Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help of counting no of column of a file Post 302950385 by STCET22 on Friday 24th of July 2015 06:08:49 AM
Old 07-24-2015
Hi RudiC ,

Thanks a lot for your help.I am not very much familiar with awk part.If you kindly explain the below block of code ,that will be really helpful for my understanding.Thanks.

Code:
awk 'NF>1{CNT++} END {print CNT}' file

RavinderSingh13 ,

After executing the below code ,I m getting result as below.But I dont need row no 1 in my result.Kindly check this and if possble pls explain me for my understanding.Thnks.
Code:
Column_Number Column_Name
1 Target_RECRD_layout
2 ABC_ID
3 ABC_COUNTRY
4 FILLER1
5 ABC_SOURCE
6 ABC_SOURCE_NUM
7 FILLER2
8 ABC_CODE
9 ABC_CODE_ALPHA
10 ABC_DATA
11 ABC_DATA_ALPHA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting lines containing two column field values with awk

Hello everybody, I'm trying to count the number of consecutive lines in a text file which have two distinctive column field values. These lines may appear in several line blocks within the file, but I only want a single block to be counted. This was my first approach to tackle the problem (I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collapsing and counting by key column in a sorted file

Hi I have a tab separated file with reads mappings of more than 2 million reads> the file is sorted by ID and looks like the following: SeqID Seq FreqSeq PosSeq HWI-EA332_0036:5:100:10131:16361#ATGC/1 GACTTGAGGTCTCCCCCGCA 1 TZRTMR_40497:317:+... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramouz87
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurences in column

Hi guys! I have a problem writing script that would convert this input into this output: I have an awk script that counts occurences of a sign in a column, but don't know how to change it so that I would give me desired output. script awk '{count++}END{for(j in count)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grincz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk in counting characters based on a column

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file as follows with 2172 rows and 44707 columns. ABO and GPO are the names of my populations. ABO_1 1 2 ABO_1 1 2 ABO_2 1 1 ABO_2 1 2 GPO_1 1 1 GPO_1 2 2 GPO_2 1 0 GPO_2 2 0I want to count the number of 1s and 2s in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting no of spl character occurance column wise

Hi i have a file delimited with ","as below and i need to handle scenario like col1,col2 fields have special character '|', i need count of special character value column wise as given in col3 and col4. pls help me to reslove this. Source file name,col1,col2,col3,col4 one,2,3 two,2|3,2|3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting specific column and add result in output

Hi all, I have a quick question: I have a 4 column tab-separated file. I want to count the number of times each unique value in column 2 appears and add that number in a 5th column. I have the following input file: waterline-n below-sheath-v 14.8097 A dock-n below-sheath-v ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of element in each column

Hello, I have a file as follows: ENSGALG00000000189 ENSGALG00000000189 ENSGALG00000000189 ENSGALG00000000215 ENSGALG00000000215 ENSGALG00000000218 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting a consecutive number in column 2

Hi, I have a input file which contains following data 0 1 0 2 0 3 0 4 0 8 0 9 0 11 1 1 1 2 1 6 1 7 1 8 1 9 2 1 2 11 2 12 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan Kim
12 Replies
DB2_FIELD_WIDTH(3)							 1							DB2_FIELD_WIDTH(3)

db2_field_width - Returns the width of the current value of the indicated column in a result set

SYNOPSIS
int db2_field_width (resource $stmt, mixed $column) DESCRIPTION
Returns the width of the current value of the indicated column in a result set. This is the maximum width of the column for a fixed-length data type, or the actual width of the column for a variable-length data type. PARAMETERS
o $stmt - Specifies a statement resource containing a result set. o $column - Specifies the column in the result set. This can either be an integer representing the 0-indexed position of the column, or a string containing the name of the column. RETURN VALUES
Returns an integer containing the width of the specified character or binary data type column in a result set. If the specified column does not exist in the result set, db2_field_width(3) returns FALSE. SEE ALSO
db2_field_display_size(3), db2_field_name(3), db2_field_num(3), db2_field_precision(3), db2_field_scale(3), db2_field_type(3). PHP Documentation Group DB2_FIELD_WIDTH(3)