Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with script - GREP
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with script - GREP Post 302951150 by Scrutinizer on Monday 3rd of August 2015 07:00:50 AM
Old 08-03-2015
Note: Even though this will work in most of the cases, there is the potential for false matches, since the . (dot) is interpreted as any character in grep's regular expressions..
This could be improved somewhat using string matches with the -F operator:
Code:
grep -vFf text2.txt text1.txt

But then there could still be partial matches and one would have to do something like this, using bash/ksh93 process substitution:
Code:
grep -vFf <(sed 's/^/ /' text2.txt) text1.txt

Although even that would still not be 100% sure.
To achieve that we would need to use something like this:
Code:
grep -vf <(sed 's/^/[[:blank:]]/; s/\./\\./g; s/$/$/' text2.txt) text1.txt

--
A better option would be to use awk, using exact string matching of fields:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1]; next} !($2 in A)' text2.txt text1.txt

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 08-03-2015 at 09:31 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep from a script...

This is an extract from a script that i am trying to run. for tim in "2005:00:" "2005:01:" "2005:02:" "2005:03:" "2005:04:" "2005:05:"; do FormString="$tim" echo "grep '$FormString' access.10Aug-1201AM" count=`grep "$FormString" access.10Aug-1201AM | wc -l` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamsasal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep script

hi guys, i was hoping you could help me out with the following im designing a help site for my work colleagues and would like a little script which would do a grep to check if an application is running on unix for example this is what i do on unix ps -ef | grep mqm and this tells me if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep within a script

Hi, I am new to this - I have a unix command (below) that I would like to make automated. I would like the script to run the below command line but would like user input for '\' and '\' as these values will change depending on what i'm searching for. Is this possible? if so please help. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnash
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to grep the first few lines of a continuos script, and exit the script anyidea

Hi. I am trying to extract the output of the first few lines of a continuos sh script. The when i run it, i wont to grep the the first 20 lines of it for an entry and basically do a crtl z out of it or to that effect, and output the results to a text file. I basically want to script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k00061804
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sql error in shell script and exit the script?

I need help in the following script. I want to grep the sql errors insert into the error table and exit the shell script if there is any error, otherwise keep running the scripts. Here is my script #!/bin/csh -f source .orapass set user = $USER set pass = $PASS cd /opt/data/scripts echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell99
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script use min resource ( grep grep)

Hi i wrote script use it as watchdog ( i mean it check another program (pooya) whenever that was killed (closed or crashed) it run another script (pooya_start.sh) to start it, this script work fine and do the job for me , i need help of an expert to tell me (exact command) how to change this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep IP script

Hello, I have a command and would like to make that as a script. How do I do that? my command is: grep -Eo +\.+\.+\.+. and i want to have that like grepscript.sh x.txt > IP.txt Can somebody help me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightball
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Script

Hi, New to scripting and looking for some help. I am trying to write a script that will search a specified directory for any new or modified files within the last 7 days and display the results. This will be ran daily and emailed? Thanks (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Con592
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep within script

Hi, I found script which compare ciphers with openssl and return back all result in "YES" (for matching) and "NO" (for no match) I want to result only "YES" part which can be achieved using grep but not sure how and where to place in below script" Script:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khuharshree
1 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)