Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HMC in VmWare NIC sl0 issue.
Operating Systems AIX HMC in VmWare NIC sl0 issue. Post 302950605 by MichaelFelt on Monday 27th of July 2015 05:42:41 AM
Old 07-27-2015
Depending on the POWER system you are trying to manage (nothing older than POWER6!) your problems may have to do with:
a) the age of the HMC code you are trying to run in VMware environment - Now I'm working on the HMC 7.3.3.0 ServPack:0 base_version:20080402.1
b) HMC code (of that era) has no support from IBM for working under VMware. If it works - you are a lucky person.

So, please verify the systems you are trying to manage are old enough AND their firmware is old enough (the proper steps for updating firmware still has "Update HMC" as step #1)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Issue between Linux and RedHat (both on VMWare)

Hi All My first post so I hope it's ok. I have VMware workstation 5.0.0 build-13124 on an XP professional box. Within the VMware environment I have two virtual systems. The first is a Red Hat Linux (3.2.2-5) box and the second is an XP Home (sp2) box. When setting up both virtual boxes I set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: The_Lo_King
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Can not detect NIC on Sun 9 in VMware

Dear All, I had install SUn 9/05 on vmware workstation 6.5.0. Before install I see OS detect NIC, but after install I don't see any NIC. I have attack some picture to show my problem. Could someone have experience to help me resolve. I'm newbee in this unix eviroment. Thanks Hoavn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoavn
2 Replies

3. AIX

CDROM Issue on LPAR HMC VIO

Whenever I assign/unassign a CDROM ( RAID CTRL ) to Active LPAR from HMC, I have to reboot the LPAR. How can I do it without rebooting the LPARS. POWER6 with HMC LPARS = AIX 6.1 Any info developerWorks : AIX and UNIX : PowerVM Forum : Moving CD-ROM/DVD-ROM dynamically ... But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

4. SCO

VMware and SCO Unixware 7.1.4 Network issue

I am haveing a problem with my VMware ESXi 4.1 server and a virtual SCO UnixWare 7.1.4 server that I need for a legacy application for my company. The problem seems simple but I can't find a solution. The UnixWare (UW) server is a clean install and patched as SCO recommends. I am able to telnet to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DudeCrush
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX and HMC installation issue

I started the AIX install with a fiber channel disk, and let it run: restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp. . . . . . << End of copyright notice for perfagent.tools >>. . . . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gideon1a
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Resolution Issue Of RedHat Linux In VMWARE

Hi , I Have Installed Red Hat Linux 5 (Guest) In VMWARE And Host Is Windows The Screen Resolution Of Linux Is Less And How To Increase Resolution , When I Am Trying To Install VMWARE Tool It's Just Showing The Below Message Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

NIC card issue

Hi, Someone asked me the below. If the box has multiple NIC cards, try to run a test with interface address specified as shown below $ java utils.MulticastTest -N server100 -A 237.155.155.1 -i <interfaceaddress> How can I now find out if my box has multiple NIC cards and how can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Network issue on multinic. Unable to ping a host from One NIC but other works

Dear, I hope you all will be ok. I have an issue with Solaris box running on x86 Blade. I am unable to ping a node neither traceroute. I am able to do traceroute from oce0:6 port which have IP and subnet of same type which oce0:1 has. details are as follows: Problem: root@rinams02:/#... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaniqshahid
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Redhat 7.2 on vmware issue

I have Dell laptop having windows 8 vmware workstation 9 redhat 7.2 After installation it only get me into text mode instead f GUI Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
4 Replies

10. AIX

Power8 S812L:HMC issue and ...

Hi, I just bought POWER 8 ESERVER S812L from Ebay. There is no AIX on it. I am trying to install RedHat on this box But it does not recognize the hard drive and Ethernet card. I am very newbie with IBM ... please help or hints me please ... 1. can't access to HMC ports, thought it's... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
21 Replies
fwupgrade(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      fwupgrade(8)

NAME
fwupgrade - Updates the system firmware from a loadable firmware image (*.exe or *.sys) SYNOPSIS
/sbin/fwupgrade [-a] [-e] [-ignore] [-q] [-r] [-s] [-v] [-t CD-ROM_path] [-i path] /sbin/fwupgrade [-v] -f firmware_filename OPTIONS
Forces a firmware update without comparing the current firmware with the source firmware. Updates only if the current firmware is not equivalent to the source firmware. Specifies the path of the (*.exe or *.sys) firmware image. This is only used when you use a firmware image that is not on the distribution CD-ROM. For example, an image obtained from a web site download. You must ensure that the firmware image is the correct one for the target system, and verify that the image has the necessary support. This is indicated by bit1 and bit2 in the Flags column of the smmtable.txt file. Specifies the mount point of the target disk during an installation. This switch is to be used exclusively by the Tru64 UNIX install program. This switch suppresses error messages that are displayed if no firmware files are found on the distribution media, and causes the fwupgrade program to exit successfully. Does not upgrade the firmware, but displays information about the success of the desired operation. This enables you to to query fwupgrade to verify planned actions, such as ensuring whether the firmware really needs to be upgraded, or finding out if the target system supports a soft-reset. Resets the machine by software and reboots after the upgrade. The utility will exit with an error status if the system hardware does not support this feature. Sets silent mode, in which the firmware is upgraded without prompting you. If there is an error, the program also exits silently without prompting you. When this switch is used, you are not prompted for confirmation for the upgrade to proceed. Specifies the path of the mounted Firmware CD. If the -s option is not specified, you will be prompted to enter this path. Sets verbose mode, in which additional information is dis- played. DESCRIPTION
The fwupgrade command provides a means of updating the system firmware when a (*.exe or *.sys) loadable firmware update image is available. A firmware upgrade will shut down the system and require a full hardware reset. If the source firmware image does not support the loadable firmware update functionality, fwupgrade will exit with error status. The system must provide a SAVE_ENV callback that complies with the Alpha SRM. You can tell if the SAVE_ENV callback exists by executing the command: # consvar -a The SAVE_ENV is supported on the target system if the following message is displayed: Console environment variables saved If the SAVE_ENV is not supported on the target system, the following message is displayed: Failed to save environment variables Your programs can either check the return status of consvar -a or the return status of: setsysinfo(SSI_PROM_SAVE_ENV,...). See the setsysinfo(2) reference page for more information. EXIT STATUS
If you confirm that the firmware is to be upgraded, and no errors occur setting up the upgrade process, then fwupgrade will reboot the sys- tem rather than exit. An exception is that there is no reboot performed when the -i option is used. Instead, a status of 0 is returned. If you query whether the process would be successful, or if an upgrade request fails, the exit values are: Success. Firmware is adequate and supported. Failure. Firmware is not supported. Firmware needs to updated (when queried). EXAMPLES
To find out all information about your current firmware, platform, and the source firmware: # /sbin/fwupgrade -v -q Current Firmware: 4.10-0 Platform: 17-2-1091 Unable to open smmtable.txt at '/'. What is the mount point for the firmware CD? /mnt Firmware CD Version: 4.0 Distribution Firmware: 4.10-0 LFU File: /dev/rz2a at alpha1000/as1000_e4_v4_8.exe LFU Support: Y Soft Reset: Y System Firmware does not need to be upgraded To upgrade the firmware: # ./fwupgrade -t /mnt Current Firmware: 4.7-0 Are you sure that you wish to update the system firmware from 4.7-0 to 4.10-0?(yes/no)yes fwupgrade:Rebooting to update the system firmware... Terminated # syncing disks... done rebooting.... (transferring to monitor) FILES
The loadable firmware update images provided by Compaq. Typically, these are distributed on a firmware CD-ROM. If you obtain firmware images from a source other than the firmware CD-ROM (such as a www server) you should verify that they are the correct images for the tar- get system. A file provided with the firmware CD-ROM, used to determine the presence of the firmware CD-ROM and information about source firmware. SEE ALSO
Commands: consvar(8) Functions: setsysinfo(2) fwupgrade(8)