Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to add missing value?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add missing value? Post 302949889 by neutronscott on Friday 17th of July 2015 08:43:16 AM
Old 07-17-2015
That may be the most correct way but a quick way to get the same output is to just append the new value and the field separator inside of $1.

Code:
mute@tiny:~$ awk 'NF<5{$1=$1 FS "XXX"}1' FS=, OFS=, missedfield
aaa,XXX,bbb,ccc,fff
aaa,XXX,bbb,ccc,ddd
111,XXX,222,333,444
111,XXX,222,333,444

or iterating over the fields you'd have to first increase the field count and starting from the end work your way backwards moving them until $2 is now free to assign:

Code:
mute@tiny:~$ awk 'NF<5{NF++;for (i=NF;i>1;i--)$i=$(i-1);$2="XXX"}1' FS=, OFS=, missedfield
aaa,XXX,bbb,ccc,fff
aaa,XXX,bbb,ccc,ddd
111,XXX,222,333,444
111,XXX,222,333,444

the 1 at the end is shorthand for { print $0 } since the default action in awk is to print and 1 is always true.

Last edited by neutronscott; 07-17-2015 at 09:48 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need to add missing delimiters...

ladies, gents.. say i have a file that should have 10 fields... (9 delimiters) some records have 10 fields, some have 5 some have 8, etc.. nothing consistent, but i need my file to have 9 delimiters on each line, even if its null fields.. how can i go line by line and add the correct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: obarrett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing times

Not sure about the title if someone has a better name for it please lemme know and I will edit the title. I have several (10+ files) which look something like: File 1: 12/28/2009 04:0 8 12/28/2009 04:4 4 12/28/2009 05:0 4 . . . File 2: 12/28/2009 04:1 7 12/28/2009 04:2 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstrangfeld
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing linefeeds between formfeeds in reports

I need to take a report text file that is output from vendor software and there are some pages which have less then the normal amount of lines. I need to add these missing line feeds as there is a merge program that reads this file in fixed character and line mode template to output the final PDF... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnygren
6 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

merging files and add missing rows

hello all, I have files that have a specific way for naming the first column they are make of five names in Pattern of 3 Y = (no case sensitive) so the files are names $Y-$Y-$Y or $X-$Y-$Z depending how we look they only exist of the pattern exist now I want to create a file from them that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
9 Replies

5. Solaris

[solved]Config/enable_mapping missing, how to add?

Issue resolved by upgrading from solaris 11 to solaris 11.1 I would like to enable network mapping. While using instructions from: https://blogs.oracle.com/VDIpier/entry/solaris_11_changing_the_hostname To change my hostname I noticed I am missing the enable mapping bool. What it should... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: taltamir
0 Replies

6. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add word for a missing column

Hi team... I need some help/advise on adding a word for a missing column. I have a file as below. Rep N1 Forever Limited 2015 Rep N2 Limited 2016 since 2nd content is 3 lines missing one line so i need to make this like Rep N1 Forever (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee5
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add missing date and time in a bash script?

Hi Again, I have a file that contains date and time for the past 2 hours. What i need is add missing date and time in a file. INPUT 2016-01-13 01:33 10 2016-01-13 01:31 10 2016-01-13 01:30 10 2016-01-13 01:29 10 2016-01-13 01:28 10 2016-01-13 01:27 10 2016-01-13 01:26 10 2016-01-13... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ernesto
14 Replies
PMDAEVENTARRAY(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PMDAEVENTARRAY(3)

NAME
pmdaEventNewArray, pmdaEventResetArray, pmdaEventReleaseArray, pmdaEventAddRecord, pmdaEventAddMissedRecord, pmdaEventAddParam, pmdaEvent- GetAddr - utilities for PMDAs to build packed arrays of event records C SYNOPSIS
#include <pcp/pmapi.h> #include <pcp/impl.h> #include <pcp/pmda.h> int pmdaEventNewArray(void); int pmdaEventResetArray(int idx); int pmdaEventReleaseArray(int idx); int pmdaEventAddRecord(int idx, struct timeval *tp, int flags); int pmdaEventAddMissedRecord(int idx, struct timeval *tp, int nmissed); int pmdaEventAddParam(int idx, pmID pmid, int type, pmAtomValue *avp); pmEventArray *pmdaEventGetAddr(int idx); cc ... -lpcp DESCRIPTION
A Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) that wishes to export event records (or trace records) is encouraged to use a metric of type PM_TYPE_EVENT to encode a group of event records into a single packed array. The packed array of event records format is defined in <pcp/pmapi.h> and consists of a pmEventArray structure, containing a variable number of pmEventRecord structures, each of which contains a variable number of pmEventParameter structures, which in turn may contain a variable length value for each parameter of each event record. The routines described here are designed to assist the PMDA developer in building a packed array of event records, and managing all of the memory allocations required to hold each instance of an array of event records in a contiguous buffer. Normal use would be as part of PM- DA's pmdaFetchCallBack method. pmdaEventNewArray is used to create a new event array. The return value is a small integer that is used as the idx parameter to the other routines to identify a specific event array. If needed, a PMDA can create and use multiple event arrays. To start a new cycle and refill an event array from the beginning, call pmdaEventResetArray. If the PMDA has finished with an event array, pmdaEventReleaseArray may be used to release the underlying storage and ``close'' the event array so that subsequent attempts to use idx will return PM_ERR_NOCONTEXT. To start a new event record, use pmdaEventAddRecord. The timestamp for the event record is given via tp and the flags parameter may be used to set the control field that determines the type of the event record - flags may be the bit-wise ``or'' of one or more of the PM_EVENT_FLAG_* values defined in <pcp/pmapi.h> (but note that PM_EVENT_FLAG_MISSED should not be used in this context). If event records have been missed, either because the PMDA cannot keep up or because the PMAPI client cannot keep up, then pmdaEventAd- dMissedRecord may be used. idx and tp have the same meaning as for pmdaEventAddRecord and nmissed is the number of event records that have been missed at this point in the time-series of event records. pmdaEventAddMissedRecord may be called multiple times for a single batch of event records if there are more than one ``missed event record'' episode. Once an event record has been started by calling pmdaEventAddRecord, one or more event parameters may be added using pmdaEventAddParam. The pmid and type parameters decribe the PMID of the parameter and the data type (one of the PM_TYPE_* values from <pcp/pmapi.h>) of the value that is passed via avp. type should one where the size of the value is implied by the type or by the length of a string value (for PM_TYPE_STRING) or encoded within avp->vbp (for PM_TYPE_AGGREGATE). Once the packed array has been constructed, pmdaEventGetAddr should be used to initialize the ea_type and ea_len fields at the start of the pmEventArray and return the base address of the event array that is assigned to the vp field of the pmAtomValue structure that the pmdaFetchCallBack method should return. EXAMPLE
The following skeletal code shows how these routines might be used. int sts; int myarray; int first = 1; pmEventArray eap; if (first) { first = 0; if ((myarray = pmdaEventNewArray()) < 0) { // report error and fail } } pmdaEventResetArray(myarray); // loop over all event records to be exported ... { struct timeval stamp; int flags; // establish timestamp and set flags to 0 or some combination // of PM_EVENT_FLAG_POINT, PM_EVENT_FLAG_START, PM_EVENT_FLAG_ID, // etc if ((sts = pmdaEventAddRecord(myarray, &stamp, flags)) < 0) { // report error and fail } // loop over all parameters for this event record ... { pmID pmid; int type; pmAtomValue atom; // construct pmid, type and atom for the parameter and // its value if ((sts = pmdaEventAddParam(myarray, pmid, type, &atom)) < 0) { // report error and fail } } // if some event records were missed (could be at the start // of the exported set, or at the end, or in the middle, or // a combination of multiple missed record episodes) ... { int nmiss; struct timeval stamp; if ((sts = pmdaEventAddMissedRecord(myarray, &stamp, nmiss)) < 0) { // report error and fail } } } // finish up eap = pmdaEventGetAddr(myarray); SEE ALSO
pmdaEventNewQueue(3), pmdaEventNewClient(3), PMDA(3) and pmEventFlagsStr(3). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDAEVENTARRAY(3)