Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to extend disk space?
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to extend disk space? Post 302950363 by fpmurphy on Friday 24th of July 2015 02:06:07 AM
Old 07-24-2015
You may be able to grow /dev/sda3 if you left unused disk space at the end of the /dev/sda3 partition.

A better option would be to rebuild your RHEL VM, use LVM and place /var on a separate logical volume and filesystem. With your current disk layout and filesystems, the root filesystem will always be prone to filling up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk space

Can someone tell me how to determine how much disk space has been allocated to me and how much of it I am using? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

how to extend a vg on the same disk

on the disk array (EMC Clariion cx300): we added 3 disk and extended the LUN corresponding to HP-9000 (rp7410) on HP-UX 11.11: diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c10t0d0, show more disk space, but vgdisplay vg13 does not show more space So the problem is the disk had increased, but vgdisplay does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedro_lezaeta
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

Disk Space

Hi Experts. I had 100% disk full , even though i have removed 2 GB space still dbf command shows 100%. How to rectify that. Appreciate your prompt help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: test10002
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much disk space?

Hi, I have this : uname -a Linux servername 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 23 15:57:10 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux df -k Sys. de fich. 1K-blocs Occupied Disponible Capacity Monted on /u01/applis 10321208 3190160 6606760 33% /applis Does it mean... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Disk Space

I know there are other threads but they have not helped. My server is running low on disk space and I haven't been able to re-allocate. I think my solaris machine is missing tools or the way it was originally setup, may not have the right pathing. $ df -k Filesystem kbytes used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnxjenn
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Is it possible to extend a extended partition raw space in harddisk thru rhel 6

hi all, As going thru LVM concepts in rhel 6, got hit with a question about "how to use the raw partition of an harddisk which extended volume is taken a bit" please find the attached diagram... is it possible to use this raw space with previously created extended partition without data... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
13 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris x86 extend disk

hi all! i extend disk on SPARC solaris without problems, but with x86 Solaris 10 i have some troubles . Help pls iostat show me updated disk size, but in format i can't choose Auto configure options to use modified slice # iostat -E c0d1 cmdk1 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijj
4 Replies

9. AIX

VIOS: Extend virtual disk assigned to running lpar?

Hello, VIOS 2.2.1.4 using IVM. I'm trying to extend a virtual disk assigned to a running lpar so that I can expand the lpar's datavg and grow some filesystems for the user. Storage admin expanded the lun and new size was reflected in VIO right away. I then needed the storage pool to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extend a disk in veritas volume manager in veritas cluster?

Hi Experts, I wanted to extend a veritas file system which is running on veritas cluster and mounted on node2 system. #hastatus -sum -- System State Frozen A node1 running 0 A node2 running 0 -- Group State -- Group System Probed ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skmanojkum
1 Replies
VGSCAN(8)                                                     System Manager's Manual                                                    VGSCAN(8)

NAME
vgscan - scan all disks for volume groups and rebuild caches SYNOPSIS
vgscan [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--mknodes] [-P|--partial] [-v|--verbose] DESCRIPTION
vgscan scans all SCSI, (E)IDE disks, multiple devices and a bunch of other disk devices in the system looking for LVM physical volumes and volume groups. Define a filter in lvm.conf(5) to restrict the scan to avoid a CD ROM, for example. In LVM2, vgscans take place automatically; but you might still need to run one explicitly after changing hardware. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --mknodes Also checks the LVM special files in /dev that are needed for active logical volumes and creates any missing ones and removes unused ones. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGSCAN(8)