Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cpio all *.txt-files out of folders to just one directory Post 302951718 by Don Cragun on Monday 10th of August 2015 03:37:42 AM
Old 08-10-2015
No. Always use the quotes for every -name or -iname primary operand. (You can get by without it under certain circumstances and with the lack of files matching a pattern in your current working directory; but when you try the same script later after some files have been added or when you run it in a different directory, your script with stop working. Even when the quotes aren't required, adding them will never cause you a problem.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all files except *.txt in a directory

I have many types of files (Eg: *.log, *.rpt, *.txt, *.dat) in a directory. I want to display all file types except *.txt. What is the command to display all files except "*.txt" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mv OR cp many files from 1 big directory with sub folders all to 1 spot?

Hello All. I am trying to do this from a terminal prompt on my mac.... I have 100 folders all named different things. Those 100 folders are inside ~/Desktop/Pictures directory. Each of the 100 folders are uniquely named. The image files inside of each folder only have some similarities. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoyoyo777
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if the files in a directory have a txt extension

foreach file ($dir1/*) if ($file ~ *.txt) then echo "Skipping $file (is a txt file)" endif end that should work right guys? :confused: (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Delete files and folders under given directory

I have a requirement to delete the files and folders under a given directory. my directory structure is like this.. Data | A(Directory) |_PDF(Directory)----pdf files |_XML()Directory --xml files |--files | B(Directory) |_PDF(Directory)----pdf files |_XML()Directory --xml files ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save files in directory as txt

wget -x -i link.txt The above downloads and create unique entries for the 97 links in the text file. However, each new file is saved as CM080 with a FILE extention. Is there a way to convert each file in that directory to a .txt? The 97 files are in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can i add each line from a txt file to different files in the same directory?

Hello, this is my first thread here :) So i have a text file that contains words in each line like abcd efgh ijkl mnop and i have 4 txt files, i want to add each line to each file, like file 1 gets abcd at the end; file 2 gets efgh at the end .... I tried with: cat test | while read -r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: azaiiez
6 Replies
GIT-CLEAN(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-CLEAN(1)

NAME
git-clean - Remove untracked files from the working tree SYNOPSIS
git clean [-d] [-f] [-n] [-q] [-e <pattern>] [-x | -X] [--] <path>... DESCRIPTION
Cleans the working tree by recursively removing files that are not under version control, starting from the current directory. Normally, only files unknown to Git are removed, but if the -x option is specified, ignored files are also removed. This can, for example, be useful to remove all build products. If any optional <path>... arguments are given, only those paths are affected. OPTIONS
-d Remove untracked directories in addition to untracked files. If an untracked directory is managed by a different Git repository, it is not removed by default. Use -f option twice if you really want to remove such a directory. -f, --force If the Git configuration variable clean.requireForce is not set to false, git clean will refuse to run unless given -f or -n. -n, --dry-run Don't actually remove anything, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Be quiet, only report errors, but not the files that are successfully removed. -e <pattern>, --exclude=<pattern> In addition to those found in .gitignore (per directory) and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, also consider these patterns to be in the set of the ignore rules in effect. -x Don't use the standard ignore rules read from .gitignore (per directory) and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, but do still use the ignore rules given with -e options. This allows removing all untracked files, including build products. This can be used (possibly in conjunction with git reset) to create a pristine working directory to test a clean build. -X Remove only files ignored by Git. This may be useful to rebuild everything from scratch, but keep manually created files. SEE ALSO
gitignore(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-CLEAN(1)