Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Study UNIX Kernel
Operating Systems SCO Study UNIX Kernel Post 302952368 by Corona688 on Tuesday 18th of August 2015 11:12:44 AM
Old 08-18-2015
"the OS is Unix or Unix-like or A modification or derived from Unix Kernel."

Well... That would seem to cover just about all possibilities, yes.

You might try MINIX. It was the old 16-bit x86 kernel Linus Torvalds learned on, now a 32-bit kernel.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to start study Unix!

hello .. I am college student and a new guy to unix. I have a simple question: what does "unix" stand for ,or just a meaningless name ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanuo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i want to study unix,but it is very dificult.

14 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbweh5280
2 Replies

3. Programming

To study kernel and modular programming

I want to do kernel programming.So which site or books help me in studying these.I know C programming to a little extent.Please advice me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjith
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for unix study

hi I am vijay how r the unix gurus? I want to install unix for our sites.So pls tell me abt unix installation user guide & also all the unix commands.Pls help me.I am waiting for yr reply. bye..........vijay :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vi77_surat
2 Replies

5. Programming

Good Unix Online Study Material

HI Friends, I wanted to start this thread inorder to keep all the Unix starters to easily find useful material through this thread...I request you all to provide with the URL address of any gud material you know... thanks and regards... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul3894singh
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please??

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjany
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix study help

Hi, I need some help with the follow questions :(. Any help would be great! Answer with the necessary commands 1. In your login directory, make a directory called week4/revision 2. Without changing directories, make another directory week4_revision/data 3. Change to week4_revision/data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heyo
2 Replies

8. Programming

UNIX- -Case study - Library management.

Hi.. I am a new joinee to this foram.I need to submit a case study in UNIX .Please help me to submit the case study by giving your valuable ideas.It will be very helpful for me. Topic: Unix File Management A university wants to computerize its Library operations because of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji_jeya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Study Material

Hi , Can anyone suggest me any UNIX Study material and UNIX Certification specific for TELECOM-DOMAIN. Best Regards, Om Prakash. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprakash1986
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX like 2 weeks of study only

why does this not work, confused #!/bin/ksh x="x" echo "Enter a name: " read NAME while do echo $NAME echo if then echo ":" else echo $NAME fi echo echo "Enter a Name: " read NAME (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gmoney93079
8 Replies
FSCK.MINIX(8)						       System Administration						     FSCK.MINIX(8)

NAME
fsck.minix - check consistency of Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
fsck.minix [options] device DESCRIPTION
fsck.minix performs a consistency check for the Linux MINIX filesystem. The program assumes the filesystem is quiescent. fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted device unless you can be sure nobody is writ- ing to it. Remember that the kernel can write to device when it searches for files. The device name will usually have the following form: /dev/hda[1-63] IDE disk 1 /dev/hdb[1-63] IDE disk 2 /dev/sda[1-15] SCSI disk 1 /dev/sdb[1-15] SCSI disk 2 If the filesystem was changed, i.e., repaired, then fsck.minix will print "FILE SYSTEM HAS CHANGED" and will sync(2) three times before exiting. There is no need to reboot after check. WARNING
fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted filesystem. Using fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem is very dangerous, due to the possibility that deleted files are still in use, and can seriously damage a perfectly good filesystem! If you absolutely have to run fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem, such as the root filesystem, make sure nothing is writing to the disk, and that no files are "zombies" waiting for deletion. OPTIONS
-l, --list List all filenames. -r, --repair Perform interactive repairs. -a, --auto Perform automatic repairs. This option implies --repair and serves to answer all of the questions asked with the default. Note that this can be extremely dangerous in the case of extensive filesystem damage. -v, --verbose Be verbose. -s, --super Output super-block information. -m, --uncleared Activate MINIX-like "mode not cleared" warnings. -f, --force Force a filesystem check even if the filesystem was marked as valid. Marking is done by the kernel when the filesystem is unmounted. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. DIAGNOSTICS
There are numerous diagnostic messages. The ones mentioned here are the most commonly seen in normal usage. If the device does not exist, fsck.minix will print "unable to read super block". If the device exists, but is not a MINIX filesystem, fsck.minix will print "bad magic number in super-block". EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by fsck.minix is the sum of the following: 0 No errors 3 Filesystem errors corrected, system should be rebooted if filesystem was mounted 4 Filesystem errors left uncorrected 7 Combination of exit codes 3 and 4 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error AUTHORS
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> Error code values by Rik Faith <faith@cs.unc.edu> Added support for filesystem valid flag: Dr. Wettstein <greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu>. Check to prevent fsck of mounted filesystem added by Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@yggdrasil.com>. Minix v2 fs support by Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>, updated by Nicolai Langfeldt <janl@math.uio.no>. Portability patch by Russell King <rmk@ecs.soton.ac.uk>. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fsck.ext2(8), mkfs(8), mkfs.ext2(8), mkfs.minix(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The fsck.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2015 FSCK.MINIX(8)