Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dynamic Variable creation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dynamic Variable creation Post 302952578 by Don Cragun on Thursday 20th of August 2015 02:32:44 AM
Old 08-20-2015
In both bash and ksh you can have arrays with integer subscripts (and with recent bash and 1993 or later ksh, you can also use non-numeric strings as subscripts). For example:
Code:
$ for((i = 1; i <= 5; i++))
do	num[$i]=$(($i * $i))
done
$ for((i = 1; i <= 5; i++))
do	printf 'num[%d]=%d\n' $i ${num[$i]}
done
num[1]=1
num[2]=4
num[3]=9
num[4]=16
num[5]=25
$

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creation variable

I want to define a variable like this. Can i declare such type? I have already define this, but error is displaying sysntax error. So tell me what will be the write. int create_mailfile(int,char*,char*,char*,char*,char*,char*); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debasis.mishra
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation of log file under dynamic date folder

HI I want to create a date folder and then a log file under it, which will hold all output of shell script. Say shell script abc.sh runs every day and I want to redirect the output of abc.sh > /opt/bea/wls81/Pkmtest/$(date +%Y%m%d)/ant.log. Here date should always change according to system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dynamic file creation

This my script ls *.ksh ls *.ksh > a.txt i=1 cat "a.txt" | while read a do if then echo "abc" echo "abc" > m.ksh echo "m.ksh" >> a.txt i=2 fi echo $a done ls *.ksh -------------------------- My Output is a.ksh - > first ls *.ksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variable name

I found one post in another site with a solution for my problem the below solution should explain what I want. #!/bin/sh first="one" second="two" third="three" myvar="first" echo ${!myvar} But this gives error 'bad substitution' System info SunOS sundev2 5.9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Dynamic variable

I need some variable help TEMP1=Jane TEMP2=Sue X=1 eval USER=TEMP${X} echo $USER This gives output USER1 I would like to get Jane I have tried eval USER='TEMP${X}' eval USER="TEMP${X}" eval USER=`TEMP${X}` (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic file name in variable

Hi guys. i have a requirment as below. I have a scripts which perform for loop for i in /backup/logs -- it will give all the logs file SC_RIO_RWVM_20120413064217303.LOG SC_RIO_RWXM_20120413064225493.LOG SC_RIO_RXXM_20120413064233273.LOG ... do open script.sh ---- in this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slatoms
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing dynamic variable within another variable.

I have a small program which needs to pass variable dynamically to form the name of a second variable whose value wil be passed on to a third variable. ***************** Program Start ****************** LOC1=/loc1 PAT1IN=/loc2 PAT2IN=/loc3 if ; then for fpattern in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyril Jos
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable assignment

#!/bin/sh if then echo "Insufficient number of arguments ">> error".log" ; echo "Please check error log for more details"; exit 1 ; else file_name=$1".csv"; fi ; in_par_number=`head -n1 $file_name | sed 's///g' | wc -c` read -a arr <<< `head -n1 $file_name | sed 's// /g'` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayDoshi
6 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)