Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing large files in Solaris 11 Post 302952515 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 19th of August 2015 01:03:43 PM
Old 08-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
I assume you meant bs=4 instead of bs=3, but when processing a 1.2Gb file, dd will run noticeably faster with its default block size (512 bytes) or a larger size like bs=1024000. The dd bs=n parameter specifies how many bytes dd will read at a time from its input file and how many bytes at a time it will write to its output file.

With conv=unblock, it is just the conversion buffer size (specified by cbs=n) that determines the output line length produced by the dd utility.
Although I presume the system cache and the filesystem block size will soften the blow in the sense that usually this should translate into io sizes that are equivalent to the filesystem block size or multiples thereof, depending on how smart the filesystem is...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with parsing a large file

Hi All, Following is the sample file and following is the op desired that is the last entry of each unique first field is required. My solution is as follows However the original file has around a million entries and around a 100,000 uniques first fields, so this soln.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a large log

I need to parse a large log say 300-400 mb The commands like awk and cat etc are taking time. Please help how to process. I need to process the log for certain values of current date. But I am unbale to do so. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: asth
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing large CDR XML file

Dear Freind in the file attached how parse the data to be like a normal table :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saifsafaa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

5. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096 bytes. Linux has /etc/network/interfaces. Does ANYONE remember the equivalent in Unix? When I do ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000, I get the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for parsing large XML with awk.

My XML structure looks like: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <SearchRepository> <SearchItems> <SearchItem> ... </SearchItem> <SearchItem> ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasonjustice
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display large file in Solaris?

Hi i want to see file in solaris which are eating space. like we have a listfiles command in AIX which show all the files in decreading order of the size . example of listfile command in this command i am able to all the huge file in root directory. do we have any similar command in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a subset of data from a large matrix

I do have a large matrix of the following format and it is tab delimited ch-ab1-20 ch-bb2-23 ch-ab1-34 ch-ab1-24 er-cc1-45 bv-cc1-78 ch-ab1-20 0 2 3 4 5 6 ch-bb2-23 3 0 5 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
6 Replies
DD(1)									FSF								     DD(1)

NAME
dd - convert and copy a file SYNOPSIS
dd [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Copy a file, converting and formatting according to the options. bs=BYTES force ibs=BYTES and obs=BYTES cbs=BYTES convert BYTES bytes at a time conv=KEYWORDS convert the file as per the comma separated keyword list count=BLOCKS copy only BLOCKS input blocks ibs=BYTES read BYTES bytes at a time if=FILE read from FILE instead of stdin obs=BYTES write BYTES bytes at a time of=FILE write to FILE instead of stdout seek=BLOCKS skip BLOCKS obs-sized blocks at start of output skip=BLOCKS skip BLOCKS ibs-sized blocks at start of input --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit BLOCKS and BYTES may be followed by the following multiplicative suffixes: xM M, c 1, w 2, b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1,000,000, M 1,048,576, GB 1,000,000,000, G 1,073,741,824, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. Each KEYWORD may be: ascii from EBCDIC to ASCII ebcdic from ASCII to EBCDIC ibm from ASCII to alternated EBCDIC block pad newline-terminated records with spaces to cbs-size unblock replace trailing spaces in cbs-size records with newline lcase change upper case to lower case notrunc do not truncate the output file ucase change lower case to upper case swab swap every pair of input bytes noerror continue after read errors sync pad every input block with NULs to ibs-size; when used with block or unblock, pad with spaces rather than NULs AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, and Stuart Kemp. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for dd is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and dd programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info dd should give you access to the complete manual. dd (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 DD(1)