Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Alternatives to GNU Make for users of newer OS X Post 302949485 by Don Cragun on Saturday 11th of July 2015 03:39:12 PM
Old 07-11-2015
That is news to me. I just tried the following on Mac OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4:
Code:
$ cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main() {
	printf("Hello world.\n");
	return(0);
}
$ make hello
cc     hello.c   -o hello
$ ./hello
Hello world.
$

You do have to perform a free download of the Xcode development tools to get them, but once you do that gcc, make, and the other common development tools are readily available even if you don't use the Xcode tools to manage your source code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with gnu make

I am running a make file through the gnu make tool and i am getting the following error jsh1035c:/users/egate453/admegate/kapil/samples $ make -f GNUmakefile queue_c make -f ./GNUmakefile queue_c in_objdir=1 build_root=/users/egate453/admegate/kapil/samples make: Entering directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU's make error codes - list

Hi, I often encounter make errors. Many a times, a corresponding error code is also shown, like make: Error 56 (ignored) make: Error 91 (ignored) make: Error 96 (ignored) et al. I tried google'ing as well as searching this forum for what these error codes mean. I know, make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between PMake and GNU Make?

My system is ubuntu, can I use PMake ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
0 Replies

4. Programming

Detecting host OS in Gnu make

Is this possible? Right now I'm developing some code for Linux, Windows and OS X. To build on each of the systems I've currently got separate build targets for each platform. Ideally I'd like to set up a single make rule that can detect the appropriate target and build it. I know this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G_Morgan
2 Replies

5. SCO

GNU cpp and make on SCO

Installed GNU make and the GNU C/C++ compiler on SCO Openserver 5.0.7 recently. Only a normal user is able to run make and compile programs - root is not able to. Under root, make do run, but root can't access the compiler at all, even tho I set root's path to point to the compiler.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Librarian
0 Replies

6. Programming

A question about Makefile run by GNU make

Hello everybody, Currently I'm learning how to build projects (C programming) with GNU make. I have a problem with one Makefile and I would appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand. Here is the environment: OS: Redhat linux 5 compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

7. AIX

gnu make fir AIX 5.3 and gcc 3.3.2

Hi all i had installed gcc version 3.3.2 on my AIX 5.3 machine. which make utility i have to instal so it will fit the gcc version tnx skfn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skfn1203
2 Replies

8. AIX

Not picking up the GNU version of make

Hi team, I am new to unix,and need your advice on the below. I am using aix5.3 and have installed make-3.82 on the server. I need to use gmake for configuring and installing a package ,but it is giving error at the below root@sapsrp:/usr/tmp/xymon-4.3.2 # ./configure.server ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonal kumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU make doesn't pick up changes

It's been a while since I had to write a Makefile, but I've managed to clobber this together: SRC=module1.c module2.c OBJS=$(SRC:%.c=%.o) HDR=include1.h include2.h CC=gcc CFLAGS=-Wall -ggdb -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -I. -ansi all: program program: $(OBJS) $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJS) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

extension building make GNU Linux

Hi, I do "touch poub.mlc" Download my Makefile, But when I try : make -f Makefile.txt(.txt in order my file to be accepted for upload), it says:"no rule for poub.mlo target" What is wrong in my Makefile(test yourself please before posting)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: synhedionn
1 Replies
PULL-LP-SOURCE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 PULL-LP-SOURCE(1)

NAME
pull-lp-source - download a source package from Launchpad SYNOPSIS
pull-lp-source [options] source package [release|version] DESCRIPTION
pull-lp-source downloads and extracts the specified version of <source package> from Launchpad, or the latest version of the specified release. To request a version from a particular pocket say release-pocket (with a magic -release for only the release pocket). If no ver- sion or release is specified, the latest version in the development release will be downloaded. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for pull-lp-source: source package This is the source package that you would like to be downloaded from Launchpad. version This is the version of the source package to be downloaded. release This is the release that you would like the source package to be downloaded from. This value defaults to the current development release. -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -d, --download-only Do not extract the source package. -m UBUNTU_MIRROR, --mirror=UBUNTU_MIRROR Use the specified Ubuntu mirror. Should be in the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. If the package isn't found on this mir- ror, pull-lp-source will fall back to Launchpad, as its name implies. --no-conf Do not read any configuration files, or configuration from environment variables. ENVIRONMENT
All of the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES below are also supported as environment variables. Variables in the environment take precedence to those in configuration files. DIST Specifies the default target. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The following variables can be set in the environment or in ubuntu-dev-tools(5) configuration files. In each case, the script-specific variable takes precedence over the package-wide variable. PULL_LP_SOURCE_UBUNTU_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_MIRROR The default value for --mirror. SEE ALSO
dget(1), pull-debian-source(1), pull-debian-debdiff(1), ubuntu-dev-tools(5) AUTHOR
pull-lp-source and this manual page were written by Iain Lane <iain@orangesquash.org.uk>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. ubuntu-dev-tools 4 August 2008 PULL-LP-SOURCE(1)