Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Alternatives to GNU Make for users of newer OS X Post 302950164 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 21st of July 2015 07:45:17 PM
Old 07-21-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrix
I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. I already have gcc, make, etc. installed on my machine, and have added their directory to $PATH in my startup script. However, when I run gcc, it tells me certain libraries are missing. I can't link C libraries except through XCode. Will downloading the developer tools change this?
You originally said:
Quote:
This means that open source software that is distributed as source is inaccessible to users of newer versions of Mac OS X, because we can't use gcc or make to compile it.
Now you're saying gcc and make work just fine, but don't magically download open source libraries needed by the open source software you downloaded from a 3rd party site. When you're downloading open source software, you also have to download, build, and install the open source libraries upon which it depends.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with gnu make

I am running a make file through the gnu make tool and i am getting the following error jsh1035c:/users/egate453/admegate/kapil/samples $ make -f GNUmakefile queue_c make -f ./GNUmakefile queue_c in_objdir=1 build_root=/users/egate453/admegate/kapil/samples make: Entering directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU's make error codes - list

Hi, I often encounter make errors. Many a times, a corresponding error code is also shown, like make: Error 56 (ignored) make: Error 91 (ignored) make: Error 96 (ignored) et al. I tried google'ing as well as searching this forum for what these error codes mean. I know, make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between PMake and GNU Make?

My system is ubuntu, can I use PMake ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
0 Replies

4. Programming

Detecting host OS in Gnu make

Is this possible? Right now I'm developing some code for Linux, Windows and OS X. To build on each of the systems I've currently got separate build targets for each platform. Ideally I'd like to set up a single make rule that can detect the appropriate target and build it. I know this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G_Morgan
2 Replies

5. SCO

GNU cpp and make on SCO

Installed GNU make and the GNU C/C++ compiler on SCO Openserver 5.0.7 recently. Only a normal user is able to run make and compile programs - root is not able to. Under root, make do run, but root can't access the compiler at all, even tho I set root's path to point to the compiler.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Librarian
0 Replies

6. Programming

A question about Makefile run by GNU make

Hello everybody, Currently I'm learning how to build projects (C programming) with GNU make. I have a problem with one Makefile and I would appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand. Here is the environment: OS: Redhat linux 5 compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

7. AIX

gnu make fir AIX 5.3 and gcc 3.3.2

Hi all i had installed gcc version 3.3.2 on my AIX 5.3 machine. which make utility i have to instal so it will fit the gcc version tnx skfn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skfn1203
2 Replies

8. AIX

Not picking up the GNU version of make

Hi team, I am new to unix,and need your advice on the below. I am using aix5.3 and have installed make-3.82 on the server. I need to use gmake for configuring and installing a package ,but it is giving error at the below root@sapsrp:/usr/tmp/xymon-4.3.2 # ./configure.server ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonal kumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU make doesn't pick up changes

It's been a while since I had to write a Makefile, but I've managed to clobber this together: SRC=module1.c module2.c OBJS=$(SRC:%.c=%.o) HDR=include1.h include2.h CC=gcc CFLAGS=-Wall -ggdb -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -I. -ansi all: program program: $(OBJS) $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJS) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

extension building make GNU Linux

Hi, I do "touch poub.mlc" Download my Makefile, But when I try : make -f Makefile.txt(.txt in order my file to be accepted for upload), it says:"no rule for poub.mlo target" What is wrong in my Makefile(test yourself please before posting)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: synhedionn
1 Replies
FORT77(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 FORT77(1)

NAME
fort77 - invoke f2c Fortran translator transparently, like a compiler SYNOPSIS
fort77 [-c] [-g] [-v] [-k] [-P] [-cpp] [f2c option ...] [-L directory ...] [gcc-option ...] [link option ...] [-O optlevel] [-o out- file] [-s] [-w] [-Wx,arg1[,arg2]...] file ... DESCRIPTION
The fort77 script invokes the f2c command transparently, so it can be used like a real Fortran compiler. It can be used to compile For- tran, C and assembler code, and to link it with the f2c libraries. File arguments ending with .f are compiled as Fortran source files. Files which end with .P are passed through to f2c, and files ending with .F are passed to the C preprocessor (invoked as "/lib/cpp -traditional") first. Any switches passed via -D will be passed to the pre- processor. If the translation is successful, the resulting C files will be passed to cc for translation into an object file. Files ending in .c, .C, .cc, .i, .s, .S, .m, .cc or .cxx are passed to the GNU C compiler directly; see gcc(1). All other files are passed to the linker. OPTIONS
-c Supress linking and produce an object ( .o ) file from each source file. -g Include debugging information. -v Be verbose; supplying this twice will also tell the C compilers etc to be verbose. -k Keep the C files generated by f2c around. -cpp Pass Fortran code through the C preprocessor, as if filenames ended in .F. -P Generate f2c .P files. -Ldirectory Include directory in the search for libraries in the final linking stage. -o outfile Send output to outfile. -trapuv Have f2c generate code to trap uninitialized values. -Wx,arg1[,arg2...] Pass the argument[s] argi through to the subprocess x, where x can assume one of the following values: f for the f2c step, p for the preprocessing step, c for the C compiler, a for the assembler (this is actually passed to the C compiler, too), and l for the linker. As an example, defining a preprocessor constant for the C compilation step would be done with -Wc,-DUNIX=1. Specifying the -f option to f2c would be done via -Wf,-f. f2c option fort77 passes through almost all f2c options: -C, -U, -u, -a, -E, -h, -P, -R, -r, -z, -I2, -I4, -onetrip, -!c, -!l, -!P, -!R, -ext, -!bs, -W[n], -trapuv, -w8, -r8 and -w66. gcc options The following options are passed through to gcc: -f*, -W*, -U*, -A*, -m*, -S, -E, -v, -x, -pipe, -o, -I, -V, -b*, -p, -pg. linker option The options passed to the linking stage are -static, -shared, -v, -V, and -symbolic. BUGS
To make debugging work, you need to set a breakpoint at MAIN__ before you start. f2c This script automatically supplies the -I. option to f2c. Older versions of f2c may not support this. This script is for the interaction of gcc and f2c; using it with another compiler will probably require modification. The fort77 script does not strictly conform to Posix.2, because it acceppts long options with one leading slash. This is done for gcc com- patibility. SEE ALSO
f2c(1), cc(1), as(1), ld(1) AUTHOR
Thomas Koenig, ig25@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de Linux Nov 1996 FORT77(1)