Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Soft kill a process to redirect the last kbytes output to a file Post 302952542 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of August 2015 04:45:35 PM
Old 08-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastaer
thank you jim mcnamar,

but the problem is not the python script. it is ok to hard kill the python script.
It doesn't hurt the script or your system to hard-kill it, no -- but it certainly doesn't do what you want.

Python does single writes every 4096 bytes because this more efficient than doing 50 tinier writes. Python streams do this on the assumption the stream will end naturally, not get hard-killed while waiting for the 4096th byte. This is not a shell thing, a redirection thing, or any kind of system buffer -- the buffer is in Python, part of Python's code, controlled by Python, and must be configured in Python to disable Python's write buffer.

This is not the same as system disk cache, that's transparent, you'd see a correct result if the system knew it was supposed to be there.

This is not the same as the buffers used for pipes. Those don't apply when not using pipes.

You cannot force Python or any other program to not buffer from the outside, unless there's some mysterious NEVER_BUFFER environment variable Python responds to or something.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to kill process from file

hello i want to write a script in unix which read file that contains : hour and process_id like this file bbb: 0:30 6678 1:40 8789 and for every line he check if the hour greater then 30 minutes he kill the process_id the script looks like this cat bbb | while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamas03
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill process from file

i have a script that read a file which contains process_id and time that he's in and it lookes like this 0:30 54545 0:44 66788 0:90 23233 i need to read every line in the file and get the time and if the process is greater then 0:30 to kill the process id the script looks like... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
17 Replies

3. Programming

Redirect Output Multi-Process

Hi, I'm trying to compile the following code: /************** Begin <test.c> ***************/ /* * Compiled with: gcc -Wall -o test test.c */ #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> int main(void) { printf("I'm process %d, son of %d \n", getpid(), getppid()); printf("Hello \n");... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djodjo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect bg process output to within the script

Hi, I have a process running in the background, which throws up some output to the terminal when I run my script. How can I read this output from my script? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Theju
5 Replies

5. Programming

Redirect Standard Output Multi-Process

Hi, I'm trying to compile the following code: /************** Begin <test.c> ***************/ /* * Compiled with: gcc -Wall -o test test.c */ #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> int main(void) { printf("I'm process %d, son of %d \n", getpid(), getppid()); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: djodjo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process from a file or directly with top

i have edited a script to kill an exact mysql process is causing the high load on the server, my problem is, kill dont kill it! script: #!/bin/sh top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld | awk '{print $1}' > pid proc='cat pid' kill -9 $proc or i try with kill -9 `top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandro
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill the process when the file is locked?

I was trying to read the file to create a table in SAS and I got error as follows while I read. Resource is write-locked by another user. File =/usr/sas/sas_config/Lev1/SASApp/StoredProcessServ​er/Logs/SASApp_STPServer_2015-09-29_tmp_18208.log. System Error Code = 0. ERROR: File is in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies
UPDATE-PYTHON-MODULES(8)				      System Manager's Manual					  UPDATE-PYTHON-MODULES(8)

NAME
update-python-modules - byte-compile python modules SYNOPSIS
update-python-modules [options] [package.public [...]] DESCRIPTION
The update-python-modules command is part of the python-support bundle. update-python-modules is responsible for the byte-compilation of python modules. When used in byte-compilation mode, it will byte-compile modules references in the files given on the command line. When used in installation mode, it will byte-compile them once for each installed python version, and will make them available for all of them. At each invocation, with or without arguments, update-python-modules will check for installed python versions, and will build or remove modules according to new or removed versions since the last time it was run. ARGUMENTS
Arguments must be files or directories located in the /usr/share/python-support directory. Depending on their extension, they are treated differently. package.public A file listing public modules to install for each version. These modules must lie in /usr/share/pyshared or /usr/lib/pyshared. package.private A file listing private modules to byte-compile for one Python version. package/ A legacy directory hierarchy of public modules. The C extensions and portions that change with the Python version are to be found in /usr/lib/python-support/pythonX.Y/package/. package.dirs A legacy file listing directories where to find private modules. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbose Detail all actions while they are performed. -b, --bytecompile Only accept to work on private modules. When given this option, update-python-modules will fail if passed references to public mod- ules. -i, --install Only accept to work on public modules. When given this option, update-python-modules will fail if passed references to public mod- ules. -c, --clean Clean modules instead of installing them. -a, --rebuild-all Rebuild all private modules. This is necessary when the default python version was changed, for example. -f, --force-rebuild-all Clean all modules (public and private), and rebuild them. FILES
/usr/lib/pymodules/pythonX.Y/ These directories contain the byte-compiled modules for version pythonX.Y. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/python-support/README.gz AUTHOR
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>. 18 Feb 2009 UPDATE-PYTHON-MODULES(8)