Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Study UNIX Kernel
Operating Systems SCO Study UNIX Kernel Post 302952494 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of August 2015 11:57:58 AM
Old 08-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdo_8008
To corona688, I'd like to design the route from the beginning so i don't like read something then drop it and fail at the middle
That is often the way of things, sadly. One doesn't reach the moon with their first rocket, and we aren't still running the first UNIX circa epoch time 0.

Retracing UNIX's footsteps from the beginning as agent.kgb suggests is an interesting approach. The PDP-11 is a very primitive computer but not quite so primitive that you have to input the bootloader by toggling switches.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to start study Unix!

hello .. I am college student and a new guy to unix. I have a simple question: what does "unix" stand for ,or just a meaningless name ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanuo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i want to study unix,but it is very dificult.

14 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbweh5280
2 Replies

3. Programming

To study kernel and modular programming

I want to do kernel programming.So which site or books help me in studying these.I know C programming to a little extent.Please advice me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjith
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for unix study

hi I am vijay how r the unix gurus? I want to install unix for our sites.So pls tell me abt unix installation user guide & also all the unix commands.Pls help me.I am waiting for yr reply. bye..........vijay :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vi77_surat
2 Replies

5. Programming

Good Unix Online Study Material

HI Friends, I wanted to start this thread inorder to keep all the Unix starters to easily find useful material through this thread...I request you all to provide with the URL address of any gud material you know... thanks and regards... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul3894singh
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please??

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjany
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix study help

Hi, I need some help with the follow questions :(. Any help would be great! Answer with the necessary commands 1. In your login directory, make a directory called week4/revision 2. Without changing directories, make another directory week4_revision/data 3. Change to week4_revision/data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heyo
2 Replies

8. Programming

UNIX- -Case study - Library management.

Hi.. I am a new joinee to this foram.I need to submit a case study in UNIX .Please help me to submit the case study by giving your valuable ideas.It will be very helpful for me. Topic: Unix File Management A university wants to computerize its Library operations because of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji_jeya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Study Material

Hi , Can anyone suggest me any UNIX Study material and UNIX Certification specific for TELECOM-DOMAIN. Best Regards, Om Prakash. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprakash1986
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX like 2 weeks of study only

why does this not work, confused #!/bin/ksh x="x" echo "Enter a name: " read NAME while do echo $NAME echo if then echo ":" else echo $NAME fi echo echo "Enter a Name: " read NAME (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gmoney93079
8 Replies
munch(6x)							XScreenSaver manual							 munch(6x)

NAME
munch - munching squares SYNOPSIS
munch [-display host:display.screen] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-window] [-root] [-mono] [-install] [-visual visual] [-delay usecs] [-xor] [-noxor] [-clear number] [-simul number] [-classic | -mismunch | -random] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
The munch program performs the munching squares hack. It picks square size, position, and gravity randomly. It also displays a creatively broken misimplementation of the classic algorithm. The munching squares hack consists of drawing Y = X XOR T for a range of X and T over and over until all the possible combinations of X and T have come up. It was reportedly discovered by Jackson Wright in 1962 and took 5 instructions of PDP-6 code. OPTIONS
munch accepts the following options: -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -mono If on a color display, pretend we're on a monochrome display. -install Install a private colormap for the window. -visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -delay usecs The delay between steps of the animation, in microseconds. Default: 2500. -xor Use the XOR drawing function. This is the default. -no-xor Don't use the XOR drawing function. -clear number Number of squares to misdraw before clearing the display. Default: 65. -simul number Number of squares to misdraw simultaneously. Default: 5. -classic Draw classic munching squares only. -mismunch Draw "mismunch" only. -random Do one or the other. -fps Display the current frame rate and CPU load. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1), http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/hbaker/hakmem/hakmem.html HISTORY
HAKMEM: MIT AI Memo 239, Feb. 29, 1972. Beeler, M., Gosper, R.W., and Schroeppel, R. "Unless otherwise stated, all computer programs are in PDP-6/10 assembly language." ITEM 146: MUNCHING SQUARES Another simple display program. It is thought that this was discovered by Jackson Wright on the RLE PDP-1 circa 1962. DATAI 2 ADDB 1,2 ROTC 2,-22 XOR 1,2 JRST .-4 2=X, 3=Y. Try things like 1001002 in data switches. This also does interesting things with operations other than XOR, and rota- tions other than -22. (Try IOR; AND; TSC; FADR; FDV(!); ROT -14, -9, -20, ...) ITEM 147 (Schroeppel): Munching squares is just views of the graph Y = X XOR T for consecutive values of T = time. ITEM 148 (Cohen, Beeler): A modification to munching squares which reveals them in frozen states through opening and closing curtains: insert FADR 2,1 before the XOR. Try data switches = 4000,,4 1000,,2002 2000,,4 0,,1002 (Notation: <left half>,,<right half>) Also try the FADR after the XOR, switches = 1001,,1. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1997 Tim Showalter. Copyright 2004 Steven Hazel. Copyright 1992-2008 Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in sup- porting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) munch(6x)