Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup files recusive
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup files recusive Post 302950687 by RudiC on Tuesday 28th of July 2015 03:51:21 AM
Old 07-28-2015
Do you just want to compress, or would e.g. tar (or another archiver) come in handy?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup my files to DAT

hi guys, im using tru64 unix and i want to put my files on tapes. i have already a hp DAT storage, do you have any admin guides for backup/restore procedures for these? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jefferson
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recusive Directory Permissions with Spaces

Ok, I think it would be wise to begin with the scenario. I've got a server that has a template directory structure containing 7 folders. Some folders will need permissions set one way, and other set another way. That's the easy part using: chmod -R 755 * ;This used first to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junk_box9
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup The Files In Unix

hi punters, i have a small requirement,i would need to code some script in AIX. please join me on yahoo anytime hrsuprith@yahoo.co.in hrsuprith@gmail.com (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suprithhr
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Backup Files Failed

I am having difficulty in doing ontape -s -L 0. At first it was giving a message Archive failed - function to write to tape failed code -l errno 5. After about 24 hours it says "could not write archive tape. What do I do? Can anyone please advise on what the problem is and what I can do? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gillonye
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup files

Greetings. I've got a little bit of problem with writing a script. I'd like to write a script that creates backup files (of your computer) once a week, and on the other days of the week it just updates it. Thanks in advance i hope you can help: buddhist p.s.: this would help a lot, because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buddhist
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to backup files.

Hi guys , I m writing a script which will backup a particular folder and its content to a different location. this script needs to be run every weekend. But my problem is how would i apply logic such that the previous backup folder is only deleted if and only if the current backup is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup Files

Hi, Using the shell script, how can I backup the files. /etc/password, /etc/group , /etc/shadow and more and needs a backup like /etc/password.12Mar12.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies

9. AIX

How to backup a directory (sub-directories/files) files from one server on to other ?

Hello, Server A: /directory1/ Server B: /Backups/ i wanted to backup contents of /directory1 from "server A" on to "Server B" every 1 hour. If there is any change in (only new/differences) contents on serverA (directory1/) supposed to be backeup on next run. I did used rsync command to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup files cleanup

Hello, I've been able to keep a certain number of backup files with the find -mtime command, but is there a way to add the last 4 Sunday's or any other day? I checked the man page and forums, but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramsez
8 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode - encode a binary file uudecode - decode a file created by uuencode SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [ file ] name uudecode [-o outfile] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
Uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. Uuencode reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output. The encoding uses only print- ing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand name for use by uudecode. If name is /dev/stdout the result will be written to standard output. By default the standard UU encoding format will be used. If the option -m is given on the command line base64 encoding is used instead. Uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named name (or out- file if the -o option is given) and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained. If out- file or name is /dev/stdout the result will be written to standard output. Uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. The program can automatically decide which of the both supported encoding schemes are used. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
This implementation is compliant with P1003.2b/D11. BUGS
If more than one file is given to uudecode and the -o option is given or more than one name in the encoded files are the same the result is probably not what is expected. The encoded form of the file is expanded by 37% for UU encoding and by 35% for base64 encoding (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). HISTORY
The uuencode command appeared in BSD 4.0. uuencode(1)