Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Size of compressed file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Size of compressed file Post 302950118 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 21st of July 2015 07:03:31 AM
Old 07-21-2015
Depending on the tool used for compression, the above may do it, but you may also need to consider:-
Code:
zcat file.Z | wc

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming a compressed file to filename without .Z

In a shell script I would like to use a compressed file name, i.e. with suffix of .Z, as a file input $1. After the file in uncompressed, I would like to use the file name without the .Z . How do I do this? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruceps
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file compressed or not

Is there a way I can check if a file is comppressed or not? (Be it tar/gzip or compress). trying to write a generic housekeeping scrit that will delete files over 6 months old and compress any uncompressed files if less than 6 months old. But not sure if there is a clever way to check except for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search first line of compressed file

I want to read a directory full of compressed files and move the file to another directory if it meets certain criteria. I only want to look at the first line of the compressed file and if I find the string, do the move. I am currently using the following: zgrep -R -L... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiner
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is it possible to see the content of the compressed file?

How we can view the content of the file,if it compressed (or) Zipped ,without uncompress ? I have one file ,i compressed it,without uncompressing the file.Is it possible to see the content of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressed file

I compressed a file by using gzip command gzip <<xx>> filename changed to xx.gz How to view this xx.gz file. Any idea. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all tar and compressed file

Hi, I'm trying to find all tar and compressed files (say gzip). I'm having to assume that the tar and gzip files may or may not have the correct extension (.tar .gz .tgz etc). Any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process a compressed file

Hi i have a filename.tar.bz2 and i have to parse it with a tool that doesn't support compressed files. I have to do it for many big files, so i can't decompress and then process. I'd like to do something like: tar -jxvf namefile.tar.bz2 | parsing_tool i mean analyze it directly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

compressed file

i have a file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 when i do file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 the ouput is below 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292: gzip compressed data - deflate method and i run this command gunzip -c 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 | awk '{gsub("\"","")}/I_ACCOUNT_ID/{print $2}' RS=":|;" FS="," i get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to find the compressed size of a file without compressing it in linux

i need to backup a directory from one partition to another and and compress that directory after backing up, so i need to predict the compressed size of the directory with out actually compressing it, to check whether the space is available in the destination partition to accommodate the zipped... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding file to compressed tarfile

Hello all, I would like to add a file to a compressed (gzip) tarfile. Normally it won't be a Problem, if I would do it in several steps. But I do not want to have unnecessary files. So, in words: unzip the tarfile add a new file zip the tarfile What I tried: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)