Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Script execution is very slow when trying to find all files and their owners on HP-UX box Post 302952199 by MadeInGermany on Friday 14th of August 2015 04:49:59 PM
Old 08-14-2015
In addition to the many stat()s you do many fork()s.
Each call to external programs like ls, awk, hostname, basename, dirname is a fork().
The following has the number of fork's reduced:
Code:
# constant, evaluate once
hostname=$(hostname)
root_dir="/"

for dir in $root_dir*
do
  find "$dir" -type d \( -name '*tmp*' -o -name '*temp*' -o -name '*log*' \) -prune  -o -type f \( ! -name '*.[Ll][Oo][Gg]*' ! -name '*temp*' \) -exec ls -l {} + |
  while read permissions links owner groupowner size d1 d2 d3 filename
  do
    echo "$hostname,${filename##*/},${filename%/*},$d1 $d2 $d3,$owner,$groupowner"
  done
done

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Painfully Slow SSH login on Solaris box

Running open solaris on a e420 that I recently picked up. Having issues sshing to it from either of my Linux boxes as its very slow to login (from the solaris box to the linux box it connects just fine. Here is the output of ssh -vvv. I have hightlighted where it seems the slowdown is. Does... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: creedog
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access files from prev box after SSH to another box

i'm not much of an advanced unix programmer but I'm trying to write a script to access files on box1 after ssh from box 1 to box2. when ssh is invoked in the script i'm getting logged into box2 and losing complete touch with box1 which is normal i guess. but my main aim with my script is when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to find size of Unix Box ?

Please could anyone provide me the Command/script to find the size and usage of Unix box ASAP ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why will a unix box become slow... ???

Hi ! Can somebody tell me why -or- when will a unix box will become slow in processing .... where to go and chk the stats... for this ??? Pls help.. Thanks in advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

slow command execution?

Dear World, I just wrote a script, which puzzled me somewhat. The siginficant code was: for file in `ls splits*`; # splits* came from a split command executed earlier do tail -$SomeNumber $file | cut -d" " -f6 > $file; done; The interesting thing is this: A few of the $files were... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BandGap
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow Script Execution.

Basically my requirement is to know the total number of free anonymous ports. anonymous port range is 32768- 65535. i wrote a script for that ********************************************** for i in {32768..65535} do netstat -an | grep $i > /dev/null if ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find only files/directories with different permissions/owners

My git post-update has the following lines in it to make sure the permissions are set right: find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755 find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644 chown -R apache:apache /usr/local/apache/htdocsThe only problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find execution time of script

i am using bash START=$(date +%s) END=$(date +%s) DIFF=$(echo "$END - $START" ) this code is not working (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/script to list the owners of files

I have to list the files in a directory and along with that, list the owner of each of those files. Can someone please help me with a way to get this info please? Gayathri (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve script - slow process with big files

Gents, Please can u help me to improve this script to be more faster, it works perfectly but for big files take a lot time to end the job.. I see the problem is in the step (while) and in this part the script takes a lot time.. Please if you can find a best way to do will be great. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
13 Replies
arp(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   arp(1M)

NAME
arp - address resolution display and control SYNOPSIS
arp hostname arp -a [-n] arp -d hostname arp -f filename arp -s hostname ether_address [temp] [pub] [trail] DESCRIPTION
The arp program displays and modifies the Internet-to-MAC address translation tables used by the address resolution protocol (see arp(7P)). With no flags, the program displays the current ARP entry for hostname. The host may be specified by name or by number, using Internet dot notation. OPTIONS
-a Display all of the current ARP entries. The definition for the flags in the table are: M Mapping; only used for the multicast entry for 224.0.0.0 P Publish; includes IP address for the machine and the addresses that have explicitly been added by the -s option. ARP will respond to ARP requests for this address. S Static; not learned for the ARP protocol. U Unresolved; waiting for ARP response. You can use the -n option with the -a option to disable the automatic numeric IP address-to-name translation. Use arp -an or arp -na to display numeric IP addresses. -d Delete an entry for the host called hostname. This option may only be used by the super-user. -f Read the file named filename and set multiple entries in the ARP tables. Entries in the file should be of the form: hostname MACaddress [temp] [pub] [trail] See the -s option for argument definitions. -s Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with the MAC address MACaddress. For example, an Ethernet address is given as six hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. The entry will be permanent unless the word temp is given in the command. If the word pub is given, the entry will be published. For instance, this system will respond to ARP requests for hostname even though the hostname is not its own. The word trail indicates that trailer encapsulations may be sent to this host. arp -s can be used for a limited form of proxy ARP when a host on one of the directly attached networks is not physically present on the subnet. Another machine can then be configured to respond to ARP requests using arp -s. This is useful in certain SLIP configurations. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), arp(7P), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Mar 2003 arp(1M)