Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Volume group not activated at boot after SAN migration Post 302952168 by rbatte1 on Friday 14th of August 2015 12:02:58 PM
Old 08-14-2015
We're sure this is not NAS. Plain fibre cards with SCSI devices being detected. We probe down the fibre cards which generates /dev/sdn devices. We then blend the four paths to form multipath devices that we then use as a PV to add to the volume groups.

Much of this is automatic first time, but we did a bit of the hokey-cokey on our first few attempts so after clearing old definitions away the auto-discovery stopped.

Everything seemed fine whilst we had the new LUNs in the VG and in use but the old ones not removed. A boot would complete normally, it's just when we've removed the old LUNs from the VGs that it went off. Perhaps the old LUNs (as part of the VGs) had the VG information on them and so they would respond and the VG would vary on even though there were LUNs still initialising.

All very confusing though SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

SAN migration

Hi, I'm going to be involved in a migration of SAN islands to one big SAN. I've not worked with SANs before and I'm not sure how to approach this. I suspect the disk devices on the HP servers are going to change, when the EVA's and servers are plugged into this new Cisco 9509 switch. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hils
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

3. AIX

Moving a Logical Volume from one Volume Group to Another

Does anyone have any simple methods for moving a current logical volume from one volume group to another? I do not wish to move the data from one physical volume to another. Basically, I want to "relink" the logical volume to exist in a different volume group. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisw
2 Replies

4. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

5. AIX

Adding a Volume Group to an HACMP Resource Group?

Hi, I have a 2 node Cluster. Which is working in active/passive mode (i.e Node#1 is running and when it goes down the Node#2 takes over) Now there's this requirement that we need a mount point say /test that should be available in active node #1 and when node #1 goes down and node#2 takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

8. AIX

SAN Migration

Hi all, We are migrating our SAN storage from HSV360 to 3PAR. The system runs aix 6.1 version with HACMP. Please let me know what are requirements from OS side and how are the data copied to the new disks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
10 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
fp(7d)								      Devices								    fp(7d)

NAME
fp - Sun Fibre Channel port driver DESCRIPTION
The fp driver is a Sun fibre channel nexus driver that enables fibre channel topology discovery, device discovery, fibre channel adapter port management and other capabilities through well-defined fibre channel adapter driver interfaces. The fp driver requires the presence of a fabric name server in fabric and public loop topologies to discover fibre channel devices. In pri- vate loop topologies, the driver discovers devices by performing PLOGI to all valid AL_PAs, provided that devices do not participate in LIRP and LILP stages of loop initialization. CONFIGURATION
The fp driver is configured by defining properties in the fp.conf file. The fp driver supports the following properties: mpxio-disable Solaris I/O multipathing is enabled or disabled on fibre channel devices with the mpxio-disable property. Specifying mpxio-disable="no" activates I/O multipathing, while mpxio-disable="yes" disables the feature. Solaris I/O multipathing may be enabled or disabled on a per port basis. Per port settings override the global setting for the specified ports. The following example shows how to disable multipathing on port 0 whose parent is /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4: name="fp" parent="/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4" port=0 mpxio-disable="yes"; manual_configuration_only Automatic configuration of SCSI devices in the fabric is enabled by default and thus allows all devices discovered in the SAN zone to be enumerated in the kernel's device tree automatically. The manual_configuration_only property may be configured to disable the default behavior and force the manual configuration of the devices in the SAN. Specifying manual_configuration_only=1 disables the automatic con- figuration of devices. FILES
/kernel/drv/fp 32-bit ELF kernel driver (x86) /kernel/drv/amd64/fp 64-bit ELF kernel driver (x86) /kernel/drv/sparcv9/fp 64-bit ELF kernel driver (SPARC) /kernel/drv/fp.conf fp driver configuration file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |mpxio-disable |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |manual_configuration_only |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWfctl | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cfgadm_fp(1M), prtconf(1M), stmsboot(1M), driver.conf(4), attributes(5), fcp(7D), fctl(7D), scsi_vhci(7D) Writing Device Drivers Fibre Channel Physical and Signaling Interface (FC-PH) ANSI X3.230: 1994 Fibre Channel Generic Services (FC-GS-2) Project 1134-D Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) ANSI X3.272-1996 Fibre Channel Protocol for SCSI (FCP) ANSI X3.269-1996 SCSI-3 Architecture Model (SAM) Fibre Channel Private Loop SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) ANSI X3.270-1996 SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) ANSI X3.270-1996 SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) NCITS TR-19:1998 Fabric Loop Attachment (FC-FLA), NCITS TR-20:1998 SunOS 5.10 2 Dec 2004 fp(7d)