Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How do we check the Linux machine OS? Post 302950437 by govindts on Friday 24th of July 2015 12:59:40 PM
Old 07-24-2015
How do we check the Linux machine OS?

I have IBM Z-Linux machine as well as RedHat Linux.

Where do I see that the particular machine is z-Linux?

below output from zlinux.
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux  xxxxxxxHostname 2.6.18-406.el5 #1 SMP Fri May 1 10:42:26 EDT 2015 s390x s390x s390x GNU/Linux

below output from redhat.
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux xxxxxxxHostname 2.6.32-504.16.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 10 17:01:00 EDT 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I see only difference is s390x s390x s390x . But this does not say that it is z-Linux. Can you please help me where to find the z-Linux info?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags - thanks

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 07-24-2015 at 05:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for a file on a remote machine

Hi, Can someone tell me how to check if a file exists on a remote machine using rexec command?I'm using ksh. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH into a linux machine from a windows machine

I basically want to login into different linux machines( on the same network) from a windows machine. I know i can use ssh <machine name>. But i want to automate this process. I dont want to enter the username and password. Is there any way to do it. Can i make some sort of a batch script for it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
4 Replies

3. Programming

Check if user logged into remote machine via C++ / Java

Hi, I have a program running on HP-UX and it must checkwhether a user has already logged-in to another machine. The hostname of the other machine is known when the check has to be made. Is there a way which this can be accomplished using C++ or Java? If not I could parse the output of a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmmcparland
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for file existence on remote machine using sftp

Hi all, I am a beginner to shell script.Can any one please help me on the below requirement I need to check whether the file (called 3Com_Files_Delivered.txt) exists on the remote mechaine or not? if so i need to copy all the files from there to my local mechaine.Especially i am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: narasimha123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file exists on remote machine.

I am haveing one script haveing one issue with this could any one can reply soon it is very urgent. :p if ssh hcp_ftp@$1 'ls '$2/stop.txt' 1>&2 2>/dev/null'; then exit 1; else scp -p hcp_ftp@$1:$2/VAT*.dat $3 <<EOF EOF cd $3 pwd echo 'About to find file' SOURCE_FILE=$(ls -rt VAT*.dat|tail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marpadga18
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a requirement to check whose accounts are expired in Linux machine and send a mail to root

I have a requirement to check whose accounts are expired in Linux machine and send a mail to root user about the accounts. How can i achieve this in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check number of threads running per processor in Linux machine?

I have a machine which has 32 processor but i am really not sure how many threads are running. It has hyperthreading enabled. Is there a way i can find that all 32 processors are being used and how many threads are there in my linux box. Its a 64 bit processor. I am having very high load average... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control machine and check value

I'm thinking how to control and execute command to control my machine like update them, scenario is creating a cron in machine 1 machine 2 machine 3 which download .txt file from core machine, this txt file contain update function like: kernel=1 yum=0 ssl=1 and store this file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check everything are migrated after the physical to vmware virtual machine?

I have a physical machine , just use vmware tools migrated data to virtual machine . how can I check these two servers - old and new server , the data are the same , all files are copy to new server ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
2 Replies
MACHINE-ID(5)							    machine-id							     MACHINE-ID(5)

NAME
machine-id - Local machine ID configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/machine-id DESCRIPTION
The /etc/machine-id file contains the unique machine ID of the local system that is set during installation. The machine ID is a single newline-terminated, hexadecimal, 32-character, lowercase machine ID string. When decoded from hexadecimal, this corresponds with a 16-byte/128-bit string. The machine ID is usually generated from a random source during system installation and stays constant for all subsequent boots. Optionally, for stateless systems, it is generated during runtime at boot if it is found to be empty. The machine ID does not change based on user configuration or when hardware is replaced. This machine ID adheres to the same format and logic as the D-Bus machine ID. Programs may use this ID to identify the host with a globally unique ID in the network, which does not change even if the local network configuration changes. Due to this and its greater length, it is a more useful replacement for the gethostid(3) call that POSIX specifies. The systemd-machine-id-setup(1) tool may be used by installer tools to initialize the machine ID at install time. RELATION TO OSF UUIDS
Note that the machine ID historically is not an OSF UUID as defined by RFC 4122[1], nor a Microsoft GUID; however, starting with systemd v30, newly generated machine IDs do qualify as v4 UUIDs. In order to maintain compatibility with existing installations, an application requiring a UUID should decode the machine ID, and then apply the following operations to turn it into a valid OSF v4 UUID. With "id" being an unsigned character array: /* Set UUID version to 4 --- truly random generation */ id[6] = (id[6] & 0x0F) | 0x40; /* Set the UUID variant to DCE */ id[8] = (id[8] & 0x3F) | 0x80; (This code is inspired by "generate_random_uuid()" of drivers/char/random.c from the Linux kernel sources.) HISTORY
The simple configuration file format of /etc/machine-id originates in the /var/lib/dbus/machine-id file introduced by D-Bus. In fact, this latter file might be a symlink to /etc/machine-id. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), gethostid(3), hostname(5), machine-info(5), os-release(5), sd-id128(3), sd_id128_get_machine(3) NOTES
1. RFC 4122 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4122 systemd 208 MACHINE-ID(5)