Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ownership changes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ownership changes Post 302949754 by Lace0047 on Wednesday 15th of July 2015 03:48:39 PM
Old 07-15-2015
Thank you for your reply.

My Windows server is the Server for NFS and the client is the Linux1 which has the Windows share mounted. Your instructions relates if the Windows server is the client. Can it still be done as a Windows being the NFS server?

---------- Post updated at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:38 PM ----------

Browsing the registry in Windows, I found the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerforNFS\CurrentVersion\Exports\0

Changing the RestrictChown from value 0 to 1 may do the trick. It will restrict any changes to the ownership but allowing changes to the NFS share. I'll need to reboot the server and see if it works.

I also had the problem that the rsync not only caused the change of ownership but wiped the permissions completely. It may fix that problem as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ownership of files

Hi, While changing ownerships from the root on a server i'm managing, i typed chown -R username:users * and it changed all ownership to username. Can someone tell me if there is someway I can set things back the way they were before? I can't even su username from the root. Am I going to just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szhu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help regarding file ownership

hi friends,i have a doubt,if there is a file for which i have only read access then is there any way to execute it,plz reply soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit007
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Filesystem ownership with zones

What I have" Solaris 10 U4, recently patched. ZFS filesystems on the global zone Local Zones on the zfs filesystems. If I make a new ZFS filesystem, and present it to a local zone, i.e. /u01. If I change the ownership of /u01 in the Local zone to oracle:dba /u01. The file becomes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

precompressing and ownership

I'm looking for a way to create preprocessed .gz files of static pages to serve up to those browsers that can accept them. I know I can use: gzip -c --best index.html > index.html.gz to create the .gz file _and_ keep the original. What's the proper command line way to run that on each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the cp keeps the original ownership?

I want to copy a file from another user to my owner directory, and want to change the ownership to my account. in jung's directory: -rwxr-xr-x 1 jung smart 23 Dec 1 2005 .runme cp /home/jung/runme . under my directory: -rwxr-xr-x 1 jung smart 23 Dec 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freelong
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing ownership?

how would i change ownership of file1 so the user NATE gets ownership of the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ownership question

Hi there, Complete Newbie here so any help would be so appreciated! :) I've set up a test directory and am trying to figure out out how to ensure that all new files will remain owned by the directory owner... not the creator of the file?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get ownership info from LS

Hi, When I do the ls-ld command for example like this: # ls -ld /Applications I get an output like this: drwxrwxr-x+ 114 root admin 3876 18 Aug 14:04 /Applications I need to somehow use sed to put the ownership into a format like this: root:admin So basically remove... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding changing ownership and group

i am able to change the mode using chmod and able to change permission. but i am not able to change group and ownership. getting as invalid can any one help me regarding this . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

retain ownership

Hi, I have a script which transfers files/directories from one HP unix to another HP unix server using SCP but i need to retain ownership of files/folders same as source server my script is as follows cd /sasdata/TR_CNTO328/C0328T07/Dry_Run_1/Macros find . -type d -newer . -exec scp -pr {}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_spatil
6 Replies
SHOWMOUNT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SHOWMOUNT(8)

NAME
showmount - show mount information for an NFS server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/showmount [ -adehv ] [ --all ] [ --directories ] [ --exports ] [ --help ] [ --version ] [ host ] DESCRIPTION
showmount queries the mount daemon on a remote host for information about the state of the NFS server on that machine. With no options showmount lists the set of clients who are mounting from that host. The output from showmount is designed to appear as though it were pro- cessesed through ``sort -u''. OPTIONS
-a or --all List both the client hostname and mounted directory in host:dir format. -d or --directories List only the directories mounted by some client. -e or --exports Show the NFS server's export list. -h or --help Provide a short help summary. -v or --version Report the current version number of the program. --no-headers Suppress the descriptive headings from the output. SEE ALSO
rpc.mountd(8), rpc.nfsd(8) BUGS
The completeness and accurary of the information that showmount displays varies according to the NFS server's implementation. Because showmount sorts and uniqs the output, it is impossible to determine from the output whether a client is mounting the same directory more than once. AUTHOR
Rick Sladkey <jrs@world.std.com> 6 October 1993 SHOWMOUNT(8)