers: mga (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3000.6GB (21.3% used)
RAID:      Devices: 1: /dev/md1 2: /dev/md0
Info:      Processes: 217 Uptime: 31 days Memory: 11835.1/16077.9MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.19

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rebuilding Kernel

Dear all, After succesful installation of UNIX SCO WARE 7.0, while booting the system it is displaying as follows: The kernel will be rebuilt to incorporate recent configaration changes Press Enter when ready OR Press Escape to Stop. While pressing Enter, message is coming again and again... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rebuilding sun solaris kernel

How would I rebuild the sun solaris kernel to include my new Oracle paramters? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesn't this script work on my home computer?

Now it could be as simple as at work I use tsch, and at home it is bash. Warning, first post and I am a complete newbie to unix. At work, I use a simple script for updating a window when I am watching to see how a render is doing... while 1 echo --------------------------- echo ls -lrth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iStealMusic
1 Replies

4. Linux

Modifying/Rebuilding non-source PRM?

I can't find a source rpm for a particular tool that I'm trying to modify. I can only get a hold of the noarch and tar.bz2. Can I modify either one of these and re-package them as a noarch.rpm? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eur0dad
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep tomorrow's date

Hi guys, I need to find tomorrows date in date fomat and should be in variable. as I need to grep this date in a flat file ie. if today's date is '09 JAN 2009' output should be '10 JAN 2009' unix/perl script will be fine. (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssachins
21 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Volunteer Work When Out of a Computer Job?

I need opinion from other ! I finished high school for computer technician few months ago and now I can not find a job because I do not have any experience with servers , I know basic staff about Linux and Unix and Windows better (used three 4 years) (this is way I registered here at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies

7. AIX

Rebuilding a HMC

Hi Guru's, I'm trying to rebuild a very old HMC 7315-C02 the hard disk has gone so needs replacing. I've managed to find an old IDE hard disk lying around but its obvious that it's had windows running on it as the HMC install disks won't recognise the format. I'm trying to install HMC V6 R1.2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rebuilding bash source

so i have many scripts that have to run when the bash source is installed as normal. however, some users have found a way to build bash from source and while doing so, they altered some default settings. my question is, what can i put in my script to check that the "flags.c" binary and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
MFI(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    MFI(4)

NAME
mfi -- LSI MegaRAID SAS driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device mfi Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): mfi_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
This driver is for LSI's next generation PCI Express SAS RAID controllers. Access to RAID arrays (logical disks) from this driver is pro- vided via /dev/mfid? device nodes. A simple management interface is also provided on a per-controller basis via the /dev/mfi? device node. The mfi name is derived from the phrase "MegaRAID Firmware Interface", which is substantially different than the old "MegaRAID" interface and thus requires a new driver. Older SCSI and SATA MegaRAID cards are supported by amr(4) and will not work with this driver. Two sysctls are provided to tune the mfi driver's behavior when a request is made to remove a mounted volume. By default the driver will disallow any requests to remove a mounted volume. If the sysctl dev.mfi.%d.delete_busy_volumes is set to 1, then the driver will allow mounted volumes to be removed. HARDWARE
The mfi driver supports the following hardware: o LSI MegaRAID SAS 1078 o LSI MegaRAID SAS 8408E o LSI MegaRAID SAS 8480E o LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260 o Dell PERC5 o Dell PERC6 o IBM ServeRAID M5015 SAS/SATA o IBM ServeRAID-MR10i o Intel RAID Controller SROMBSAS18E FILES
/dev/mfid? array/logical disk interface /dev/mfi? management interface DIAGNOSTICS
mfid%d: Unable to delete busy device An attempt was made to remove a mounted volume. SEE ALSO
amr(4), pci(4), mfiutil(8) HISTORY
The mfi driver first appeared in FreeBSD 6.1. AUTHORS
The mfi driver and this manual page were written by Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The driver does not support big-endian architectures at this time. BSD
May 12, 2010 BSD