Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Join files on multiple fields Post 302950754 by sheetalk on Tuesday 28th of July 2015 11:55:57 AM
Old 07-28-2015
thanks ! can the 3rd column be picked up on the fly and not hard-coded ? The reason is I have multiple pairs of files to join..and I want to do them in a loop rather than hardcoding the names...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

join on multiple fields

Is it possible to do a join on multiple fields of two files? I am trying to do something like join -t, -1 2,3 -2 2,3 -o 2.1,2.2,2.3,1.3 filea fileb I want the join to be on columns 2 and 3 of filea and columns 2 and 3 of fileb. What is hapenning is that the second file that I want to do the join... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reggiej
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

join on a file with multiple lines, fields

I've looked at the join command which is able to perform what I need on two rows with a common field, however if I have more than two rows I need to join all of them. Thus I have one file with multiple rows to be joined on an index number: 1 randomtext1 2 rtext2 2 rtext3 3 rtext4 3 rtext5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimper
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join 2 files with multiple columns: awk/grep/join?

Hello, My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I have had a look at several threads but I am still confused how to use these functions. I have two files, each with 5 columns: File A: (tab-delimited) PDB CHAIN Start End Fragment 1avq A 171 176 awyfan 1avq A 172 177 wyfany 1c7k A 2 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to join multiple files?

I am trying to join a few hundred files using join. Is there a way to use while read or something else to automate this. My problem is the following. Day 1 City Temp ABC 20 DEF 30 HIJ 15 Day 2 City Temp ABC 22 DEF 29 KLM 5 Day 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theFinn
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Join on multiple fields

Hi, I need help with the join command I have 2 files that I want to join on multiple fields. I want to return all records from file 1 I also want empty fields in my joined file if there isn't a match in file 2 I have already sorted them so I know they are in the same order. file1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter0810
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use the the join command to join multiple files by a common column

Hi, I have 20 tab delimited text files that have a common column (column 1). The files are named GSM1.txt through GSM20.txt. Each file has 3 columns (2 other columns in addition to the first common column). I want to write a script to join the files by the first common column so that in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk program to join 2 fields of different files

Hello Friends, I just need a small help, I need an awk program which can join 2 fields of different files which are having one common field into one file. File - 1 FileName~Size File- 2 FileName~Date I need the output file in the following way O/P- File FileName~Date~Size For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields from files with duplicate lines

I have two files, file1.txt: 1 abc 2 def 2 dgh 3 ijk 4 lmn file2.txt 1 opq 2 rst 3 uvw My desired output is: 1 abc opq 2 def rst 2 dgh rst 3 ijk uvw (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xan.amini
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields comparing 4 fields using awk

Hi All, I am looking for an awk script to do the following Join the fields together only if the first 4 fields are same. Can it be done with join function in awk?? a,b,c,d,8,,, a,b,c,d,,7,, a,b,c,d,,,9, a,b,p,e,8,,, a.b,p,e,,9,, a,b,p,z,,,,9 a,b,p,z,,8,, desired output: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aksijain
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join multiple files

Hi there, I am trying to join 24 files (i showed example of 3 files below). They all have 2 columns. The first columns is common to all. The files are tab delimited eg file 1 rs0001 100e-34 rs0003 2.8e-01 rs008 1.9e-90 file 2 rs0001 1.98e-22 rs0004 3.77e-10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fat
4 Replies
Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)					       Tk Library Procedures						Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetJoinStyle, Tk_NameOfJoinStyle - translate between strings and join styles SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> int Tk_GetJoinStyle(interp, string, joinPtr) const char * Tk_NameOfJoinStyle(join) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter to use for error reporting. const char *string (in) String containing name of join style: one of "bevel", "miter", or "round". int *joinPtr (out) Pointer to location in which to store X join style corresponding to string. int join (in) Join style: one of JoinBevel, JoinMiter, JoinRound. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_GetJoinStyle places in *joinPtr the X join style corresponding to string, which will be one of JoinBevel, JoinMiter, or JoinRound. Join styles are typically used in X graphics contexts to indicate how adjacent line segments should be joined together. See the X documentation for information on what each style implies. Under normal circumstances the return value is TCL_OK and interp is unused. If string does not contain a valid join style or an abbrevia- tion of one of these names, then an error message is stored in interp->result, TCL_ERROR is returned, and *joinPtr is unmodified. Tk_NameOfJoinStyle is the logical inverse of Tk_GetJoinStyle. Given a join style such as JoinBevel it returns a statically-allocated string corresponding to join. If join is not a legal join style, then "unknown join style" is returned. KEYWORDS
bevel, join style, miter, round Tk Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)