Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/motd - queries
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers /etc/motd - queries Post 302951948 by mescu on Wednesday 12th of August 2015 05:37:15 AM
Old 08-12-2015
Question /etc/motd - queries

If I have /etc/motd, he is file or directory?
I saw that some call them folders and files others... Which option is better?
I knew that being a director, but many told me not.

Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Editing motd

Hie. Im having a problem editing the motd ( message of the day ). I tried to edit the file /etc/motd but its end up with nothing. I find out the directory /etc/motd is in rw- r - r i changed it to executable rwxw-rw-r but having same thing no changes in the motd. Anyone having any idea how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

motd for different users

Hi, I was hoping to get some help on this question: I have different groups of users logging into our servers and I would like to set it up so that when they login they could get an update from the motd. How do I set it up so that I can have one group see a different motd than the system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic MOTD

Hello all, I'm looking for a way to have motd display something different when users log in based on what groups they belong to. I'm network administratinng at a college and professors would like to have different posts come up to students when they log in based on the different classes they are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoppese
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

7. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

8. Solaris

MOTD Display

Hi all, Wish to check which setting is set to display the MOTD AFTER successful password verification. I am logging in via a 3rd party ssh tool tectia. Eg. Login: password: OS Prompt> Thanks Eugene (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
5 Replies

9. Linux

From where does motd data comes?

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and whenever I login to the xterm terminal through ssh, I am getting the following motd (message of the day) info. Linux desktop 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS Welcome to Ubuntu! *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default motd for different OS

Hello, which is the default motd for the different following different OS versions? RHEL: has no default motd? HP-UX: no motd but cat /etc/copyright in /etc/profile: (c)Copyright 1983-2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. (c)Copyright 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985-1993 The Regents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
2 Replies
imapd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  imapd(8)

NAME
imapd - Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) server process SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/imapd DESCRIPTION
The IMAP4rev1 server, imapd, accepts commands on its standard input and responds on its standard output. It is normally invoked by the inetd command and it reads its configuration options out of the imapd.conf file. If you want to take the IMAP server off line for a period of time, you should notify the client systems. To do this, create a msg/shutdown file, edit it, and state the reason for the shut down. Set the owner of the msg directory and the shutdown file to be the imap user. When a client system tries to access the server, imapd sends the first line contained in the shutdown file to the client and closes the connec- tion. If you want to send a message to the IMAP clients without disabling connections, create a msg/motd file, edit it, and add your message. Set the owner of the msg directory and the motd file to be the imap user. The server sends the first line contained in the file to the clients upon connection as an ALERT message, which IMAP-compliant clients are required to display. Access to mailboxes is unaffected. For debugging purposes, create a log/user directory. When this directory exists, the imapd daemon creates protocol telemetry logs for ses- sions authenticating as user. The telemetry logs are stored in the log/user directory with the file name of the imapd process id. The msg/shutdown and msg/motd files and the log/user directory should be created under the directory specified in the configdirectory con- figuration option of the imapd.conf file. The default value is /var/imap, as in /var/imap/msg/motd. FILES
Configuration file for the IMAP server SEE ALSO
Commands: cyradm(1), deliver(8), imapd(8), imapquota(8), inetd(8), reconstruct(8) Files: imapd.conf(4) Network Administration imapd(8)