Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCPdump
Special Forums IP Networking TCPdump Post 302951449 by Ultrix on Thursday 6th of August 2015 11:50:35 AM
Old 08-06-2015
But I'm on a switched network, so the network switch will filter out packets not destined for my computer and I will not receive them. I can understand why I would be getting those packets if the network were using a hub, since a hub just broadcasts packets to all hosts, but a switch will only send them to the host they are addressed to.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How To Use tcpdump

I have two net-card. one is 172.16.24.99(ENG) ,another is 172.16.25.99(ENG-B). Both masks is 255.255.255.0. I will monitor data on the tcp port 8055 in ENG, How do I set option of tcpdump command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcpdump

does anybody know what the -d -dd and -ddd options are used for ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ant04
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

tcpdump question

Hi, I got the following question regarding tcpdump and I would appreciate your help/feedback: --Scenario I am instructed to capture the network traffic by getting the tcpdump data/files of our network for every hour. --Problem Some of the connections are still open when the capture is done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinsunnyvale
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
2 Replies

6. Linux

Capturing TCPDUMP

Hi, I want to capture TCPDUMP of traffic, I tried doing this but did not find success..can anyone plz correct it. # tcpdump -s0 -vv -w /home/osuresh/test_tcp_dump host 10.12.10.22 && port 161 bash: tcpdump: command not found # tcpdump -s0 -vv -w /home/osuresh/test_tcp_dump host... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcpdump -i any does not work

Hi Everyone, anyone face "tcpdump -i any" does not work? i mean if i use -i eth0, can capture eth0, or use -i eth1 also can. but then tcpdump -i any, seems cannot capture packets. :confused: please advice, thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCPdump script

I'm new to the Unix/Linux world. I have taken classes and played with a few simple scripts but never had a real world application. Here is my problem. What I need to do is every 15min between 8am and 5pm, run tcpdump -s 2000 -w flowroute-0000.pcap where the "0000" is the current time. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nasasdge
4 Replies

9. Debian

Tcpdump Help !

Hi. Need Help with TcpDump Trying to sniff associatio-request with tcpdump but when i run this tcpdump -i eth0 wlan subtype assoc-req i get this error can anyone help me with this error ? Thanks alot !!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SoulZB
1 Replies
pcapdump(1)															       pcapdump(1)

NAME
pcapdump - dedicated packet capture utility SYNOPSIS
pcapdump [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
pcapdump captures packets from a network interface and writes them to a dumpfile. The filename argument given to -w will be formated by strftime(3). PCAPNET OPTIONS
-i interface Input interface to read packets from. -r pcap file Dump file to read packets from. -w pcap file Dump file to write filtered packets to. -f expression BPF expression which selects packets to be filtered. -s snaplen Capture snaplen bytes of data from each packet. -p Disable promiscuous mode sniffing. PROGRAM OPTIONS
-u owner Set the output file's owning user to owner. -g group Set the output file's owning group to group. -m mode Set the output file's mode to mode, specified in octal. -t secs Dump file rotation interval in seconds. -c count Exit after capturing count packets. -T secs Exit after capturing during this amount of seconds. -H Only capture link, network, and transport headers; do not capture application-layer data. -S sample value Sample the packet stream by only dumping 1 in every sample value packets. -R Together with -S, sample the packets randomly, not systematically. -P pidfile Daemonize the process and write its PID to pidfile. -C config file File to read configuration variables from. Instead of passing configuration through the command line, a file can be used to specify values for the bpf, device, filefmt, group, interval, mode, owner, promisc, and snaplen options (not all need to be specified; de- faults will be used otherwise). See /usr/share/doc/pcaputils/examples/pcapdump/eth0 for an example. 9 May 2009 pcapdump(1)