Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check file from multiple files is empty using awk Post 302950995 by siramitsharma on Friday 31st of July 2015 03:00:16 AM
Old 07-31-2015
Yup, changed in the code but didnt updated in the code shared by you.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
awk -F'|' '
FNR == 1 {
	for(filecounter = 1; filecounter <= ARGC; filecounter++)
		if(FILENAME == ARGV[filecounter])
			break
	printf("***Processing file %s, filecounter=%d\n", FILENAME, filecounter)
}
filecounter==1 {KRL[$1]=$2;next}
filecounter==2 {GUJ[$1]=$2;next}
filecounter==3 {DEL[$1]=$2;next}
filecounter==4 {UPW[$1]=$2;next}
{	if($1 in KRL)
		print "FOUND IN KRL"
	else if($1 in GUJ)
		print "FOUND IN GUJ"
	else if($1 in DEL)
		print "FOUND IN DEL"
	else if($1 in UPW)
		print "FOUND IN UPW"
	else	print "Not Found"
}' "$@"

---------- Post updated at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:47 AM ----------

Hi Don, also if you see that file4 content, i am putting field1 in array whose value is field2 from file4
Code:
filecounter==4{UPW[$1]=$2;next}

& the same is being matched from mainfile. I have also highlighted the same in my earlier post. Can you please suggest how to handle this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is empty?

Hi Masters..... I have problem !!! I need to check number of records in a file and if it is zero or file is empty i need to do some task. if ; then echo "File s empty" else echo "Not empty" fi so how to check this condition. I used wc -l < filename.txt => 1 for zero records same result... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is empty

How do I check if a file is empty in a sh script I want to test in my shell script if the output file is empty and if it is do one thing and if it isnt empty do another? any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a text file is empty or not (using ls -s)

Hello, I want to make a script which says if a text file is empty or not. I tried two ways of making it, but I have problems with both of them. Now I think that the better way is the ls -s solution (considering that an empty text file has a 0 weight, because "cat file.txt" fails when file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty Multiple files contents

I would like to empty multiple files contents (without delete the file) which have similar name to begin with. e.g. log1.txt log2.txt log3.txt log4.txt I know cat /dev/null will do the job but that only apply to a single file. But when i tried cat /dev/null > {} \; that doesnt do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kin
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out multiple files with a single command?

I have a log directory: /logs/foo.log /logs/bar.log /logs/err.out I'm trying to find a way to > /logs/*.log > /logs/*.out to blank them out, but of course, that doesn't work. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File check script fails for multiple files

I want to check if any file with testing*.txt exists but my script fails if more than 1 file exists. It works fine for a single file if then echo "TEST21" fi -------------- bash: How do I fix this? Thanks Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty file check

Hi gurus , I have two files and i want to perform different action based on the condition if both or either is empty If then Do something elif then do something elif then do something else do something fi I have tried the below bt its not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split file into multiple files based on empty lines

I am using below code to split files based on blank lines but it does not work. awk 'BEGIN{i=0}{RS="";}{x="F"++i;}{print > x;}' Your help would be highly appreciated find attachment of sample.txt file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imranrasheedamu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating multiple empty files with touch

Hello, sorry to bother anyone reading this I have an assignment with a question that reads: Your current directory is stenton. Create empty files called f1, f2, and f12 (in that order), within stenton So my first thought was to enter: touch f1 f2 f12 but that does not work, does anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eleuin
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I check, if on remote server directory is empty or have files?

I have a script, which is supposed to run 1 day of the month, connect to remote server certain directory, find files, tar the, and copy find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_monthly.tar *${Today}*.*; if then echo "Cannot create a tar file, the terminated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
wait(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh wait [pid...] /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh wait [pid...] wait [ % jobid...] /bin/csh wait DESCRIPTION
The shell itself executes wait, without creating a new process. If you get the error message cannot fork,too many processes, try using the wait command to clean up your background processes. If this doesn't help, the system process table is probably full or you have too many active foreground processes. There is a limit to the number of process IDs associated with your login, and to the number the system can keep track of. Not all the processes of a pipeline with three or more stages are children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. /bin/sh, /bin/jsh Wait for your background process whose process ID is pid and report its termination status. If pid is omitted, all your shell's currently active background processes are waited for and the return code will be 0. The wait utility accepts a job identifier, when Job Control is enabled (jsh), and the argument, jobid, is preceded by a percent sign (%). If pid is not an active process ID, the wait utility will return immediately and the return code will be 0. csh Wait for your background processes. ksh When an asynchronous list is started by the shell, the process ID of the last command in each element of the asynchronous list becomes known in the current shell execution environment. If the wait utility is invoked with no operands, it will wait until all process IDs known to the invoking shell have terminated and exit with an exit status of 0. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent known process IDs (or jobids), the wait utility will wait until all of them have terminated. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent unknown process IDs (or jobids), wait will treat them as if they were known process IDs (or jobids) that exited with exit status 127. The exit status returned by the wait utility will be the exit status of the process requested by the last pid or jobid operand. The known process IDs are applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: One of the following: pid The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, for which the utility is to wait for the termination. jobid A job control job ID that identifies a background process group to be waited for. The job control job ID notation is applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment, and only on systems supporting the job control option. USAGE
On most implementations, wait is a shell built-in. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, (wait) nohup wait ... find . -exec wait ... ; it will return immediately because there will be no known process IDs to wait for in those environments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using A Script To Identify The Termination Signal Although the exact value used when a process is terminated by a signal is unspecified, if it is known that a signal terminated a process, a script can still reliably figure out which signal is using kill, as shown by the following (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 1000& pid=$! kill -kill $pid wait $pid echo $pid was terminated by a SIG$(kill -l $(($?-128))) signal. Example 2: Returning The Exit Status Of A Process If the following sequence of commands is run in less than 31 seconds (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 257 | sleep 31 & jobs -l %% then either of the following commands will return the exit status of the second sleep in the pipeline: wait <pid of sleep 31> wait %% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wait: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), jobs(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 1997 wait(1)