Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pairing the nth elements on multiple lines iteratively Post 302951107 by John Lyon on Sunday 2nd of August 2015 01:17:15 PM
Old 08-02-2015
Thanks to you both for your replies. I was trying to keep it simple, but I should've added more information, I think. Here goes:

The data come from a LaTeX file, which uses a package called "Expex" which formats interlinear analyses of a non-English language.

The following two examples show how the data is laid out. The first line "\gla" is the object language, the second line "\glb" is the underlying form, the third line "\glc" is the morpheme gloss, the fourth line "\glc" is the word translation (the package doesn't allow "\gld" for whatever reason), and the last line "\glft" is the sentence translation. As you see, the number of words varies from example to example, just as natural language sentences may be shorter, or longer.

Each "word" is enclosed in curly brackets in the first two lines (though other sets of curly brackets may be nested within words), but only separated by spaces in the second two lines. The curly brackets are necessary to delimit words in the first two lines since some latex commands (e.g. "\ts" below) require blank spaces after them.

Code:
\gla {itl\'i\textglotstop } {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {t\textschwa cx\textsuperscript{w}\'u\texthalflength\texthalflength y.}// 
\glb {itl\'i\textglotstop } {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {tc+\ts x\textsuperscript{w}\'uy}//
\glc \textsc{dem} \textsc{rep} \textsc{loc}+go //
\glc from.there they.say came.over.this.way //
\glft `They said he was coming along.' //

\gla {u\textbeltl } {cut} {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {al\'a\textglotstop } {lut} {i\textglotstop } {q\'aqx\textsuperscript{w}\textschwa lx} {ka\textglotstop} {cx\textsuperscript{w}uys} {i\textglotstop } {l} {siw\textbeltl k\textsuperscript{w}.} //
\glb {u\textbeltl } {cut} {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {al\'a\textglotstop } {lut} {i\textglotstop } {q\'a(\tb)\ts qx\textsuperscript{w}lx} {ki\textglotstop} {c\textendash \ts x\textsuperscript{w}uy\textendash s} {i\textglotstop } {l} {siw\textbeltl k\textsuperscript{w}} //
\glc \textsc{conj} say \textsc{rep} \textsc{dem} \textsc{neg} \textsc{det} fish \textsc{comp.obl} \textsc{cust}\textendash go\textendash \textsc{3sg.poss} \textsc{det} \textsc{loc} water //
\glc and he.said they.say here no the fish where.that they.come the through water //
\glft `Coyote said there will be no fish going through the water here.' //

The \glft line may be ignored, but what I'd like exactly is the following, where "&" denotes a column separator in LaTeX and "\\" indicates a newline. Each line has 4 "words", i.e. the nth word in each of the first four lines in the examples above.

Code:
{itl\'i\textglotstop } & {itl\'i\textglotstop } & \textsc{dem} & from.there \\
{k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} & {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} &  \textsc{rep} & they.say \\

Etcetera. Once the first example is done, the second example would be appended to the above list. Eventually each line will be sorted alphabetically by the first "column". It'd also be nice to be able to choose which input lines to include in the output, though I'd greatly appreciate any more assistance you could give in obtaining the basic result just outlined. Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average of elements throught multiple files

Hi, I got a lot of files looking like this: 1 0.5 6 All together there are ard 1'000'000 lines in each of the ard 100 files. I want to build the average for every line, and write the result to a new file. The averaging should start at a specific line, here for example at line... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillmaster
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting number of lines of nth occurrency

Hi all, I would like to extract the line number of the n-th occurrency of a given string in a file. e.g. xxx yyy xxx zzz xxx the second occurrency of xxx is at line 3. What is the fastest way to do it in bash? Thank you, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth line across multiple files

I have several files (around 50) that have the similar format. I need to extract the 5th line from every file and output that into a text file. So far, I have been able to figure out how to do it for a single file: $ awk 'NR==5' text1.txt > results.txt OR $ sed -n '5p' text1.txt > results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriqin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array output through a for loop problematic with multiple elements.

This code works perfect when using a machine with only one interface online. (Excluding the loopback of course) But when I have other interface up for vmware or a vpn the output gets mixed up. I know I had this working when I was just reading ip's from files so I know it is not a problem with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to output all lines following Nth occurrence of string

Greetings experts. Searched the forums (perhaps not hard enough?) - Am searching for a method to capture all output from a log file following the nth occurrence of a known string. Background: Using bash, I want to monitor my Oracle DB alert log file. The script will count the total # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjtravis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines after nth LINE from an output

Hi all, Here is my problem for which i am breaking my head for past three days.. I have parted command output as follows.. Model: ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-0 (scsi) Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos Number Start End Size Type ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files in shell bash, changing elements order.

Hi, I want to rename several files like this: example: A0805120817.BHN A0805120818.BHN ..... to: 20120817.0805.N 20120818.0805.N ...... How can i do this via terminal or in shell bash script ? thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintolcv
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the lines with nth column non-null

Hi, I have a huge list of archives (.gz). Each archive is about 40MB. A file is generated every minute so if I want to analyze the data for 1 hour I get already 60 files for example. These are text files, ';' separated, each line having about 300 fields (columns). What I need to do is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nenad
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple arrays elements using awk

I need your help to discover missing elements for each box. In theory each box should have 4 items: ITEM01, ITEM02, ITEM08, and ITEM10. Some boxes either have a missing item (BOX02 ITEM08) or might have da duplicate item (BOX03 ITEM02) and missing another one (BOX03 ITEM01). file01.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Statistics(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Perl::Critic::Statistics(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Statistics - Compile stats on Perl::Critic violations. DESCRIPTION
This class accumulates statistics on Perl::Critic violations across one or more files. NOTE: This class is experimental and subject to change. INTERFACE SUPPORT
This is considered to be a non-public class. Its interface is subject to change without notice. METHODS
"new()" Create a new instance of Perl::Critic::Statistics. No arguments are supported at this time. " accumulate( $doc, @violations ) " Accumulates statistics about the $doc and the @violations that were found. "modules()" The number of chunks of code (usually files) that have been analyzed. "subs()" The total number of subroutines analyzed by this Critic. "statements()" The total number of statements analyzed by this Critic. "lines()" The total number of lines of code analyzed by this Critic. "lines_of_blank()" The total number of blank lines analyzed by this Critic. This includes only blank lines in code, not POD or data. "lines_of_comment()" The total number of comment lines analyzed by this Critic. This includes only lines whose first non-whitespace character is "#". "lines_of_data()" The total number of lines of data section analyzed by this Critic, not counting the "__END__" or "__DATA__" line. POD in a data section is counted as POD, not data. "lines_of_perl()" The total number of lines of Perl code analyzed by this Critic. Perl appearing in the data section is not counted. "lines_of_pod()" The total number of lines of POD analyzed by this Critic. Pod occurring in a data section is counted as POD, not as data. "violations_by_severity()" The number of violations of each severity found by this Critic as a reference to a hash keyed by severity. "violations_by_policy()" The number of violations of each policy found by this Critic as a reference to a hash keyed by full policy name. "total_violations()" The the total number of violations found by this Critic. "statements_other_than_subs()" The total number of statements minus the number of subroutines. Useful because a subroutine is considered a statement by PPI. "average_sub_mccabe()" The average McCabe score of all scanned subroutines. "violations_per_file()" The total violations divided by the number of modules. "violations_per_statement()" The total violations divided by the number statements minus subroutines. "violations_per_line_of_code()" The total violations divided by the lines of code. AUTHOR
Elliot Shank "<perl@galumph.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Elliot Shank. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Statistics(3)