Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCPdump
Special Forums IP Networking TCPdump Post 302951378 by Ultrix on Wednesday 5th of August 2015 05:14:19 PM
Old 08-05-2015
TCPdump

I've recently started learning to use TCPdump, and I find it pretty interesting. There's one thing I don't understand. When I tell it to capture packets on, say, the WiFi interface en1, it often captures packets sent or received by other hosts on the network. How can it do this? My understanding is that on a switched network, a host will only receive packets destined for that host. How is it that I can see packets destined for other hosts?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How To Use tcpdump

I have two net-card. one is 172.16.24.99(ENG) ,another is 172.16.25.99(ENG-B). Both masks is 255.255.255.0. I will monitor data on the tcp port 8055 in ENG, How do I set option of tcpdump command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcpdump

does anybody know what the -d -dd and -ddd options are used for ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ant04
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

tcpdump question

Hi, I got the following question regarding tcpdump and I would appreciate your help/feedback: --Scenario I am instructed to capture the network traffic by getting the tcpdump data/files of our network for every hour. --Problem Some of the connections are still open when the capture is done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinsunnyvale
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
2 Replies

6. Linux

Capturing TCPDUMP

Hi, I want to capture TCPDUMP of traffic, I tried doing this but did not find success..can anyone plz correct it. # tcpdump -s0 -vv -w /home/osuresh/test_tcp_dump host 10.12.10.22 && port 161 bash: tcpdump: command not found # tcpdump -s0 -vv -w /home/osuresh/test_tcp_dump host... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcpdump -i any does not work

Hi Everyone, anyone face "tcpdump -i any" does not work? i mean if i use -i eth0, can capture eth0, or use -i eth1 also can. but then tcpdump -i any, seems cannot capture packets. :confused: please advice, thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCPdump script

I'm new to the Unix/Linux world. I have taken classes and played with a few simple scripts but never had a real world application. Here is my problem. What I need to do is every 15min between 8am and 5pm, run tcpdump -s 2000 -w flowroute-0000.pcap where the "0000" is the current time. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nasasdge
4 Replies

9. Debian

Tcpdump Help !

Hi. Need Help with TcpDump Trying to sniff associatio-request with tcpdump but when i run this tcpdump -i eth0 wlan subtype assoc-req i get this error can anyone help me with this error ? Thanks alot !!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SoulZB
1 Replies
PCAP_STATS(3PCAP)														 PCAP_STATS(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_stats - get capture statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_stats(pcap_t *p, struct pcap_stat *ps); DESCRIPTION
pcap_stats() fills in the struct pcap_stat pointed to by its second argument. The values represent packet statistics from the start of the run to the time of the call. pcap_stats() is supported only on live captures, not on ``savefiles''; no statistics are stored in ``savefiles'', so no statistics are available when reading from a ``savefile''. A struct pcap_stat has the following members: ps_recv number of packets received; ps_drop number of packets dropped because there was no room in the operating system's buffer when they arrived, because packets weren't being read fast enough; ps_ifdrop number of packets dropped by the network interface or its driver. The statistics do not behave the same way on all platforms. ps_recv might count packets whether they passed any filter set with pcap_set- filter(3PCAP) or not, or it might count only packets that pass the filter. It also might, or might not, count packets dropped because there was no room in the operating system's buffer when they arrived. ps_drop is not available on all platforms; it is zero on platforms where it's not available. If packet filtering is done in libpcap, rather than in the operating system, it would count packets that don't pass the filter. Both ps_recv and ps_drop might, or might not, count packets not yet read from the operating system and thus not yet seen by the application. ps_ifdrop might, or might not, be implemented; if it's zero, that might mean that no packets were dropped by the interface, or it might mean that the statistic is unavailable, so it should not be treated as an indication that the interface did not drop any packets. RETURN VALUE
pcap_stats() returns 0 on success and returns -1 if there is an error or if p doesn't support packet statistics. If -1 is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argument to fetch or display the error text. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap_geterr(3PCAP) 7 September 2009 PCAP_STATS(3PCAP)