Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HMC in VmWare NIC sl0 issue.
Operating Systems AIX HMC in VmWare NIC sl0 issue. Post 302950605 by MichaelFelt on Monday 27th of July 2015 05:42:41 AM
Old 07-27-2015
Depending on the POWER system you are trying to manage (nothing older than POWER6!) your problems may have to do with:
a) the age of the HMC code you are trying to run in VMware environment - Now I'm working on the HMC 7.3.3.0 ServPack:0 base_version:20080402.1
b) HMC code (of that era) has no support from IBM for working under VMware. If it works - you are a lucky person.

So, please verify the systems you are trying to manage are old enough AND their firmware is old enough (the proper steps for updating firmware still has "Update HMC" as step #1)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Issue between Linux and RedHat (both on VMWare)

Hi All My first post so I hope it's ok. I have VMware workstation 5.0.0 build-13124 on an XP professional box. Within the VMware environment I have two virtual systems. The first is a Red Hat Linux (3.2.2-5) box and the second is an XP Home (sp2) box. When setting up both virtual boxes I set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: The_Lo_King
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Can not detect NIC on Sun 9 in VMware

Dear All, I had install SUn 9/05 on vmware workstation 6.5.0. Before install I see OS detect NIC, but after install I don't see any NIC. I have attack some picture to show my problem. Could someone have experience to help me resolve. I'm newbee in this unix eviroment. Thanks Hoavn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoavn
2 Replies

3. AIX

CDROM Issue on LPAR HMC VIO

Whenever I assign/unassign a CDROM ( RAID CTRL ) to Active LPAR from HMC, I have to reboot the LPAR. How can I do it without rebooting the LPARS. POWER6 with HMC LPARS = AIX 6.1 Any info developerWorks : AIX and UNIX : PowerVM Forum : Moving CD-ROM/DVD-ROM dynamically ... But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

4. SCO

VMware and SCO Unixware 7.1.4 Network issue

I am haveing a problem with my VMware ESXi 4.1 server and a virtual SCO UnixWare 7.1.4 server that I need for a legacy application for my company. The problem seems simple but I can't find a solution. The UnixWare (UW) server is a clean install and patched as SCO recommends. I am able to telnet to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DudeCrush
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX and HMC installation issue

I started the AIX install with a fiber channel disk, and let it run: restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp. . . . . . << End of copyright notice for perfagent.tools >>. . . . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gideon1a
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Resolution Issue Of RedHat Linux In VMWARE

Hi , I Have Installed Red Hat Linux 5 (Guest) In VMWARE And Host Is Windows The Screen Resolution Of Linux Is Less And How To Increase Resolution , When I Am Trying To Install VMWARE Tool It's Just Showing The Below Message Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

NIC card issue

Hi, Someone asked me the below. If the box has multiple NIC cards, try to run a test with interface address specified as shown below $ java utils.MulticastTest -N server100 -A 237.155.155.1 -i <interfaceaddress> How can I now find out if my box has multiple NIC cards and how can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Network issue on multinic. Unable to ping a host from One NIC but other works

Dear, I hope you all will be ok. I have an issue with Solaris box running on x86 Blade. I am unable to ping a node neither traceroute. I am able to do traceroute from oce0:6 port which have IP and subnet of same type which oce0:1 has. details are as follows: Problem: root@rinams02:/#... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaniqshahid
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Redhat 7.2 on vmware issue

I have Dell laptop having windows 8 vmware workstation 9 redhat 7.2 After installation it only get me into text mode instead f GUI Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
4 Replies

10. AIX

Power8 S812L:HMC issue and ...

Hi, I just bought POWER 8 ESERVER S812L from Ebay. There is no AIX on it. I am trying to install RedHat on this box But it does not recognize the hard drive and Ethernet card. I am very newbie with IBM ... please help or hints me please ... 1. can't access to HMC ports, thought it's... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
21 Replies
FENCE_AGENT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    FENCE_AGENT(8)

NAME
fence_lpar - Fence agent for IBM LPAR DESCRIPTION
fence_lpar accepts options on the command line as well as from stdin. Fenced sends parameters through stdin when it execs the agent. fence_lpar can be run by itself with command line options. This is useful for testing and for turning outlets on or off from scripts. PARAMETERS
-o, --action=<action> Fencing Action (Default Value: reboot) -a, --ip=<ip> IP Address or Hostname This parameter is always required. -l, --username=<name> Login Name This parameter is always required. -p, --password=<password> Login password or passphrase -S, --password-script=<script> Script to retrieve password -x, --ssh SSH connection (Default Value: 1) -k, --identity-file=<filename> Identity file for ssh -n <id> Name of the partition Partition name -s <id> Name of the managed system Managed system name -H, --hmc-version=<version> Force HMC version to use (3 or 4) (Default Value: 4) -c, --command-prompt=<prompt> Force command prompt (Default Value: [':~>', ']$', '$ ']) -4, --inet4-only Forces agent to use IPv4 addresses only -6, --inet6-only Forces agent to use IPv6 addresses only -u, --ipport=<port> TCP port to use for connection with device -v, --verbose Verbose mode -D, --debug-file=<debugfile> Write debug information to given file -V, --version Display version information and exit -h, --help Display help and exit -C, --separator=<char> Separator for CSV created by operation list (Default Value: ,) --power-timeout Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF (Default Value: 20) --shell-timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command (Default Value: 3) --login-timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login (Default Value: 15) --power-wait Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF (Default Value: 0) --delay Wait X seconds before fencing is started (Default Value: 0) --retry-on Count of attempts to retry power on (Default Value: 1) ACTIONS
on Power on machine. off Power off machine. reboot Reboot machine. status This returns the status of the plug/virtual machine. list List available plugs with aliases/virtual machines if there is support for more then one device. Returns N/A otherwise. monitor Check if fencing device is running. List available plugs/virtual machines or get status of machine (if it does not support more). metadata The operational behavior of this is not known. STDIN PARAMETERS
action Fencing Action (Default Value: reboot) ipaddr IP Address or Hostname This parameter is always required. login Login Name This parameter is always required. passwd Login password or passphrase passwd_script Script to retrieve password secure SSH connection (Default Value: 1) identity_file Identity file for ssh partition Partition name managed Managed system name hmc_version Force HMC version to use (3 or 4) (Default Value: 4) cmd_prompt Force command prompt (Default Value: [':~>', ']$', '$ ']) inet4_only Forces agent to use IPv4 addresses only inet6_only Forces agent to use IPv6 addresses only ipport TCP port to use for connection with device verbose Verbose mode debug Write debug information to given file version Display version information and exit help Display help and exit separator Separator for CSV created by operation list (Default Value: ,) power_timeout Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF (Default Value: 20) shell_timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command (Default Value: 3) login_timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login (Default Value: 15) power_wait Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF (Default Value: 0) delay Wait X seconds before fencing is started (Default Value: 0) retry_on Count of attempts to retry power on (Default Value: 1) fence_lpar (Fence Agent) 2009-10-20 FENCE_AGENT(8)