Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with I/O redirection via exec Post 302950157 by Clovis_Sangrail on Tuesday 21st of July 2015 04:48:32 PM
Old 07-21-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Please be aware that
Code:
exec 2>&1 > $RPTF                       # Capture std output and stderr

does NOT capture std output and stderr. It duplicates stderr from (the old) stdout , and then redirects stdout to $RPTF. So stderr still points to (presumably) /dev/tty (or so) and eventually prints to it.
You're right, I keep writing that backwards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help with redirection

Here is my problem. I don't know make this redirection thing work. The output file (called output.c) looks like this #include<stdio.h> int main() { int k; int m; print f("%d\n", k); printf("%d\n", m); return 0; } the input file(called input.c) is this #include<stdio.h> int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shallon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection to exec does not work

Hello Experts, I am on Solaris 10 Due to some limitations in one of the vendor software, I am forced to output the command to exec and then run it from there. For example.. $(echo "/usr/bin/cp a.dat b.dat") # This works However, $(echo "/usr/bin/cat a.dat > c.dat") # This does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gokul Kumar G
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double redirection

Hi to all. It's possible with a single line redirect to stdout and to a file a echoed string? I need something like this: echo "Pizza" >/tmp/file (and same time print to stout "Pizza")... What can i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mendez
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/O redirection

Hello everyone,I'm reading a book and there's code fragment: exec 3>&1 ls -l 2>&1 >&3 3>&- | grep bad 3>&- exec 3>&- It says that the red part of that code does not close fd 3 but the green does close the fd 3.I can't understand that.....Why?Any predicate will be appreciated.:) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection

Hello All, I am using the below script to gather various tools running by the user, we have more than 100 tools running on the server so my challenge is to redirect memory & cpu load to the file with the name of the tool.so am using the below script i am stucking how to redirect to the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Several exec on find send all the output to the last redirection

Example script: find mydir -type f -exec echo {}>aaa \; -exec echo {}>bbb \;The two paths go the the bbb file, while there should be one of them on each file. How should I do it to get it working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies
FD(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     FD(4)

NAME
fd, stdin, stdout, stderr -- file descriptor files DESCRIPTION
The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. Opening the files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
By default, /dev/fd is provided by devfs(5), which provides nodes for the first three file descriptors. Some sites may require nodes for additional file descriptors; these can be made available by mounting fdescfs(5) on /dev/fd. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr SEE ALSO
tty(4), devfs(5), fdescfs(5) BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD