Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Attributes value substitution with sed command Post 302952032 by bakunin on Wednesday 12th of August 2015 05:03:02 PM
Old 08-12-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijayan Sarkar
I used the following script
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Enter the attribute name"
read att
echo "enter new value"
read value

sed "s|$att\=\S*\S|$att=\"$value\"|g" test.xml>>out.xml

Well, your script is "almost good". Let us take a step back to analyse what is going wrong:

Suppose you have following input file (only one line):

Code:
Attribute="old"

How would you write a sed-script to change "old" to "new"?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution using sed

I know we can substitute a string using sed but how? For example: sed 's/(old variable)/(new variable)/ details.dat Am I suppose to put $old variable or whatever? Because I tried many times, it didnt work by putting $old variable. Am I suppose to enclose it with "" or ''? Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohji
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

Hi, I have a set of files containing strings like I.TEST1_TEST2 or B.ESSA_ESSB for example. Does somebody know how to substitute these strings whith the same name and an extension "_V1" (ie. I.TEST1_TEST2_V1) using sed command or else ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/substitution!

I have file.txt 1 4 7 9 3 I want to replace the tabs with a space, but my code doesn't work. cat file.txt | sed 's/"\t"/ /g' > t.txt But file is still the same. Numbers seperated by tabs instead of spaces. Help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi I am trying to do a text insertion in a text file at a particular line number in a shell script. However its not working. sed '122i\ > for j in \`echo $MyList\` ; do perl -pi -e\'s#01\/01\/2009#01\/01\/2011#\' $j ; done' $HOME/MyScript.ksh The Actual line to be inserted at line 122... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
5 Replies

7. AIX

Single command to change the attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host

Hi, I would like to know if there is a command similar to scsimgr in HP-UX that can help me change the algorithm and reserve_policy attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host. Otherwise I would have to use, chdev -l hdiskX -a algorithm=round_robin reserve_policy=no_reserve in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi everyone, I need very simple sed command to change a parameter in a text file. I have a line in this text which is like set xx 0.5 A program reads this file and does some algebraic calculations. So to make a parameter scan I need to change the value of xx. I thought I can do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attributes value substitution with sed command

Hi, I am trying to substitute an attributes value using sed command but it is only possible to substitute the value without space. input xml <BillingAddress11300000 Tag="11300000" SectionID="BLA" CustAddrName="CLAUDIA LUCIA DE ALMEIDA" CustAddrStreet="AV ENGENHEIRO RICHARD" CustAddrState="RJ"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bijayan Sarkar
3 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)